Back
  Brexit

Page: Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:56 am 

Eoin McLove wrote:

Pretty good read, this line especially ->

"The lopsided type of capitalism that exists today is inherently unstable and cannot be democratically legitimated. The error of progressive thinkers in all the main parties was to imagine that the discontent of large sections of the population could be appeased by offering them what was at bottom a continuation of the status quo."

footloose ´╗┐onstead heinous vermifugal newssheet
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:55 pm 

I don't agree with all the views presented in this video, but it's quite funny to see the tables turned, revealing the ignorance at work on both sides of this incredibly badly formulated referendum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfRK9e7PwQk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:27 pm 

So Boris Johnson is elected as the new foreign secretary....You can't make this shit up

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:33 pm 

Makes perfect sense. Pick a man who has pissed off a large amount of people in the world, to be foreign secretary, when we need to negotiate trade agreements. Brilliant work, off to stirling start.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:42 pm 

It will be a laugh at least.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:53 pm 

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/st ... heresa-may

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:24 am 

She's a crafty divil giving him that job. In one fell swoop oul Boris is taken out of the picture. Keep your enemies close and give them the tricky jobs. FF did it with the Greens and FG with Labour.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:49 am 

justincredible wrote:
You have to admit though, it is rather handy to have mastered the English language. Done us no harm at all really.

But how many other languages can you speak? Most in Ireland struggle with English. Many foreigners claim not to speak English but can say " I don't speak English " in better English than those who can't even speak English

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:18 am 

Yeah I'd be inclined to agree. I work with lads from India, Italy, Greece, Spain, Japan and every single one of them is able to communicate pretty well in English and are of course completely fluent in their own languages.

Meanwhile I had Irish lessons until I left secondary school and I wouldn't be able to string a sentence together. Studied German for five years in secondary and again I'd barely be able to do more than introduce myself.

That could be down to the education system but as a nation we've pretty weak linguistic skills.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:46 pm 

The classroom is a less then ideal situation for learning another language the best way to learn it is to move to a country that speaks that language then you will have a good grasp of it within a matter of months that's why so many foreigners have no problem learning it.

The reason people are so bad at Irish is because from day one in school it's drilled into us that it's worthless and just something you have to learn which is a shame because it's only towards the end of school or just after you finish that you actually realise how important the language is.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:26 pm 

Put aside 20 minutes a day for duo lingo on the phone(I do it in the morning) and in six months you're flying. It's free, and although limited in scope, it's the best thing going for those wanting to brush up on the gaeilge (or various other languages) who don't have the time to go to classes or swot up at home.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:30 am 

:shock:

https://politicalscrapbook.net/2017/02/ ... telegraph/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:25 pm 

Caomhaoin wrote:
Put aside 20 minutes a day for duo lingo on the phone(I do it in the morning) and in six months you're flying. It's free, and although limited in scope, it's the best thing going for those wanting to brush up on the gaeilge (or various other languages) who don't have the time to go to classes or swot up at home.

Is there a Polish version by any chance? The wife's parents live in Ireland over 10 years now and still have pretty basic English so it would be cool to embarrass them with some eloquent, well-spoken Polish.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:40 pm 

fyfe79 wrote:
Is there a Polish version by any chance? The wife's parents live in Ireland over 10 years now and still have pretty basic English so it would be cool to embarrass them with some eloquent, well-spoken Polish.

Yeah there is a Polish version.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:54 pm 

Iron Aiden wrote:

Wow! :lol:

Page: Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next