Back
  Good Historical Stuff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:33 am 

I'm sure plenty of people here are into history given it's themes show up more often in Metal than most other forms of music (I think) so if anyone has any good recommendations for a fellow nerd please drop them here.

Any good books, documentaries, podcasts or whatever. I've recently been flying through Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcasts and I'm wondering if there's any other such gems out there.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:03 am 

Im obsessed by history! What exactly are yoy into? Ww1, ww2, vietnam, iraq.. etc??

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:49 pm 

More into the pre-gunpowder side of things usually though I have been reading a few WW1/WW2 memoirs. Ernst Junger's Storm of Steel (WW1) and Guy Sajer's The Forgotten soldier (WW2) are both mental reads

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:27 pm 

Id recomend 'The forgotten 500'. Its a book written by gregory freeman about 'operation halyard', a mission to rescue 500 stranded soldiers stuck in occupied yugoslavia during ww2. Great read.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 pm 

Picked up Gallipoli by LA Carlyon thanks to Sabaton :D

That led me onto Antony Beevor's work. Fascinating but incredibly detailed which makes it fairly heavy going.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:47 pm 

Regarding documentaries, you cannot go far wrong with the PBS stuff (much of it is on Netflix). The Civil War, The War (WW2) and The West are excellent. This year’s PBS documentary series on Vietnam is comprehensive and probably my favourite bit of television of 2017. I’m trying to find some reliable documentaries re: reconstruction in the South but much of it I’ve found online is a bit naff.

Books: I recently finished Dee Brown’s “Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee” if you’re into Native American history. I really enjoyed it. Currently reading Foner’s “Reconstruction: America’s Unfinished Revolution”. The whole debate about the Confederacy and Confederate monuments kind of re-sparked my interest in the whole topic of Race in America. If you’re looking for something closer to home, Micheál Ó Siochrú’s “God’s Executioner: Oliver Cromwell and the Conquest of Ireland” is a good read.

Would anyone recommend any decent documentaries or books on Ancient Rome? Either comprehensive or more specific periods? I’m reading Robert Harris’s “Cicero” trilogy (Historical fiction) and I’m interested in more factual stuff on the period.

I’m lucky/unlucky enough to be teaching History is some small capacity through tutoring (LC and University) but there’s only so much LC Textbooks that I can take for my History fix!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:46 pm 

PatrickReborn wrote:
Would anyone recommend any decent documentaries or books on Ancient Rome? Either comprehensive or more specific periods? I’m reading Robert Harris’s “Cicero” trilogy (Historical fiction) and I’m interested in more factual stuff on the period.

I'd recommend The Punic Wars by Adrian Goldsworthy, that's a great read if you're not already very familar with that conflict, end to end stuff if I can use a football term

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:13 pm 

Mark O'Spicebag wrote:
More into the pre-gunpowder side of things usually though I have been reading a few WW1/WW2 memoirs. Ernst Junger's Storm of Steel (WW1) and Guy Sajer's The Forgotten soldier (WW2) are both mental reads

Couple of other good memoirs - Siegfried Knappe's Soldat - he was a major on Weidling's staff during the Battle of Berlin.
Hans von Luck's Panzer Commander - he was part of Rommel's Ghost Division during the invasion of France, later fought in Africa, Normandy, and the Eastern Front.
William Foley's Visions from a Foxhole - he was a rifleman in Patton's army trying to break through the Siegfried Line.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:47 pm 

For Roman stuff check out

Seutonius- The Twelve Caesars
Tactius- The Annals of Imperial Rome
Robert Graves- I Claudius( the BBC series is also well worth a look)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:55 pm 

Good stuff - cheers for that!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:26 pm 

Dan Carlin's 'Hardcore History' podcast is amazing. Very accessible and immersive, everything from the Assyrians to the Ostrogoths to Edward Burke, even musings on why Hitler which are good for thought to say the least.

Some on YouTube and the rest can be downloaded cheaply and easily.