Back
  Laptop help..windows 10

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:19 am 

Before I take a hammer to this bollocks of a laptop can anyone help.

3-4 month old HP windows 10 from factory... Amd processor.

Not used an awful lot,turned on last night,updated to 74%...said couldn't complete updates...undoing updates....just does the same over again.

Looking online it seems to be a problem...
got it running again by force powering off and it went into repair mode and restored it back a few weeks....worked for a while until turned off/on again....then into the restore loop again..any ideas????

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:32 am 

Can you boot it into safe mode and disable the Windows Update service? It looks like one of the patches isn't working for you, this should stop it patching and give you a bit of time to figure out what's going on.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:49 pm 

Thanks,looking forward to wasting an evening fucking about with it :(

Apparently there some Windows 10 update troubleshooter thing,I'll maybe try it first.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:05 pm 

Just did a factory reset (reinstalled win 10) and kept my files.....lost some bookmarks etc but nothing too drastic.So far so good.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:18 am 

Remove any anti virus for the upgrade as Win 10 doesn't like them an will cause the down load to loop and loop.. once the system is updated use the Win 10 defender software..
hope it helps..

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:53 pm 

Korgull wrote:
Remove any anti virus for the upgrade as Win 10 doesn't like them an will cause the down load to loop and loop.. once the system is updated use the Win 10 defender software..
hope it helps..

Thanks,the reinstall seems to have worked, I was wondering had anti virus anything to do with it as I had put the free Avira on to it.It came with a Macaffee months trial....is it worth keeping it going or is windows defender good enough.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:56 am 

Brox wrote:
Korgull wrote:
hope it helps..

Thanks,the reinstall seems to have worked, I was wondering had anti virus anything to do with it as I had put the free Avira on to it.It came with a Macaffee months trial....is it worth keeping it going or is windows defender good enough.

I've been using Windows Defender on a new pc for the past few months..its working fine (once updated). The AVG free software that i used prior to Win10 caused a lot of issues on Win 10..
I also use Spyware blaster & Spybot (both free) and they work well in the background to stop malware..