Back
  Purchasing from Japan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:34 pm 

Certain cds/vinyl that I would like are available from Japanese sites only and I can't source them on ebay. I see that there are some companies that act like a middle man for purchases from Japan and you do your purchases through them..has anyone used any of these? They seem a fair bit pricey though to use...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:21 pm 

That can happen alot of Japanese sellers. Have you tried discogs?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:05 pm 

I've ordered a few cds before direct from Japanese sites, postage was a bit pricey but nothing outrageous, took weeks for the stuff to arrive though

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:21 am 

deeeznuuuts wrote:
That can happen alot of Japanese sellers. Have you tried discogs?

Yeah I use discogs a lot but some rarer items just don't come up on it..I don't know why some of these Japanese sellers isolate themselves so much from prospective international sales...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:22 am 

prof. wedgie wrote:
I've ordered a few cds before direct from Japanese sites, postage was a bit pricey but nothing outrageous, took weeks for the stuff to arrive though

Cheers! I hear arrival times can be long alright....I'll have a look into it in more detail...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:29 am 

I use shoppingmalljapan.com, it's a great proxy bidding service.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:44 am 

Dark Stranger wrote:
I use shoppingmalljapan.com, it's a great proxy bidding service.

Cheers will check that out later....does it use paypal?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:59 pm 

Nope sadly - it's a bit of a nuisance to get set up with them, you have to put in a deposit that gives you multiples of it as your bidding limit, but once you get past that it's great. Serious amounts of bargains on there, even with the double postage (First posted to him, then posted to you), but you can aggregate items and get them sent in one box.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:56 pm 

Seems ridiculous to have to use a middle man just to purchase items from Japan I doubt the Japanese have to do this when buying items from English speaking countries.

What type of music are you buying? I have bought a lot items from Japan and never even knew this middle man thing existed I just bought direct and never had any issues.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:06 pm 

mickO))) wrote:
Seems ridiculous to have to use a middle man just to purchase items from Japan I doubt the Japanese have to do this when buying items from English speaking countries.

What type of music are you buying? I have bought a lot items from Japan and never even knew this middle man thing existed I just bought direct and never had any issues.

some sellers just don't go through ebay or discogs..its mostly 80's metal or merchthat was released in japan only...certain OBI strips etc...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:11 pm 

DesTheKingOfTawny wrote:
mickO))) wrote:

some sellers just don't go through ebay or discogs..its mostly 80's metal or merchthat was released in japan only...certain OBI strips etc...

You are allowed to buy from elsewhere you know that?, in fact the 20+ purchases I have made from Japan for metal related items (albums, shirts etc...) have all been straight from the band or label and 2 or 3 from record shops...most Japanese sites as early 90s looking as they are tend to have a English version or at least a email address to contact them and ask.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:38 pm 

Skippy wrote:
You are allowed to buy from elsewhere you know that?, in fact the 20+ purchases I have made from Japan for metal related items (albums, shirts etc...) have all been straight from the band or label and 2 or 3 from record shops...most Japanese sites as early 90s looking as they are tend to have a English version or at least a email address to contact them and ask.

If you look up part my my reply was to deeeznuuuts who asked if I ever tried discogs for stuff...