Back
  2018 World Cup

Page: 1, 2, 3  Next

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:15 pm 

Seemingly there is a tournament happening in Russia over the next few weeks. I don't know. Not been much talk about it. It can't be too popular as we are not competing in it.

Anyway, thoughts as to winner/top scorer/surprises to occur?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:29 pm 

Hoping someone other than the usual crew lifts it.

Watched the game earlier, shocking stuff. Hoping Egypt etc offer Russia better competition.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:15 pm 

Saudi Arabia were always gonna be the whipping boys in the group but the scoreline flattered Russia for sure. And while they weren't very productive with the ball, at least they had the ball for a while and were able to string plenty of passes together. And these, glorified amateurs. And yet, the way Ireland have played for the most of the last couple of years I wouldn't be overly confident of getting a result off them.

The winners will be one of the obvious contenders. I wouldn't put much stock in any supposed dark horses. People talk about Belgium but there's been talk about them for fuckin ages. They don't have the pedigree and Martinez is a poor manager. Spain I think are on the decline and the manager situation can't but be disruptive.

I got France in the draw at work. Ordinarily I'd hate these fuckers to win. On paper, at least, they could easily get to the final but not really having deciphered their best 11 will work against them.

My money would be on Germany or Brazil, particularly the latter.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:19 pm 

You got a decent draw with France, I think they're serious contenders.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:23 pm 

Twould be a handy few bob but I've never forgiven France.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:32 pm 

Germany or Brazil won’t do it. France do indeed look lethal.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:38 pm 

Brazil for me, Tite has done an amazing job with them. Really got their defence sorted without blunting the attack

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:00 am 

prof. wedgie wrote:
Brazil for me, Tite has done an amazing job with them. Really got their defence sorted without blunting the attack

Probably get great odds with Spain after they sacking their coach - strange decision but I can see the argument for it too

North from here, running amok amongst the shadows of the past
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:41 pm 

Backed Spain myself and still think they have the best squad and are the most cohesive team there despite dropping points to Ronaldo last night. De Gea needs to buck up though, that was Karius like for that second goal.

Top scorer , I did Lukaku because of the group he's in with Belgium.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:57 pm 

Didn't think France looked great. Iceland did a great job on Messi.

I wouldn't even hazard a guess at golden boot contenders til I see each team once. Can't help thinking it'll be Neymar though. Ronaldo off to a flier and would be an obvious contender if Portugal manage to go any sort of distance.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:09 pm 

I can see Ronaldo getting the golden boot. The winner generally has five or six goals, he's halfway there already and still has Iran and Morocco to play against

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:24 pm 

Portugal wouldn't be a bad bet.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:49 am 

I agree Blizzard. Everyone raving about France who look disjointed and imbalanced while overlooking the European Champions who have proven themselves to be full of guile and able to eke out a result in the most difficult of circumstances. Added to that they have a goalscorer who looks like Vitor Belfort on the roids..what a player.

Was delighted to see Mexico win yesterday, unbelievable scenes and you can tell it means so much to them, they're a proud people and they went at Germany as if their lives depended on it.

Brazil a big letdown. Like Germany, arrogant and too relaxed. Spain are the best team I've seen so far. With the quality they have, I don't see anyone turning them over

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:49 pm 

Does anybody have a good link to stream the games so I can watch in work? I have managed to miss every game so fAR.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:23 pm 

stream2watch.org

Search by tv channel and bob's yer uncle

Page: 1, 2, 3  Next