Back
  horror books

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:58 pm 

i ordered a load of cheap richard laymon books on amazon the last day.
great craic altogether!
they remind me of old slasher 80s films.
id say if you were in your early teens and started reading his stuff it would be great fun.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:06 pm 

Glad you enjoyed! I thought of that after recommending them, as I got into him as a teen myself so wondered what someone would think now but they are gas craic, like a b or c grade Stephen King. Thing I love most is that the heroes are often as lecherous and devious as the villains in his books!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:17 am 

Reading The Devils Hoof By Jonathan Barry at the minute, it's flawed in a couple of respects but worth a punt, I think the author may have better in him yet.

If Ireland in the 1700's, satanic rituals, hellfire club etc sounds like your mix give it a go.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:01 pm 

Cryptic Stench wrote:
Reading The Devils Hoof By Jonathan Barry at the minute, it's flawed in a couple of respects but worth a punt, I think the author may have better in him yet.

If Ireland in the 1700's, satanic rituals, hellfire club etc sounds like your mix give it a go.

that actually sounds like a great mix that would be right up my street. must check this out.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:01 pm 

just finished re-reading the mayfair witches trilogy by anne rice.
the detail in them is unreal.
great mix of witchcraft, murder, incest and a whole host of other shit going on in them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:35 pm 

Never read those! Sounds like my next purchase!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:50 pm 

Cryptic Stench wrote:
Never read those! Sounds like my next purchase!

they are probably some of the best books she wrote.
quite lengthy but amazingly detailed.
have you ever read any of her vampire chronicles books?
memnoch the devil is like her own version of paradise lost.
excellent book.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:54 pm 

Michelle Paver: Dark Matter.

Drop whatever you're doing and get a hold of that. Great sense of creeping dread once it gets going, the best horror book I've read in decades. She generally writes YA books but she's got another (unrelated) horror novel called Thin Air, which is sitting on my shelf waiting, waiting...

I'd also recommend Justin Cronin's The Passage (first part of a trilogy, I have yet to read the others), especially if you're a Stephen King fan, The Stand in particular.

Recently read Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer, pretty good. Again, first part of a trilogy and there's a film adaptation just out or about to be released.

Last edited by Thing On The Doorstep on Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:04 pm 

Thing On The Doorstep wrote:
Michelle Paver: Dark Matter.

Drop whatever you're doing and get a hold of that. Great sense of creeping dread once it gets going, the best horror book I've read in decades. She generally writes YA books but she's got another (unrelated) horror novel called Thin Air, which is sitting on my shelf waiting, waiting...

I'd also recommend Justin Cronin's The Passage (first part of a trilogy, I have yet to read the others), especially if you're a Stephen King fan, The Stand in particular.

Recently read Annibilation by Jeff Vandermeer, pretty good. Again, first part of a trilogy and there's a film adaptation just out or about to be released.

will def check that dark matter one out.
never heard of her before so its good to find new horror authors.
i recently read a few by adam nevill.
decent books, one was made into a film recently called the ritual.
horror and black metal mixed into that one.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:09 pm 

More a fan of horror movies than horror books aside from the usual Lovecraft/Poe etc, but Dan Simmons' "Song of Kali" I'd absolutely recommend. Grim as fuck.

Sean O'Connor who used to play bass in Venus Sleeps is apparently a budding horror writer, has a book called "In Solitude" coming out shortly I think.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:14 pm 

pentagrimes wrote:
More a fan of horror movies than horror books aside from the usual Lovecraft/Poe etc, but Dan Simmons' "Song of Kali" I'd absolutely recommend. Grim as fuck.

Sean O'Connor who used to play bass in Venus Sleeps is apparently a budding horror writer, has a book called "In Solitude" coming out shortly I think.

read the synopsis of song of kali there.
sounds unreal!
i must pick it up.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:46 pm 

blessed1 wrote:
pentagrimes wrote:

read the synopsis of song of kali there.
sounds unreal!
i must pick it up.

Carrion Comfort by the same author is great as well. A very long book but one you'd fly through as it's so gripping.

Recently read Cows by Matthew Stokoe. It's the most fucked up book I've ever read. Not something I'd recommend unless you have a a strong stomach but a very good novel nonetheless.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:55 pm 

If anyone has a kindle one of my books is free week
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00I0CATPQ

Frank Bowen is a man who wishes to get through the days of his life as easily as possible, blocking out distractions from family, friends and work colleagues. Some would say he was on the road to a recluse. He would say he just wants a simple life.
However, things become far from simple when one day, due to an accident, Frank finds himself trapped in the dying town of Broken Fawn. A town of few people and even fewer clues, but more worryingly for Frank, are the masked figures, hunting him down at every corner.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:04 pm 

sadiemaeglutz wrote:

Recently read Cows by Matthew Stokoe. It's the most fucked up book I've ever read. Not something I'd recommend unless you have a a strong stomach but a very good novel nonetheless.

"Cows" is quite a read alright! I think parts of it actually made me gag

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:11 pm 

Just ordered Cows and Dark Matter - always great to get new book tips!

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next