Back
  horror books

Page: 1, 2  Next

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:36 pm 

i taught this deserved a thread of its own as im sick of trawling through the thread on books when im specifically looking for purely horror related stuff.
i m a massive fan of stephen king, richard chizmar, anne rice, james herbert, clive barker, adam nevill.
i love all the gory guys as well like edward lee, wrath james white, matt shaw, jack ketchum .

im looking for good recommendations for books that are more terrifying and creepy than disgusting or gory.
saying that if there is any good gory recommendations out there i wont say no to them either ha.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:04 pm 

City Infernal..best thing I've read in years..cant wait to read it again

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/216252.City_Infernal

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:51 pm 

If you like Hammer Horror and have a kindle there's always the novella `Prey for the Vampire`.

It is one of mine so you have the added bonus of telling what you think if you hate it. (I still get 35p though)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:16 pm 

DesTheKingOfTawny wrote:

the depictions of hell in that book are class.
he wrote two sequels to that book as well.
i havent read them but heard they are good.
have you read the bighead?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:17 pm 

kunt 4 life wrote:
If you like Hammer Horror and have a kindle there's always the novella `Prey for the Vampire`.

It is one of mine so you have the added bonus of telling what you think if you hate it. (I still get 35p though)

i dont have a kindle but is there any other way i can get it. id be interested in reading that.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:29 pm 

Since you're already a fan of Stephen King, might I suggest his son's work. Joe Hill has done some great stuff in both novel and graphic novel. Check out Locke And Key, NOS4R2, Horns, and The Fireman.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:52 pm 

Nail_Bombed wrote:
Since you're already a fan of Stephen King, might I suggest his son's work. Joe Hill has done some great stuff in both novel and graphic novel. Check out Locke And Key, NOS4R2, Horns, and The Fireman.

i read his first one heart shaped box and really liked it. must check out those ones. horns was actually made into a film which was quite decent.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:26 am 

blessed1 wrote:
DesTheKingOfTawny wrote:

the depictions of hell in that book are class.
he wrote two sequels to that book as well.
i havent read them but heard they are good.
have you read the bighead?

Ive read the sequels including lucifers lottery...the arent quite as good as city infernal but are still very readable..dont think Ive got to bighead yet..its on the list though!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:36 am 

Hp lovecraft is my favourite horror author, he has a wealth of fantastic work to choose from. My personal favourites are the haunter of the dark and shadow over innsmouth.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:53 pm 

I've always had a soft spot for Richard Laymon's stuff. Content wise the stories would be in the same ballpark as Stephen King (Though occasionally they can end up in Jack Ketchum territory in terms of Misogyny, torture etc), though not nearly as well written - damn entertaining though. Try Quake or In The Dark.

Speaking of Ketchum, I've always found him to be a bit of a hack. I enjoyed Offspring and one or two others, but stuff like The Girl Next door is stomach churning especially when it seems like much of it was copied and pasted from a real life case - lends no credibility to it whatsoever.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:07 pm 

i could never get into h.p lovecraft. always nearly fell asleep anytime i tried to read his stuff.
i like jack ketchums short stories and only ever read the girl next door which was grand.
i never read any richard laymon so ill definitely pick up something by him in the next few days. good to hear hes along the same lines as king.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:51 pm 

Funny you should say that you didn't like Lovecraft as he fits your initial request perfectly.

I'll admit, some of his more far out pieces are very tough to get into but stuff like Shadow Over Innsmouth is essential!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:42 pm 

In fairness I did find the likes of dream quest of unknown kadath and dream cycle stories a bit too ponderous and hard to keep up with, but anything in the cthulhu mythos or his more traditional stories are phenomenal.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:47 pm 

i must go back and re-read some of his stuff so. i remember reading the call of cthulhu and hating it but ill give them another shot.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:14 pm 

blessed1 wrote:
kunt 4 life wrote:

i dont have a kindle but is there any other way i can get it. id be interested in reading that.

Ill see what I can do..

Page: 1, 2  Next