Back
  Football 2017/18

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:41 am 

I was still willing to give Wenger a chance, looked re-energised after the cup won, change of formation seemed to bring the best out of the players, decent striker finally brought in to take the workload off Giroud...but another clusterfuck with the summer transfers, the mental lineups he's put out so far culminating in the shambles at Liverpool...sad to see but his time is up

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:04 am 

prof. wedgie wrote:
I was still willing to give Wenger a chance, looked re-energised after the cup won, change of formation seemed to bring the best out of the players, decent striker finally brought in to take the workload off Giroud...but another clusterfuck with the summer transfers, the mental lineups he's put out so far culminating in the shambles at Liverpool...sad to see but his time is up

He was always on the back foot this season after a lot of people wanted him gone last season.
Unless Arsenal do a Chelsea and flirt with relegation in the bottom half of the table he'll be going nowhere Id say.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:39 am 

They were the worst i've ever seen them on par with the 8-2 at Old Trafford a few years back. I couldn't believe how naive they were at times, especially Bellerin for that Salah goal. You're the last man back with a man on the press - you fucking kick that ball first time into the loaded box, not try to control the fucking thing. Unbelievable.

Utd are looking good so far. Another 3 wins if they can manage it after the international break and they'll be in decent stead.

I still expect City and Chelsea to come good in the near future after rocky-ish starts.

1. City
2. Utd
3. Chelsea
4. Spurs
5. Liverpool
6. Everton

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:46 am 

I honestly thought it was worse than the 8-2 result. At least that was a team cobbled together with youth players due to loads of injuries, against Liverpool was a full strength team

I reckon end of season it's going to be
1. City
2. Utd
3. Liverpool
4. Chelsea
5. Spurs
6. Arsenal (being biased, but Everton will probably finish ahead)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:29 am 

Sanchez smirking away to himself on the bench was the standout image of the day, for me. If I was Arsene, I'd be delighted for him to fuck off somewhere.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:55 pm 

Despite United's excellent start, I'm not sure they'll finish that high. Matic is a brilliant signing admittedly but I dunno if that'll be enough. A lot depends on if Lukaku ups his game against the bigger teams. Against teams up til now is no fair way to gauge him.

Watching Liverpool vs Arsenal was pure bliss. Everything seemed to come together. I just worry that there will be many frustrating days where teams sit too deep for that style of play to be effective. Arsenal were indeed abject, but Liverpool were unplayable on the day.

It's been a long fuckin summer of shite with transfer sagas so I'll be glad to see the window shut.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:25 pm 

Emphyrio wrote:
It's been a long fuckin summer of shite with transfer sagas so I'll be glad to see the window shut.

That never stopped the stream of transfer shite before. The day after deadline day you'll have gossip about X club making a move for so-and-so in January. Long been the case that the hype is bigger than the event itself.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:32 pm 

Liverpool flatter to deceive though. They just don't have the squad depth to do anything really serious. I'd love to be proven wrong but that pace they play at, they'll be bollixed come April. Don't rate Oxlade Chamerlain either..no idea why they want to sign him.

Chelsea on the other hand seem to have so many options. I'm not sold on Morata but I think he'll do enough and there's plenty other lads capable of banging in goals. I think they're the team that could do it. Utd looking good but the team still looks a little lopsided at times. It'll be them 2 and possibly City at the end of the season. I'd be surprised if Chelsea don't retain the title though.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:54 pm 

pedro wrote:
Liverpool flatter to deceive though. They just don't have the squad depth to do anything really serious. I'd love to be proven wrong but that pace they play at, they'll be bollixed come April. Don't rate Oxlade Chamerlain either..no idea why they want to sign him.

Oh I know it's unlikely Liverpool will be able to keep the first 11 fit with the way they play. I'm just hoping they have a bit more luck than last season and they don't happen around the same time. And it's all well and good destroying Arsenal. Will they be able to break down the likes of Bournemouth etc. That'll dictate how high they finish come May.

As for Oxlade Chamberlain :roll: And he's looking for 180k a week. Outrageous.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:36 am 

Emphyrio wrote:
As for Oxlade Chamberlain :roll: And he's looking for 180k a week. Outrageous.

Chamberlain pictured in a Liverpool shirt is all over Twitter.

Jesus wept. This is a bizarre move from Liverpool. £40m fee plus an insane (£120k from Liverpool - Arsenal apparently offered him £180k a week to stay) weekly wage, I know there's a premium on English players but fucking hell. They have enough players in that mould already. I'd nearly have taken Walcott instead. What Liverpool need is a goalkeeper who can catch the ball and doesn't go into meltdown every time the ball swings into his box. That and a defender to marshal the line.

This must mean that Can, Coutinho and Origi are on the way out.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:59 pm 

He'll definitely add a tonne of pace and hook up well with what is already a blistering attack pace-wise. He's no thinking man's player but I can see what Klopp is up to. The money is a joke though.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:17 pm 

Can Arsenal just not be Arsenal for one measley day!! Just for once dont sell your best player to a rival you spineless shnakes!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:08 pm 

pedro wrote:
He'll definitely add a tonne of pace and hook up well with what is already a blistering attack pace-wise. He's no thinking man's player but I can see what Klopp is up to. The money is a joke though.

I'm not sure another pacey player is what's required. Klopp now seems to want to almost bypass midfield and with 3 quick boyos up front, I think that's plenty. I know that sometimes when Henderson and Can play together, play slows up a bit. This was definitely evident last year and worried they didn't work as a pair. That wasn't evident against Arsenal, but that has to be taken with a grain of salt this early in the campaign. A central midfielder should really be a bit of a thinking man's player, as you refer to. Lallana is better in that sense. I think Ox might be good to add depth but I wouldn't have him in the starting 11 with a fully fit squad, even if Coutinho were still to leave. That's a hefty amount to be paying for a fella to be sitting on the bench though. I really can't fathom why a decent CB wasn't pursued more. The VVD thing was a fuckin mess but for fuck sake, look elsewhere. I'd even be ok with the keeper situation if we solidified the defence.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:08 pm 

Yep he's not going to change the world there. If they think just running like fuck at the opposition and with a shit defence and goalie is going to win anything then nothing has changed. It'll be entertaining but there'll be too many draws and close defeats by shit teams playing that way. Pity because I really like the front players they have.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:55 pm 

Ireland... Fuck sake!

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next