Back
  Buying Bitcoin?

Page: 1, 2, 3  Next

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:54 pm 

Is it possible to buy Bitcoin via PayPal or something. Lots of sites saying they do it but they look really dodgy.

Anyone done it? Recommended sites?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:45 am 

You could just send your money to me instead. It'd be less of a waste.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:45 am 

You can but the sites that offer it usually have a shitty conversion rate and get stung for fees. I did it a while back, just to get a btc balance in my wallet. I'll try to find the crowd I did it with (the process was a little convoluted from what I recall).

There are alternatives. Like meeting up with someone and physically doing a transaction (using phone apps), or buying through a broker using bank details (https://www.eircoin.net is one in Ireland).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:20 am 

There was a lad (a couple of lads actually..) in the office who bought Bitcoin just before that last big surge in their value. At one stage one of them was up a couple of grand in the space of a week but he held on too late and their worth dropped overnight something shocking.. If memory serves he still stood to earn a couple of hundred quid even at that and then this..

http://fusion.net/story/4947/the-mtgox- ... explained/

..happened and he lost the heap

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:59 am 

It'll be back up again, and down again, no doubt.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:42 pm 

ragnarok wrote:
There was a lad (a couple of lads actually..) in the office who bought Bitcoin just before that last big surge in their value. At one stage one of them was up a couple of grand in the space of a week but he held on too late and their worth dropped overnight something shocking.. If memory serves he still stood to earn a couple of hundred quid even at that and then this..

http://fusion.net/story/4947/the-mtgox- ... explained/

..happened and he lost the heap

Similar thing happened to a guy I work with. He had bought/received a free coin early on when they started and mined some others. He sold his to Mtgox who'd turn it into real money for him. Then they went bust and he got a letter sent to him telling him the company had gone under and that he was on a long list of people who would likely never see any money from them. That was sometime in August/September I think.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:59 pm 

Thankfully I'm not buying it to make money, just theres a website that's asking Bitcoin only payments.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:37 pm 

a website selling "fun stuff" perhaps?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:52 pm 

They're not taking roubles at russianbrides.com any more.

:-(

Actually I'm trying to watch NFL on the cheap.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:44 pm 

Any other alternatives to the silk road?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:51 pm 

Too many bad memories.... I lost quite a few when the first silk road got busted :-(

Must say I bought my first bitcoins with 'cash in the post' method. No footprints. Started small so wasn't a risk to begin with as such. Then started investing in things and had some fun with them. Lost quite a few as i said but i was still ahead when everything was added up. Almost impossible to mine them from a standard home PC.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:51 pm 

Alright, who held onto a few and wants to bankroll the next 50 MI podcasts? :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:29 pm 

Oh fuck.

Please, PLEASE don't. At least unless you really know what you're doing.

We're starting to get out of the territory where everyone invested in this can afford to get hurt and it's a sorry sight.

I'm not sceptical of the technology or potential but we're headed for an adjustment of big-fecking-bells-on scale and I can't watch.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:35 pm 

Just saw the date of the first post, yeah you definitely should've bought then :lol:

Think that's around the time I got 5000 free Lumen for signing up to a website. They were worth $0.05 back then or something. The whole lot is worth about $1000 now.

How To Know You're In A Bubble For Dummies.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:41 pm 

Midhir wrote:
Oh fuck.

Please, PLEASE don't. At least unless you really know what you're doing.

Didn't think there was quite as much opposition to more podcasts! :shock: I swear we're improving!!

But seriously, you're right. It's been up and down before but this is absolutely nutty at the moment. Since mining became totally impractical, most people I know who were involved divested themselves, but clearly more speculative parties have jumped on board.

There will be a human cost when it comes down and it won't be pretty. Plenty of mad stories on r/Bitcoin.

Page: 1, 2, 3  Next