Page: Previous  1, 2, 3

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:57 am 

*** fumbles among papers for vinyl royalties contract ***

:o

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:39 am 

Sure it's expired.

Let's do another :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:59 pm 

The missus is after jumping on Litecoin at the recommendation of a colleague. Who I believe bought some, waited until it had gone up a bit, then sold/removed the amount their initial investment was so they technically haven't lost anything if it goes tits up. Now they're left with what they're saying is pure profit.

I really dont know anything about investments other than you can make money, or lose money. But based on what this person told me, and reading this thread and some other articles around, I chucked 50 quid into Litecoin today. Reluctant to throw away any more than that but definitely interested to see where it goes.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:29 pm 

Bitcoin has the first mover advantage. Looks and smells like a bubble to me until it has some proper real life use cases apart from being a bloated blockchain currency that doesn't scale and with Litecoin it takes slightly less of an age to complete a transaction.

The only other difference between Litecoin and Bitcoin is that the supply of Litecoin is quadruple that of Bitcoin. The founder of Litecoin spends his time on twitter putting up pictures of chickens talking about the price...mind boggling.

There's also 100s of alt coins just like Litecoin. We shall see. Until you can buy a cup of coffee with these coins and the fee isn't higher than the actual cost of the coffee then it's just pure hyped/pumped up speculation. Wouldn't be surprised that this frenzy continues for years to come however so if you can make some money out of it, fair play but be aware of the huge risks.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:54 pm 

hellfire wrote:
mickO))) wrote:
hellfire wrote:
I would be very wary of any Bitcoin dealer who asked for a scan of my passport.

This pretty much sums up the bitcoin fad at the moment.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
Bitcoins have no real world utility or actual worth. Their worth is not estimated in any verifiable way.

Problem was I am not currently in Ireland so that's why I had to do it that way. It was a one purchase so hopefully won't need to get anymore in the future.

Sorry, that wasn't a dig at you. More about people who buy them for speculation than actually buying things.

Ah yeah no worries I knew that because I only bought bitcoin because it was the only payment option I was given.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:13 pm 

hellfire wrote:
I would be very wary of any Bitcoin dealer who asked for a scan of my passport.

Why? It's the law - "Know your customer" regulations are intended to prevent money laundering.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:13 pm 

hellfire wrote:
I would be very wary of any Bitcoin dealer who asked for a scan of my passport. This pretty much sums up the bitcoin fad at the moment.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
Bitcoins have no real world utility or actual worth. Their worth is not estimated in any verifiable way.

The only fools are the people that didn't buy when it was dirt cheap :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:32 am 

kevb wrote:
Also like the idea of their masked authenticated messaging - basically someone could develop a tangle based system that eliminates the middle man (spotify/itunes/google play/bandcamp etc) and musicians can stream their music directly to the consumers and get real-time micro-payments (IOTA) for each second played. Musicians could adjust the fees and setup their own streaming/payment structure.

https://blog.iota.org/introducing-maske ... 5c1822d50e

Matt and others are obviously looking into this.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/former ... aid-first/

Also - all cryptocurrencies are down hugely the past few weeks. Is it a prolonged dip or the panic crash starting to happen?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:34 pm 

Interesting but I can't see any part of this that can't just be done with existing cryptographic and database technology.

It's the problem with nearly every product suggestion for blockchain besides currency, it's a solution without a problem. Every value-add requires an application layer, in this case you could buy the token but you still need an application to exchange it for music. So why not just use a database, which doesn't require a network with a quora of stable nodes and has decades of battle-hardened development?

There are really cool blockchain innovations happening; e.g. the Stellar network, but we're miles from seeing it ubiquitous.

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3