Back
  Brexit

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:23 am 

Lads, what just happened?...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:27 am 

Very short sighted in my view. It could end up sundering the UK itself considering how the vote went in Scotland.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:37 am 

Yep, that would be strange indeed. Ireland in the EU, NI out, England & Wales out, and then what... Scotland gets independence and rejoins the EU? How nutty would that be. I wonder, on the back of this, are Ireland facing back into recession or do we have enough US funding here at the minute to keep things moving forward... Not into the idea of long tracts of time rotting on the dole again. I've done it, thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:24 am 

The writing was on the wall that it was going to happen. The last minute polls that the Remain were ahead were nonsense. I hardly saw any posters for Remain compared with the Leave ones here in the east (near Cambridge). It has been far more hateful than any election I can remember with the word "traitor" being used by the Brexit side. Painting all Brexit supporters are ignorant racists was a big mistake.

I'd be surprised if Scotland don't leave the UK in the near future with the value of the Pound gone down the pan. The only positive I can think of is that given how far the currency has fallen it helps exports outside of Europe.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:26 am 

First reaction:

Maniacs indeed, but I guess it shows the power of lies and fear. It doesn't strike me as a rational move but I guess those old imperial fires still burn strong, that Britain still thinks it can stand alone and be a big cheese in global cheesetown.

It's hard to guess how it's going to go for us. On one hand, it's reasonable to think that, as the only English speaking member of the EU, we are now clearly the gateway of choice for US business. You'd expect the financial centres in London are going to take a hit, too, with much of it moving here. On the downside, so much of our trade is with the UK and how damaging it is depends on how much wriggle room we have within the EU agreements we have signed up to, to negotiate our own deals with the UK.

It does feel like they've made a huge, huge mistake.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:29 am 

Also, what impact does this have on MI? Will my future posts be subject to import duty?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:35 am 

The financial stuff will be going directly to Frankfurt.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:44 am 

Cameron has stepped down. So we're now facing a very real possibility of Boris Johnson in No.10, Donald Trump in the Whitehouse and let's not forget Putin is still in the Kremlin.

We're fucked lads.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:45 am 

The real question is will this make Bloodstock cheaper for those going?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:45 am 

I hope that the EU is equally as hard-line with them as it has been for some of the smaller nations

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:55 am 

jonrhine wrote:

Sterling is down from 75p to the Euro to 81p overnight, so yeah, if it keeps falling like that, you'll get a better exchange rate.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:57 am 

At least we won't need to go as far as Poland for cheap stag weekends anymore...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:11 am 

The English lads in work are gettin a right going over today

Anything going on at all.. such as training.. or free ice cream ends with 'sorry.. it's for EU members only' :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:12 am 

Motörbastard wrote:
jonrhine wrote:

Sterling is down from 75p to the Euro to 81p overnight, so yeah, if it keeps falling like that, you'll get a better exchange rate.

Unfortunitly I'm on the opposite end, working in Uk but living in Ireland so while my wages are still the same in sterling I was used to calculating them to euro and now when my wages went into my account yesterday and the difference in euros this morning is minus €70 :(

And as someone else pointed out, im only basing this on manchester / salford but my letter box had at least a new out flyer a day the last month compaired to 1 or 2 remain for whole month...i seen more out the remain bus shelter posters and also only saw out and no remain on those hugh road side and over pass motorway adverts...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:14 am 

That's not good for the majority of our exports though. Our financial sector might get some boost but won't offset it.

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next