Back
  Football 2017/18

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:23 pm 

That time of year again, innit.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:32 pm 

Disappointed Spurs hasn't done any business except for selling. Pulling an Arsenal. Can't expect to do well in all the competitions+league with a lackluster bench. Strong 11 though but any injuries and I worry for us.

Also - thanks to Man Utd, City n Chelsea for making an absolute shambles of the transfer market. Pure insanity. Obviously Paris Saint-Germain decided they could fuck it up more. Where does it end?

Setup a fantasy footy league there would ya? :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:36 pm 

I can't remember who sets up the MI one. Ollkiller maybe..

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:40 pm 

Ah the early season optimism, when everything is still possible...

Looking forward to seeing Arsenal in the Europa League. The yearly coasting through the group stages before getting destroyed by Barca or Bayern had become a bit tiring

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:42 pm 

Emphyrio wrote:
I can't remember who sets up the MI one. Ollkiller maybe..

Twas hick. I'll get on to him to see if he's set up one for this year. If he's not ill set one up tonight and post here.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:50 pm 

Tomorrow night sees the opening game of the new Premier League season and with it 9 months of shouting at teenage millionaires, telling your friends "that fucker is useless" as you dribble your taco fries all over yourself, stressing over whether Barcelona will take one of your team for £120 million, listening to your mate while he tries to convince himself that the Manchester United 3rd jersey is good value at €87 in Lifestyle Sports - "I'll get the the whole season out of it if I buy it now" and trying to justify the cost of the sports packages to your better half whilst still going to the pub to watch most of the games.

For some of us, it's a time for reflection as the mighty Liverpool make a balls of their opening 4 games, then regroup and batter the shite out of everyone else in the top ten for a good portion of the season only to fall apart at the sight of Huddersfield and leave me pacing the floor of my living room on the last day of the season desperately waiting for news of if LFC will finish 4th.

For others among us, it's a period for pause and a look at their schedules to determine which Thursdays to finish work early and dash to a pub in order to witness Arsenal's 1545hrs kick-off against the winners of the Mongolian Desert Premiership, Ulaanbaatar City, in their first group game of the Europa League.

Then there are the mighty few that seem to follow the winning team, those once proud Manchester City die-hards who now know the best pubs in Leicester in which to have a post-match pint but were standing up for John Terry in the 26th minute last season because "JT is like me, Chelsea to the core. Always have always will be....... Spurs are looking good this season, aren't they?"

Ah yes, the Premier League is back, it's up next and it's illegally streaming... LIVE!!!!!!!!

Should have started a new thread earlier but I'm a moron.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:45 am 

Hmmmm. Either FSG are holding out for £150 million or they've decided that selling their best players every year probably isn't helping matters.

Cue Coutinho going to Barcelona on the last day of the transfer window and Sky Sports News' David White spontaneously combusting...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:36 pm 

He's going nowhere..just people trying to rattle the cage

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:46 pm 

They'll look awful spineless now, even if a huge sum is offered. There isn't a lot of time/options to find a replacement if they were to sell him now too. He recently signed a contract and really don't like it when a player refuses to play in an effort to push the move. I'd love if Liverpool could get van Dyke (£60m is still outrageous) but he's not being very diplomatic about pushing for a move and Liverpool totally ballsed up the initial approach, so Southampton will be loath to sell him now. Liverpool still have deficiencies at the back, enough so that I'd rule them out of a title challenge and on top of that, if Coutinho was to go I think top 4 might elude them.

Luckily Spurs' circumstances are such that they too will also struggle for top 4.

I reckon (in no particular order) the top 3 will be City, Chelsea, Arsenal
4-6 (again in no particular order) Liverpool, Spurs, United.

Everton could easily knock one of the 4-6 out of European places too I think.

Very tough season to call, more so than usual maybe.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:53 pm 

Liverpool will certainly look spineless and also heartless if they sell him after this latest announcement. While I agree that one great player (and I think that he has another level in him yet) does not a football team make - it has to be be said that LFC do not have that many great players.

They have the makings of a title winning team - as said above - the defence is lacking but if they sell Coutinho they'll have lost the confidence/respect of the fans and probably any chance of doing something of note this season.

Keeping Sturridge fit & firing and building up Origi would see them much stronger also.

EDIT: And as if by magic - https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer ... -1.3183630

For. Fuck. Sake.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:59 pm 

T'was almost inevitable. Obviously Liverpool are shitting it because they will struggle to get a replacement of sufficient quality in time

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:46 pm 

Rakitic being touted as a makeweight in part of the deal now.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:14 pm 

Good start for Arsenal despite some Almunia-esque antics from Cech. This will probably lay the foundation for the pre-christmas title hope that is inevitably crushed by late February.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:21 am 

kevb wrote:
Disappointed Spurs hasn't done any business except for selling. Pulling an Arsenal. Can't expect to do well in all the competitions+league with a lackluster bench.

What made you think Spurs would try early signings for a change?? Once they don't end up wasting £30m on the last day again I'll be happy!

Sold one player for a good price - Trippier must be worth €60m on the basis of that transfer!! Funny that City left him go so cheaply and paid €50m for a lesser replacement down the line!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:29 pm 

Zlatan signed up for another year and announced it in typically humble fashion

https://twitter.com/Ibra_official/statu ... 9027100677

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next