Back
  Living and working in Dublin

Page: 1, 2, 3  Next

High Above The Rolling Waves, In Labyrinths Of Coral Caves...
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:18 pm 

I have a Skype interview on Tuesday morning for a position in Dublin. It's 80% of a full time position and it is very relevant to my area of work but it is only for four months and I need to know what sort of salary I would require for this to be financially viable.

I have heard the nightmares about housing in Dublin so how much would I be expecting to pay within an hour's walk of Trinity (job is in that area)?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:50 pm 

Check Daft.ie and Rent.ie for prices mate but those accommodation horror stories you hear about are very real. You haven't a hope of getting anything decent unless you give up over half your monthly salary (I'm talking well over a grand).
I know a guy who was offered a nice room in a nice apartment for €1200 a month. When he went for the viewing he noticed there was a single bed and a bunk bed in the bedroom. Three guys sharing the same bedroom for the price of a mortgage out in the sticks. Fuck that!
Good luck with the house hunting.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:17 am 

Moved out of Dublin over two years ago. Rent became too expensive and it worked out cheaper to buy a gaff outside the county. Living in Meath now, still working in Dublin. The commute took a bit of getting used to but it's manageable. I genuinely feel sorry for anyone looking to rent in Dublin these days. Unless you know someone, you're completely at the mercy of landlords. I just had a look there on Daft out of interest, shocking stuff altogether. Unless you're on serious money, I don't see how anyone could afford to rent in Dublin.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:35 am 

Daft.ie is an accurate reflection of what you can expect to pay, sadly. It's mental and the horror stories seem to be quite real too. One of the interns here was telling us of a bedsit he looked at where it was so cramped he could have made a fry while sitting on the bed and also having to share a toilet and shower with the rest of the occupants.

I was raised in Dublin but left for the sticks 10 years ago as the cost of living there just did not relate to the quality of life there. Rental prices have gone full retard over the last few years, even compared to the Celtic Tiger peak.

Factor in your commuting time and costs before you commit to anything.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:17 am 

I live in the area you're talking about. I'm lucky in that my landlord is sound and has left the rent under market price for years now.

It's 1025e a month for me for a one bedroom apartment. On top of the rent - bills work out at 50e a month for broadband and then about another 80e a month for gas + electricity (paid every two months, but averages at 80e a month). A weekly food shop ballparks around 50e - I shop in Dunnes and use their vouchers to get 10e off when you spend 50e.

So before I've done anything for the month I'm paying out at least 1355e.

They say you should try budget to spend about 30-40% of your monthly salary on rent/bills. I spend a little bit more then 40% and I know I'm paying under market value for my apartment.

If you're only going to be here for four months, my recommendation would be to just try find shared accommodation. They're easier to walk into and out of than letting a place out yourself, which the landlord will probably want you in for at least a year.

High Above The Rolling Waves, In Labyrinths Of Coral Caves...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:42 am 

Thanks for the replies lads. I will be looking at just getting a room in a house of 6 or 7 or whatever.

Having a look on Daft.ie and looking at places in Harold's (Upside Down) Cross, Rathgar, anywhere else I should look? Don't mind walking an hour to work but ideally not much longer. Cheapest I'm seeing there is E500 a month and that is for a pokey place. Add in bills and that's probably closer to E700 a month, then food...will be a dry 4 months so!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:44 am 

I'd agree with Jesus Phish and go for a room in an apartment or gaff rather than renting something all to yourself. It'll be cheaper and you shouldn't have to sign a 6/12 month contract.

I'm living in Bachelors Walk at the moment, moved in two years ago at 1300 per month - One bed apartment for me and the misses, plus bills etc.. on top of that. Doesn't sound too bad split between two people but its a cunt and relative to the salary earned. Only reason we're still here is the location and the fact we've decided to fuck off to NZ in the new year. Landlord was sound enough to let us stay for an unspecified time (did up a special contract where we can leave any time we decide) and not increase the rent!

But yeah, if I were you I'd be looking maybe at a room in a gaff in Drumcondra/Fairview/Marino area. Not too far from Town, could definitely walk or cycle it easy enough and the rent for a room per month shouldn't be killer.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:45 am 

Jesus Christ at those prices lads.

Me sister and her husband paid off the mortgage this year. They're comfortable but not minted, both early to mid 40s.

Bless living in the sticks.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:53 am 

The recession period certainly worked out for nama/landlords/vulture funds/investors/airbnb wankers.

Renters be damned..it's an absolute shambles of a market and it shows no signs of abating.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:02 am 

Word to the wise, if you see a place in Cabra Park on daft and the price seems too good to be true, it is - the place is rotten.

Given that you are working in the city centre (around trinity yeah ?) have a look around anywhere on the red luas line, the green line might be a bit too expensive.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:05 am 

TemplarOfSteel wrote:
Thanks for the replies lads. I will be looking at just getting a room in a house of 6 or 7 or whatever.

Having a look on Daft.ie and looking at places in Harold's (Upside Down) Cross, Rathgar, anywhere else I should look? Don't mind walking an hour to work but ideally not much longer. Cheapest I'm seeing there is E500 a month and that is for a pokey place. Add in bills and that's probably closer to E700 a month, then food...will be a dry 4 months so!

Is the job in Trinity itself or just in the area?

Christchurch, Grand Canal Dock, Harold's Cross, IFSC, Kilmainham, Mountjoy Square, Phibsborough, Smithfield and Stoneybatter. A few of these places (GCD and IFSC) are likely way out of your price range, but other's you might get lucky.

I'd put all of those within an hours walk of the Trinity Area. Also anywhere in Dublin 2 and parts of Dublin 1, 7 and 8 are the same.

It might also be worth having a look at how much it would cost to get a train or the luas in and see if you could rent further out and commute along one of those lines.

DuckyDoodleFace wrote:

Me sister and her husband paid off the mortgage this year. They're comfortable but not minted, both early to mid 40s.

Living in the sticks isn't an option for me. I wish I could, I'd save an absolute bundle, but I can't live down there at the moment and as it is I don't know if I'll bother living in Ireland long enough to look at buying a house/apartment.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:12 am 

Those prices are just mental! :shock: I remember paying 750Euro a month for a kip of a bedsit on the Howth road back in 08/09. Couldn't swing a cat in the place and, in true loser-movie style, there was a hole in the roof right above my head while lying in bed (although it did at least have its own toilet, thankfully). I thought that was a royal ripoff at the time but I imagine it's going for well over a grand now. :o

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:15 am 

Jesus Phish wrote:
DuckyDoodleFace wrote:

Living in the sticks isn't an option for me. I wish I could, I'd save an absolute bundle, but I can't live down there at the moment and as it is I don't know if I'll bother living in Ireland long enough to look at buying a house/apartment.

Same here. Job eventually dictated where I was living. Worked out how much I was paying for travel into the city plus rent, bills, food etc... when I lived out of Dublin and figured i would be paying about the same for an apartment in the city centre minus the 1 Hour 30 mins or so travel time to work. I'm now a 7 minute walk away from work. But I cant do this forever, renting is madness and I do want to settle down and buy my own place, but I've decided it probably wont be in Ireland. Probably NZ/Aus or Sweden/Norway.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:35 am 

I moved down nearly 3 years ago and would never go back. Honestly, it's a great city.

But what people are saying about renting is true, there's a real supply issue at the minute. If I lost my place I'd have to pay 50% more a month at least to get anywhere similar. You're unlikely to get the first place you visit. You'll need to show up with your deposit and first month's rent ready to go, references from your employer and probably a past landlord, and be ready strike when you see a place you want.

TBH though Rathgar and Harold's Cross are going to be expensive. Everyone wants to live there. The commute isn't great either. I walked 50 mins to/from work every day when living in Rathgar because the bus took about the same amount of time. Do your homework and look to the places other people aren't considering, parts of Crumlin, Drumcondra, Phibsboro, Stoneybatter. Just be careful.

Rent is expensive but if you're coming from the North you're probably going to at least double your earning potential and pay slightly less tax too.

Hit me up if I can be of help me[at]jhope.ie.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:44 am 

I work just off Stephens Green and rent in Swords.
Transport links are pretty decent and the commute takes about an hour in and out thanks to the port tunnel.

Rents are quite high, but cheaper than most places in Dublin.
Definately worth a look.

Page: 1, 2, 3  Next