Back
  Cobra Kai

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:52 pm 

Has anyone here seen this? Opinions? I like this continuation of the Karate Kid timeline, it is funny but also works well as a study of the characters years and years later. I don’t know if a second series is planned but I would like to see some more characters reintroduced from the movies like Terry Silver and John Creese.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:52 pm 

I really liked it..very enjoyable series

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:58 pm 

I watched the ten episodes over the course of 2 days,and being a big fan of the original- I liked the sequels too- I absolutely loved the show. I was delighted with it.

Its brilliance to me at least, is that it manages to harness nostalgia and clear refrences from the storylines of the original movie as motives for Johnny Lawrence, Daniensan, and the new set of young cast members-who more than stand up and fight on their own. The first two episodes creates a whole new angle and point of view for us to see how Johnny has been doing,and you immediately root for him. Then,it layers on more development with the other charachters and if yer a fan of the first film especially,- it really is brilliant wanting to see how Danielsan- without Mr Myagi- is doing in the same city as his rival in modern times.

Its funny, very endearing, and genuinely made as a labour of love to fans of the movies. As well as that, its quite expansive - theres more going on than just the main players of the original- every body - especially the young cast here involved has a good story thats all linked together. It feels new,and nostalgic.

Brilliant soundtrack too- lots of 80s rock references. Defo worth seeing!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:18 pm 

It's an odd one because at first it seemed to be poking fun at the characters and while humour is a big part of it, it also takes the rivalry between Johnny and Daniel quite seriously, as well as all the background details into their lives. I also think it is interesting that Johnny never got over being beaten in the Karate tournament all those years ago but more interesting that he is the introduction to the new timeline and not Daniel. It is effortless in combining humour and reverence as well as bringing the story into a new age. I wasn't expecting much but, wow.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:03 pm 

Great soundtrack and karate. What's not to like. It's savage.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:27 pm 

leatherface wrote:
It's an odd one because at first it seemed to be poking fun at the characters and while humour is a big part of it, it also takes the rivalry between Johnny and Daniel quite seriously, as well as all the background details into their lives. I also think it is interesting that Johnny never got over being beaten in the Karate tournament all those years ago but more interesting that he is the introduction to the new timeline and not Daniel. It is effortless in combining humour and reverence as well as bringing the story into a new age. I wasn't expecting much but, wow.

When the trailers first appeared, I thought it was going a total comedic route, self satire in the modern era. And thats not what I wanted, and thats not what happened. The opening episodes do have more of a comic slant on things here and there,along with interestingly jumpin to Johnny's side of life as the main man. But it then brilliantly brings Danielsan into the proceedings, and before you know it, you cant decide who to root for!

Wonderful heartfelt scenes,too- in particular Danielsan visiting Mr Myagi's grave,leading him to return to his roots- using that triumphant theme from the original movie in that scene was a fantastic combo of nostalgia moving the current plot in motion.

The character development and arcs that everybody goes through-both new and old characters- is fantastic. Delighted its confirmed for a second series!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:44 pm 

Best show since the sopranos for me : )

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:46 pm 

Loved it, bring on season 2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:00 pm 

fucking love this, only the last episode to go tonight
love the characters and the music in it