Back
  London - Shard or the Eye??

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:09 am 

We're going to London for a few nights late October before we head back to Oz.

Just wondering if anyone has been up the Shard to the viewing deck and/or been on the London Eye??

They're both pricey enough for us with the shite aussie dollar and I was thinking of doing one or the other... but which one??

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:19 pm 

Both are about £30, London in general is expensive unfortunately. I would go for the Shard personally although near the Eye you have all the iconic sights (views of Westminster, St.Paul's Cathedral for example) so good for photos.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:12 pm 

Yeah, was thinking something very similar actually. There's also the Skygarden (which is free) and looks cool too.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:17 pm 

London eye is better. Shard has great view too. Went for an overpriced chinky but the view was great

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:27 pm 

We did one of those Duck tours when we were in London once. It was a good laugh, its an old bus style thing that they used in the war that becomes a boat when they drive into the Thames.

London does rape the pocket unfortuanlty. Great for a couple of days but any more than 4 and I want to get out of there.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:38 pm 

I think you can go to the top of st pauls cathedral for a birds eye view? Not sure if you have to pay though....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:01 pm 

Haven't been up the Shard yet, but I expect it's alright but it's in a weird end of town to actually make the most of the view.

The London Eye I did a couple of times years ago and have never felt compelled to do it again in dozens of visits since. Queues for that thing always look absolutely mental.

I'd suggest doing the Emirates Airline (the cable car) instead. It's £2.50 or something each way. It's beautiful up there after dark.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:13 pm 

You can pay a few quid extra for the express ticket on The Eye and skip the vast majority of the queue.