Back
  Fighting Fantasy gamebooks

Page: 1, 2  Next

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:51 pm 

Any fans of these books here? Originally published on Puffin Books, and written by Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone (who went on to create Games Workshop). They were stories where you chose which decisions you made to move the story forward and fought enemies with dice. Very nerdy. I have been collecting some recently (or at least the ones I remember from childhood) and have enjoyed reading them again. 'House of Hell' and 'Deathtrap Dungeon' are great but there are many more. Think they have been reissued but they are not the same quality in terms of cover artwork.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:05 pm 

I remember having this boxset of them when I was a kid. Can't remember much about them other than getting frustrated at always dying in them but got quite excited when I remembered having them. Insane throwback, have just ordered the first couple on bookdepository for a few euro each.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:09 pm 

That box set there looks like the reissues..get the older 80s issues if you can on amazon, some of them are dirt cheap and the artwork is much better, don't like the reissues at all! I always seemed the make the 'wrong' decisions too, wasn't hard to cheat and just make a different decision instead!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:46 pm 

Yeah, I was a fan of these as a kid. Your mentioning 'Deathtrap Dungeon' reminded me of the cover art for the original book which I really liked:

https://fightingfantasyproject.files.wo ... _cover.png

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:52 pm 

Played these the whole time as a young lad. Warlock of Firetop Mountain and Trial of Champions were the best.

I think the covers definitely influenced my early blind buying of metal cds too, anything in HMV that looked like a cover of an FF book was worth a listen!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:43 pm 

love them. I still buy them off ebay, the original print runs with the awesome cover art and nicely musty pages

Last edited by skyr on Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:44 pm 

anything 80s retro style is my happy place.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:48 pm 

Padre Pio wrote:
Yeah, I was a fan of these as a kid. Your mentioning 'Deathtrap Dungeon' reminded me of the cover art for the original book which I really liked:

https://fightingfantasyproject.files.wo ... _cover.png

Well that brings back a flood of memories! Have to say I wasn't hugely into them but I had at least that book, on loan from a friend I think. Pretty sure it was missing a few pages too, which made it stressful to get through :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:48 am 

Got a whole bunch of them still on the shelves, they're def. from the 80s as they have the older covers, and they're fairly weathered. A couple of the Sorcery! books as well.
Remember this one was one of my faves.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:08 am 

I absolutely adored these growing up - tons of fun!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:21 am 

It was like you needed a sixth finger to stick in the pages.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:12 pm 

Used to have a load of these when I was a kid. As well as books from The Sorcery!, Way of the Tiger and Lone Wolf series. There was another one, Grailquest I think that were popular also. But not as well put together.

The FF books always had great artwork. The likes of John Blanche and John Sibbick who contributed would have had work used on album covers by Sabbat, Both thrower and Cloven hoof around the same time too.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:45 pm 

My cousin gave me a few of these when I was a young lad. Enjoyed them but never got to mad into them. The school library had a few which was a bit odd.

Quote:
It was like you needed a sixth finger to stick in the pages.

You could have used your other hand or what was the subject matter of the books you were reading. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:14 pm 

Prolonged Spumesence wrote:
The FF books always had great artwork. The likes of John Blanche and John Sibbick who contributed would have had work used on album covers by Sabbat, Both thrower and Cloven hoof around the same time too.

The aesthetic of the 90s Games Workshop output plus getting into metal had such a ridiculous impact on my formative years. Just seemed to go hand in hand seamlessly.

footloose ´╗┐onstead heinous vermifugal newssheet
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:44 am 

Yeah, I probably read the Codex Dark Angels six or seven times. With a metal background, the universe was so easy to fall into and get lost in!

Was at a book fair here Saturday and saw this:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/mbuxl8ubBuDhTvIq2
(dunno if that link will work externally, curious to know though!)

Page: 1, 2  Next