Back
  Brexit

Page: Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:04 am 

I think it was Suzanne Evans, (UKIP Bitch), who said that England doesn't need the rest of Europe, Europe needs Britain. What a stupid moronic bastard, to think that a country could exist and run with out the trading with other countries.
She thinks countries should give to Britain but they shouldn't give back in return. What a dozy Cunt she is.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:54 pm 

Its nearly as mind numbing as listening to some dublin morons who think that anything south of the red cow is the equivalent to the dark ages.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:59 pm 

Yeah that's ridiculous. The madness doesn't kick in till around Kilmacanogue.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:37 pm 

Oskorei wrote:
Its nearly as mind numbing as listening to some dublin morons who think that anything south of the red cow is the equivalent to the dark ages.

Finished a college course recently where I did part time lectures in Dublin. Two bucks in the class firmly believed your point. Same as country folk who think all dubs are heroin junkies I suppose. Idiots are everywhere.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:00 pm 

Well, this doesn’t appear to be going well at all. Are they hoping someone will step in and put a halt to it so they don’t lose face? It’s hard to imagine how much worse a job they could have done thus far.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:39 pm 

Juggz wrote:
Well, this doesn’t appear to be going well at all. Are they hoping someone will step in and put a halt to it so they don’t lose face? It’s hard to imagine how much worse a job they could have done thus far.

Harsh reality is an awful thing isn't it...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:40 pm 

It's all gone very Pete Tong. Dropping like flies they are. It's just an utter shambles.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:49 pm 

What is the feeling towards it up North now? Is there any pressure being put on the DUP to pull support given it wasn’t supported by the majority in the first place?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:12 pm 

The EU is on a few levels an intensely dislikeable unit, and I can understand why the leavers won, to an extent. They are not all Farage-disciples and little Englanders, despite what despicable pseudo intellectuals like Laurie Penney like to make out. Most of the most passionate remainers couldn't name you a single EU commissioner. But good god, it is embarrassing how it's gone, banana republic style organization skills. The simple explanation is that few expected the result.

But this is the EU, and remembering back to our own Lisbon treaty(the same happened in 7 other member states on other referenda)the 'wrong' decision can easily be righted with correctly applied pressure. I'd be very, very surprised if a clean break happens now. The vultures are circling...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:14 pm 

I wouldn't put it past Teresa May to have decided to sacrifice her political career in order to prevent any Brexit.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:30 pm 

Juggz wrote:
What is the feeling towards it up North now? Is there any pressure being put on the DUP to pull support given it wasn’t supported by the majority in the first place?

Not really, considering DUP voters went with Leave.

http://theconversation.com/how-northern-ireland-voted-in-the-eu-referendum-and-what-it-means-for-border-talks-76677

Quote:
Examining data from the 2016 Northern Ireland Assembly election study, conducted close to the time of the referendum, it emerges that there was a very strong ethnonational basis to voting. It seems 85% of Catholics voted Remain, compared to only 40% of Protestants.

The differences are even starker when one considers how the respondents described their own ideological position and identity. Of those who identified as nationalists, 88% voted Remain, compared to only 34% of those who described themselves as unionists. And 87% of “Irish” respondents voted Remain compared to only 37% of “British” respondents. That said, voting was not only ethnonational. Both Protestants and Catholics were split – though Protestants were much more polarised.

The Shinners, unsurprisingly, are seeing this as an opportunity for a border poll and are heavily pushing for it. The SDLP, who are near extinction anyway, are somewhere in the middle. But seem more enthused about Mairia Cahill joining them.

Considering Arlene's recent comments about leaving the country should there be a united Ireland and her out of the blue outreach to Muslims, LGBT and Catholics, I suspect a large number of DUP supporters are currently asking themselves a lot of questions. Look what happened when Terence O'Neill tried similar tactics.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:14 am 

Caomhaoin wrote:
The EU is on a few levels an intensely dislikeable unit, and I can understand why the leavers won, to an extent. They are not all Farage-disciples and little Englanders, despite what despicable pseudo intellectuals like Laurie Penney like to make out. Most of the most passionate remainers couldn't name you a single EU commissioner. But good god, it is embarrassing how it's gone, banana republic style organization skills. The simple explanation is that few expected the result.

But this is the EU, and remembering back to our own Lisbon treaty(the same happened in 7 other member states on other referenda)the 'wrong' decision can easily be righted with correctly applied pressure. I'd be very, very surprised if a clean break happens now. The vultures are circling...

Yeah, although it was promised there would only be one referendum. A lot of talk of Brexit Lite or a second referendum. They should have put someone who wanted Brexit in charge of it. The less interfering the Irish government do between now and March the better for everyone too.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:53 am 

The main problem is surely the ones who pushed for Brexit never actually wanted it, not in any real sense, outside of their chest-thumping empire fastasies? It's clear the Brexit pushers never thought any deeper about it than visualising a nice parade and some flag waving while singing Land of Hope and Glory. There is nothing I have seen to convince me that this is anything but a monumental catastrophe for the UK for probably the next fifty years. Given Ireland is the only nation in Europe which shares a border with the UK, I think their participation is actually quite important, no? It's also a significant blow for all of Europe, given our history of frequently having wars with each other. The peace which has existed throughout all of our lifetimes has been taken for granted, I believe. Brexit is a devisive tool which, unless it dies, is going to destroy a lot more than it creates. Then again, given the kind of information Carole Cadwalladr is digging up, maybe that was the whole idea?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:55 am 

I'd echo what people have said - I don't think anyone actually expected it to go through. I think those that pushed for it merely did so did it entirely for personal gain with the mistaken reassurance that there was no way the public would actually go ahead and vote to leave the EU.

That none of the big names that "wanted" it are still around is telling. May is stuck with a poison pill and there's nothing she can do about it. They've just around 260 days left now before they're automatically ejected from the EU and there's no plan in place.

Our government has to be involved. Not only are we the only country to share a physical border, we've a long and very intertwined history and economic relationship with them. We don't have to be cunts about it, but we can't sit back and be used as a bartering chip by either the UK or the EU.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:44 pm 

I was watching a debate on it before the vote. Someone asked one of the pro Brexit politicians how the land border issues with the EU will be solved and he started rambling on about Gibraltar for a while until the guy that asked the question pointed out he was talking about the North.

There was absolutely no thought put into the whole thing, it just comes off like a power play in the Tory party that went completely tits up

Page: Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next