Back
  Weaning - baby led or puree

Page: 1, 2  Next

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:04 pm 

Seriously... yes...

Did any of you guys go for baby led? And if so did it work out OK?

Hard to find a clear steer through this...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:46 pm 

I did baby led with my little one, found it great. Put the food in front of them and let them go at it. You get to eat at the same time, and relatively peacefully.

It can get a bit frightening when they start making choking noises but that's generally them getting the food up, it's very rare for them to actually choke doing it

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:41 am 

We used to prepare lots of veggies and puree them. Then we'd freeze them in these trays that were like larger ice cube trays, spud, sweet potato, beans/broccolli, pumpkin etc.
Every night we'd nuke a couple of these, put them in a bowl with some finely chopped up lamb cutlets, pork or beef etc etc and it went down a storm with the wee man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:39 am 

BLW. Took her all of 5 seconds to figure it out and now eats almost anything you put in front of her and plenty of it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:57 am 

Quote:
We used to prepare lots of veggies and puree them. Then we'd freeze them in these trays that were like larger ice cube trays, spud, sweet potato, beans/broccolli, pumpkin etc.
Every night we'd nuke a couple of these, put them in a bowl with some finely chopped up lamb cutlets, pork or beef etc etc and it went down a storm with the wee man

See this is my dilemma, books say if you're gonna do BLW you defo *dont* offer that delicious prepped puree at the same time. You gotta go full whack BLW or it doesnt work. Which I think is what we'l do - but it feels a bit wick!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:32 am 

They get all the nutrients they need from milk up until they're a year old, so don't build it up too much. The idea of BLW is put the food in front of them and they can take it, leave it or play with it as they fancy - don't try to stress about it or build it up.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:46 am 

I stress therefore I am.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:52 pm 

We ended up with a combo of both. You have to go with the flow and go what suits ye and the child best. Every hoor our there will tell you a better way and how there child eats and sleeps all night and walks the dog too.
No matter what happens it all passes
We are potty training our second. Poo.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:22 am 

We went for the run of the house method, what ever we are having the kids have, spoon for them and a mix off feed themselves and assistance.

Plenty of chewing helps speech development but you do have to watch for choking. Congrats on the family and welcome to fear like you have never known!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:57 pm 

Baby led with the two of the wee'uns and after initially being sceptical (it was my Wife's idea) I was amazed. Glad we did this rather than ramming all manner of additives down them and thereby introducing a host of gut problems down the line. Well, that's what the literature says! Definitely would recommend it as they are very good eaters and eat what we eat for the most part.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:32 pm 

Baby led all the way. Our little one is the least fussy eater and I put it down to home cooked food rather than processed feeds. Next up is potty training, not looking forward to it!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:58 pm 

Circlepit wrote:
We ended up with a combo of both. You have to go with the flow and go what suits ye and the child best. Every hoor our there will tell you a better way and how there child eats and sleeps all night and walks the dog too.
No matter what happens it all passes
We are potty training our second. Poo.

Pretty much this. Fuck the manuals. I remember I was very sick in the latter stages of my partner's pregnancy, she bought me a load of books on childbirth etc to read in the hospital to pass the time. I was constantly under the influence of strong painkillers and found it near impossible to concentrate on anything, so all this literature went unread to the great annoyance of my missus. It's only now with hindsight, and two kids later, that she will readily admit to winging the whole thing. So I suppose what I'm saying is it boils down to trial and error, just go for whatever suits yourself and the child. I was talking to a friend recently about how I worried my young lad (four years) was overly fixated on our iPad (we let him watch his cartoons at mealtime to keep him from wandering away from the table). He correctly pointed out that we, too, need to have a bit of spare time and anything that lessens the workload isn't necessarily a bad thing. I think there's a huge industry capitalising on the insecurities of parents.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:04 pm 

On the baby led bit, I'll echo what the others said about mine eating anything you put in front of her, but she still went through a phase of being a fussy little shit who'd refuse the same kinds of food she had a just a day or two before

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:07 pm 

prof. wedgie wrote:
On the baby led bit, I'll echo what the others said about mine eating anything you put in front of her, but she still went through a phase of being a fussy little shit who'd refuse the same kinds of food she had a just a day or two before

That fussy stage seems to pop up every so often. Food and meals that were once greeted with enthusiasm get refused outright now and then. I can understand it if it was the same shit day in day out but it’s not!!!!
We have 2; a boy and a girl and in general they are well behaved and well balanced but fuck me there are days when I want to run out of the house screaming.
I tell ya when I was a child it was a lot different. Refuse the dinner at your PERIL!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:51 pm 

We've gone to puree and are now going to baby-led. She seems happy enough and loves manipulating whatever food we put in front of her.

On the fussy eater thing, I find a mild dose of hunger to be the best remedy. Same for the 2.5 year old - if he's hungry, he'll eat it. Also, if I pretend it's a little man saying "don't eat me, don't eat me", he'll gobble it up.

I'm going to kick this off here:
Vulgar display of puree.

Page: 1, 2  Next