Back
  Living and working in Dublin

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

High Above The Rolling Waves, In Labyrinths Of Coral Caves...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:35 pm 

I really appreciate the replies here, and thank you very much for the input and advice.

Unfortunately through the interview I learned that the job itself isn't really suitable for me, so I politely declined. Looks like I'm stuck in Magherafelt/Belfast for the foreseeable future.

Let's keep this thread going about general Dublin housing prices, and feel free to throw in a few horror stories!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:04 pm 

I left Dublin 10 years ago, when everybody seemed to have lost their fucking minds and it's depressing to see it all start to happen again. The trigger for me was seeing a mid-terrace two-up two-down in Crumlin priced at €450,000. Factor in the actual cost of the interest over the life of a mortgage and I chose not to commit to that kind of debt for the quality of life I could expect to have under those circumstances. I quit the job and started looking for work down south, in the midlands and also in the UK, ended up getting a job in Clonmel and I now live about 25km away in a proper rural setting. It wasn't something I'd have aspired to doing when I was younger, but I don't think I could ever go back to living in a city now. Once you're out of that environment for a while, it does change your perspective on what is important in life. The constant pressure and stress people in Dublin put themselves under - long commutes, bad traffic, big mortgages or rents, constant noise and light pollution, cunty neighbours, no space - versus the conveniences of living in the city, they just don't balance out for me. I appreciate it's not for everyone but I'd urge everyone anyway to at least be open to looking outside of cities. There are jobs and, although your pay probably won't compare to a city job, the cost of living is nowhere near as demanding too. When I see the circumstances some friends and family have committed themselves to, it's genuinely baffling to me. Dublin is a 90 minute drive away for gigs as required but sometimes it took that long to get into town on the bus when I lived in Dublin too :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:15 pm 

Hearing some of the horror stories would pretty much put me off living in Dublin. I have a mate who pays about a grand for a small room in a smallish apartment near ueston.

Me and the missus are renting a 3 bedroom apt in Galway City (near Taylor’s Hill) for 740 p/m between us. Very reasonable and pretty much down to having a sound landlord who’s just relieved to have good tenants who keep the place in decent nick.

Buying out in Athenry at the moment – pretty much costing me the same if not a little bit less.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:24 pm 

another one here, got sick of the crippling rents/cost of living in dub, didnt mind it in my 20's sharing gaffs and hanging around town all the time but getting to early 30s and more interested in staying in trying to save money, really doesnt matter where you are, so fucked off out of dublin and now its cheap rent, plenty of space, no neighbours. Would never go back (although i do appreciate dublin a lot more now that i dont live there). Last place i had was a large one bed apartment in a georgian gaff in rathgar for 800pm, recently heard its now going for twice that, fuck that.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:35 pm 

I've about eight years left on mortgage, and what pay back is a fraction on what people pay in monthly rent. Genuinely don't know how people cope with the cost of rent.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:10 pm 

I got pretty lucky and bought about four years ago in Dublin in a really nice area, at what ended up being the bottom of the market.

Although the missus is from Wexford, and each time we go down her friends keep pointing out we could buy there and by renting out the Dublin house it would pay off both mortgages. Have to say it makes loads of sense financially, but I don't know if I could be arsed with all the hassle of being a landlord

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:57 pm 

I could easily earn double+ what I'm on now if I moved to Dublin..but after tax/rent/utilities I'd probably not come out with much more than what I'm on now.....and there would be none of this carry on anymore either

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:19 pm 

Who in their right mind lives in dublin anymore at those prices. Its such a shit standard of living. I have a 3 bedroom semi detatched house in watrrford city at €730 a month between myself and the missus. Fucking half the price of a crumy bedsit in dublin.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:09 pm 

Oskorei wrote:
Who in their right mind lives in dublin anymore at those prices. Its such a shit standard of living. I have a 3 bedroom semi detatched house in watrrford city at €730 a month between myself and the missus. Fucking half the price of a crumy bedsit in dublin.

It's hardly that straightforward. I doubt many choose to live in cramped, substandard accommodation. Not everyone drives or has access to a car, therefore a lengthy commute is not an option. In my case, my job required me to work in Dublin, as a Cork man it certainly wasn't my preference!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:46 pm 

It's frightening to think were things are heading. When I was last home in April I was shocked to learn that the rent in Drogheda isn't much better then Dublin. I am sure the rest of the country will follow and this is also not just an Irish problem but is the case in many other first world countries. They have been saying for years that this property bubble is going to bust but it's getting worse by the day.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:20 pm 

I'll say this- we are pretty well catered for re clubs playing decent music. How does Belfast compare for a night out these days? I'm away 12 years and I totally fucking hate most of the city centre- full of mongs. Getting on the housing ladder down here is of course, total shite house.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:23 am 

Trying to find a new place in Tralee, rents for two bedroom places have increased roughly 200 p/m in the last 18 months. I would mind but its not like there is anything here but a bunch of knackers and shite pubs.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:08 am 

Rimm wrote:
I'll say this- we are pretty well catered for re clubs playing decent music. How does Belfast compare for a night out these days? I'm away 12 years and I totally fucking hate most of the city centre- full of mongs. Getting on the housing ladder down here is of course, total shite house.

It's practically impossible to find somewhere without a cunt playing loud guitar in the corner these days. "Entertainment" my hole.

footloose onstead heinous vermifugal newssheet
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:11 am 

I know folk live in Islandbridge paying €1200 for a furnished 2-bed apartment that would suit a couple or two individuals, been their years though and said the region average is €1400. I was paying similar in Paris two years ago. Just before the crash (2007-2008) four of us were paying €1200 for an unfurnished 4-bed detached bungalow in Harold's Cross. So yeah... seems indeed to have gone full retard in recent years!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:51 pm 

Its hard to see any sort of reasonable solution in the short term tho. Most of these properties will have mortgages outstanding so the landlord will need that figure plus a percentage ontop for maintanance and most will add a couple of percent for a profit margin. This formulae coupled with the increase in demnd is a perfect storm.

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next