Back
  Noveller & Magic Pockets - Bello Bar - Oct. 19

Page: 1, 2  Next

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:20 pm 

Dhalgren Sound welcomes Noveller to Dublin for her first ever show in Ireland with support from Dublin synth lord Magic Pockets

Bello Bar - Thursday October 19
Tickets €14 +bf from https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/noveller-with-support-from-magic-pockets-tickets-36982201761
https://noveller.bandcamp.com/

Noveller is the solo electric guitar project of Los Angles based composer and filmmaker Sarah Lipstate. Handling the guitar as her muse, Lipstate summons a sonic palette so rich as to challenge the listener to conceive of how it’s housed in a single instrument manipulated by a solitary performer.

In 2014, Lipstate announced her signing with Fire Records. Fire released Noveller's latest full-length 'A Pink Sunset For No One' in Febuary 2017 and her previous album 'Fantastic Planet' in January 2015 and also re-issued Noveller's critically acclaimed albums 'No Dreams' and 'Glacial Glow' in early 2016. She's previously released records on No Fun Productions, Important Records, Weird Forest, Taiga, and her own imprint Saffron Recordings.

Noveller has toured with Iggy Pop, St. Vincent, Radiolab, Xiu Xiu, the Jesus Lizard, U.S. Girls, & Aidan Baker. Lipstate has collaborated with several renowned musicians, including JG Thirlwell (Foetus, Manorexia), Carla Bozulich (Evangelista, The Geraldine Fibbers), David Wm. Sims (the Jesus Lizard, Scratch Acid), Lee Ranaldo (Sonic Youth).

She has previously performed as a member of Cold Cave, Parts & Labor, and One Umbrella. Lipstate has also participated in Rhys Chatham’s Guitar Army, Ben Frost’s “Music for 6 Guitars” Ensemble, and Glenn Branca’s 100 guitar ensemble.

Magic Pockets is a progressive/synth/drone project by Ruadhan O’Meara (of Dublin based Synth-Metal act No Spill Blood). He has been creating music under this moniker since 2012.
The debut LP ‘Volcano of The Bleeding Skies’ was released on Vinyl & Digital download by Penske Recordings in late 2016.

The album was recorded using an array of vintage synthesizers, drum machines, miscellaneous electronics and manipulated samples, all sent to 1 inch tape. Its 7 tracks feature swirling psychedelics, pulsing sequences, and stark minimalism all the while incorporating harmony and melodic leads. Drawing heavily from the sounds of bygone eras, it also sits aside the current wave of electronic re-invention.

Listen to 'Volcano of The Bleeding Skies' here;
https://magic-pockets.bandcamp.com/releases

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:47 am 

This looks like a load of self indulgent shite too . At least Ruadhan is on the bill.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:49 am 

Nerd wrote:
This looks like a load of self indulgent shite too . At least Ruadhan is on the bill.

Self indulgent? Like posting shitty comments about gigs you've no interest in, bad form dude.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:16 pm 

We discuss music here don't we ? To my mind Noveller is self indulgent "art noise" that's all too ubiquitous these days . Boring Wire magazine fodder. When i saw this gig announcement first ( a week or two ago wasn't it ?)I gave it a listen. The only release (of loads and loads and loads of releases , another hallmark of this kinda thing) i listened through from start to finish was A Pink Sunset for No One and it just sounds like the score of generic film v1.0 - which fits because the ARTIST is a filmmaker. Again , fucking boring.

I would go to this gig to see Magic Pockets however as i think there is a bit of an interesting dynamic there rather than background noise.

But fair play on putting the gig on , i'm sure it'll be well attended

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:44 pm 

Nerd wrote:
We discuss music here don't we ? To my mind Noveller is self indulgent "art noise" that's all too ubiquitous these days . Boring Wire magazine fodder. When i saw this gig announcement first ( a week or two ago wasn't it ?)I gave it a listen. The only release (of loads and loads and loads of releases , another hallmark of this kinda thing) i listened through from start to finish was A Pink Sunset for No One and it just sounds like the score of generic film v1.0 - which fits because the ARTIST is a filmmaker. Again , fucking boring.

I would go to this gig to see Magic Pockets however as i think there is a bit of an interesting dynamic there rather than background noise.

You are of course entitled to your opinion but your original comment came across as a bit ignorant, especially on top of your comment on the other thread. Tbh I was just a bit surprised at the offensive attitude just because a certain type of music is not to your taste.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:00 pm 

Dhalgren Sound wrote:
You are of course entitled to your opinion but your original comment came across as a bit ignorant, especially on top of your comment on the other thread. Tbh I was just a bit surprised at the offensive attitude just because a certain type of music is not to your taste.

My comments came across as ignorant ? So because i don't like something and state that i don't like it you assume i'm some sort of ignoramus that doesn't get it ?

It's not that this sort of music is not to my taste, it's that it insists upon itself to such a level that if you don't like it it must be due to ignorance right?

I'm sorry if you took offence to me saying fuck musos . If you are a muso i'm sure you are perfectly nice.

Anyway like i said , im sure the gig will be well attended !

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:51 pm 

Nerd wrote:
Dhalgren Sound wrote:

My comments came across as ignorant ? So because i don't like something and state that i don't like it you assume i'm some sort of ignoramus that doesn't get it ?

It's not that this sort of music is not to my taste, it's that it insists upon itself to such a level that if you don't like it it must be due to ignorance right?

I'm sorry if you took offence to me saying fuck musos . If you are a muso i'm sure you are perfectly nice.

I quite clearly said that your comment was ignorant not that you are. There is nothing to 'get' with the music, a person either likes it or they don't like it. I would never judge someone either way. Seems like you might based on your 'fuck musos' comment.

I posted about the two gigs on this site because I thought there might be a few people who would be interested in them and would take note. I also assumed there would be people who had no interest and that they would just ignore the threads so I guess I should be thanking you for making a slow day at work a bit more interesting.

Anyway if yo do go to the gig I hope you enjoy Magic Pockets and you never know Noveller live may change your mind.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:19 pm 

There's a serious difference in seeing someone live and merely listening on record and this is especially true within the 'noise' genre.
For years I absolutely hated 'noise' but then I actually decided to go to a gig by a band within the genre and can hand on heart say that I was blown away!
Nerd, you did seem to come across as a bit of a blert on both threads today with your comments as you clearly dismissed both headline bands in one foul swoop with scything remarks in each thread.
No need for that. A simple "not my cup of tea" or "not my thing" would've sufficed.
Dhalgren Sound, I wish you the best of luck with both gigs and unfortunately I can't make it myself to either gig as I think both bands are shite (only messing, I have 7am start at work on Fridays so Thursday nights are a no-go for me I'm afraid).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:20 pm 

justincredible wrote:
Dhalgren Sound, I wish you the best of luck with both gigs and unfortunately I can't make it myself to either gig as I think both bands are shite (only messing, I have 7am start at work on Fridays so Thursday nights are a no-go for me I'm afraid).

Cheers dude, I've a tasty one coming up in the new year that's on at the weekend. Something a bit heavier that won't stick out like a sore thumb on here!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:57 pm 

Dhalgren Sound wrote:
justincredible wrote:

Cheers dude, I've a tasty one coming up in the new year that's on at the weekend. Something a bit heavier that won't stick out like a sore thumb on here!

Can Nerd come too?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:33 pm 

justincredible wrote:
Can Nerd come too?

Of course everyone welcome

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:13 pm 

Dhalgren Sound wrote:
justincredible wrote:
Can Nerd come too?

Of course everyone welcome

You're just sooo super sound. xxx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:51 am 

justincredible wrote:
There's a serious difference in seeing someone live and merely listening on record and this is especially true within the 'noise' genre.

I had never realised that, thanks for the education.
In all seriousness though i am well versed in the genre and have done the improv-soundscape-delaypedal thing myself live.

justincredible wrote:
A simple "not my cup of tea" or "not my thing" would've sufficed

Ah come on! Where would the debate come from then ? I stated what i thought about the music, i was met with no debate . Just the two of you giving out to me for being a meany :evil: How about a bit of rebuttal on what i was saying rather than just telling me i'm ignorant ! We talk about music here don't we? Other than the OP there is one post in this thread about music and not about moaning.

justincredible wrote:
I have 7am start at work on Fridays so Thursday nights are a no-go for me I'm afraid

Poser, i get up at 6:30am.

Dhalgren Sound wrote:

It was right to advertise the gigs here, there would be interest all right. There was enough interest for me to weigh in and give my opinion at the least. Plenty of noise fans on this board (or at least there was , probably still some lurkers) and in recent years gigs which would have been exclusively METAL have opened up to noise and experimental artists which is fantastic.

Any hints as to what you have in store?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:35 am 

Bit lame to shit on a gig someone is running to be fair Niall. I'd say you'd be pissed off if someone came in on a thread for a gig you were playing or putting on and said some of the bands are shit. Very different than a thread somewhere asking what people think about a band. I don't see much said in the interest of debate in any of your posts. To be honest the tone reads as 'I don't like this band, fuck you, let's fight about it'. Not how you debate the artistic merit of anything really.

As far as calling it wank for being abstract music that sounds like other drifty abstract music, that's the aesthetic of the whole genre, there's some intentional relation to other stuff that is reverby and hasn't a massive amount of playing going on. And that's a genre far removed from 'noise' really. Everything that doesn't have definite rock music parameters and relies on using reverb and other effects to carry the sound isn't instantly noise. Any reading of a term as vague as 'noise' infers some kind of intent to make 'noise' and my understanding of Noveller, from a distance, is that their music is aimed more at ambient music or something.

I don't really get how you can think it's 'debate' to say that a style of playing sitting within the aesthetic of it's own style is derivative. That would be like saying any psych band with keyboards carrying the melody and lyrics about space are worthless for doing what bands within their style do.

But that's irrelevant really, compared to the fact that I know you're better than aggressively shitting on someone's effort to promote some independent music and then shouting about being debated when you're told you're acting like a fucker. You're an incredibly sound person, don't really know the logic behind calling blatant aggression a critique of an artist or whatever you're getting at here.

And in the interest of humoring debate for a minute; 'self indulgent' is a bullshit criticism. Pretty much every time someone makes any kind of art they're indulging themselves, no matter how you do it you're engaging in an impulse to make something that you as an individual want. Motorhead are self-indulgent, Fushitsusha are self-indulgent, Despise You are self-indulgent. That's why I love them all, they're full of self, I'm hearing someone be themselves and make something out of exploring their desires. Plenty of stuff I don't like is people indulging themselves in ways that does nothing for me but it's the semiotics of how they express themselves that I have issue with, not that they're expressing themselves. The idea of there being a ubiquitous sound is a bit trite too given that there's fuck all music in any kind of underground scene that doesn't fit fairly coherently into some well known sound. Even the music I love that sounds like little else sounds a bit like the other stuff that sounds like little else. But there's no way I'm going to start talking about authenticity.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:41 pm 

That's a bit more like it !

Firstly i certainly wasn't shitting on the gig and i'm sorry if that's what it seemed like. I did say it should be well attended and commented on MP being on the bill being of interest to me . I'm off work next week so this is my thursday night plan. (i thought i said fair play for putting on the gig too but it must have gotten lost in edits, but fair play for putting on the gig - its not easy)
With regards to people shitting on my band or gigs , yes it's annoying. It's par for the course but not something that ever gets easier. Not everyone is going to like your music/gigs and if you can't take the criticism you are never going to improve.In this case i was shitting on Noveller, not the gig . I'm sorry if that wasn't clear.

With regards to the tone- don't tone police. But seriously regarding the tone - if you read it as "I don't like this band, fuck you, let's fight about it" well...that's how you read it. What i said was i think it's self indulgent shite referring to the music, is that not a valid opinion? I wanted to get a conversation going because it was a slow day at work and was hoping someone would weigh in with a list of reasons that I was wrong. Didn't happen. Now we are whinging at each other for upsetting each other so it didn't work. UNTIL NOW !!!

You are right on the noise argument. Everything that isn't a rock song isn't noise. Its too wide a term and in this case i used it as an umbrella term instead of saying non-linear-ambient-soundtrack-echo-string-abcdefghij-core as Novellers music is too hard to classify simply as you would say Death Metal or Thrash or whatever. You are an academic Dec so you understand the intricacies, the vast majority of people aren't so umbrella terms like "noise" in the context suit the conversation. Keep in mind my initial post was 17 words long. Hardly enough space to eloquently list out the reasons i like or dislike the music and that was never my intention.

I never said the music was derivative. I said it was boring and self indulgent so i'm not going to answer the derivative argument.
With regards to my band being derivative - if that's your opinion i can't change it man , i can just keep deriving.

With respect to self indulgence - All art is self indulgent , no argument there. However in the context of something like a band there has to be consideration for the other musicians you are playing with . Music in a group context is typically (at least somewhat) democratic . Every musician has to work within the confines of the other musicians abilities, tastes, work schedule, mood and all the other variables that come with it . In a situation where a musician is a solo performer the same difficulties are not there. As a result the solo performer is unhindered by anyone elses needs or preferences (for better or worse). As a rule i personally don't like solo performers. I have this idea (prejudice?) that being a solo performer is easier because there are no rules other than your own. There is just you ,your instrument(s) and your sense that what you are doing is good enough to subject others to. That is where i find the self indulgence.
Now we can argue that if something is widely liked or receives good reviews etc you aren't subjecting anyone to it rather you are providing them with something they willingly embrace. Yeah that's grand like but not everyone loves everything.

So to clarify my initial point within the context decy has outlined, i find the methods by which Noveller expresses themselves musically to be boring. It's not noise. The person putting on the gig is doing a good thing.

Authenticity is a whole other thing and i'm not questioning Novellers authenticity at all. I believe her. I just find it dull.

Let's talk authenticity IRL though dec , it's a lovely can of worms that you can get a whole nights worth of chat about. Given your background i'd like to hear your inputs on it as i am no expert but have loads of opinion.

Page: 1, 2  Next