Back
  Guitarists - What's your weapon of choice?

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 33  Next

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:35 pm 

What's the single best guitar in your opinion that you've ever owned?

I'm not looking a list thread, rather a discussion about the reasons why a certain guitar was your favorite. Maybe it's an old one that you had to part company with and still pine for, or the mainstay of your current arsenal - what's your favorite and why?

For me, it's a toss-up between my Epiphone Standard with upgraded pickups and a birdseye maple top and my Gibson LP. the of them have had the action set exactly to my liking and are top-notch pieces of kit. Fast, fluid action and unbelievable sounds What's yours and why?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:44 pm 

Bacchus Empire. It's the mutts nuts. While it is a dual humbuckered Floyd Rose style guitar, it has very firmly retained its strat heritage which I like a lot. The previous title holder was my old Iommi Eggle but after doing an A-B test while recording our first demo, the Bacchus just shaded it in tone too.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:06 pm 

My current Epiphone Les Paul with EMGS in it. There were only 500 made and I picked it up for €300. I love the neck on it. It's a nice and slim 60's neck and it sounds great. It blows any Les Paul Studio i've played out of the water.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:18 pm 

Battered 90s Gibson SG with Spurzel locking tuners and sanded neck. I've always been a fan of the low profile/light sg bodies and Gibson necks in general. The reason I like the low profile light body is mostly because I'm a bass player so when I play guitar I reckon I shouldn't have to deal with any weight at all...

Also the wider flat gibson style fretboards are easier for my bass playing hands to get around without fumbling too much.

This is also the best guitar I've owned although I may have had loans of better stuff, nothing really compares.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:50 pm 

toss up between my ibanez universe, because its lethal. period
and my christian olde wolbers jackson 7, its mahogony and its the lightest guitar ever?! go figure? it plays the absolute business, that and i got it for free as of yesterday

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:54 pm 

Byron wrote:
My current Epiphone Les Paul with EMGS in it. There were only 500 made and I picked it up for €300. I love the neck on it. It's a nice and slim 60's neck and it sounds great. It blows any Les Paul Studio i've played out of the water.

what type is it? thinking it might be the les paul "menace," am i near?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:12 pm 

Leather Mike wrote:
Byron wrote:

No. You're thinking of the Prophecy series. The Prophecyy is the one that succeeded my one, which is the Les Paul Midnight Special. Personally I prefer how my one looks over the Prophecy.

Here's a pic of the Prophecy.

And here's a pic of my one.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:32 pm 

It's my made in Japan ESP Horizon for me. Love the ebony fretboard, genuinely makes the guitar more fun to play.

has all my "must have" features in one guitar, namely:
- tune-o-matic bridge
- string through body
- mohogany thru neck and body
- ebony fretboard
- sperzel locking tuners

sexy as fook!

Only imperfection is that it has 2 x EMG81s which are grand, but not quite what my ear desires.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:54 pm 

Byron wrote:
Leather Mike wrote:
Byron wrote:

No. You're thinking of the Prophecy series. The Prophecyy is the one that succeeded my one, which is the Les Paul Midnight Special. Personally I prefer how my one looks over the Prophecy.

oh you jammy fucker!!! i'd near trade my gibbo for one of those! that said, the prophecy is a nice guitar too

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:01 pm 

Leather Mike wrote:
Byron wrote:
Leather Mike wrote:
Byron wrote:

oh you jammy fucker!!! i'd near trade my gibbo for one of those! that said, the prophecy is a nice guitar too

I know!! I remember when they were on thomann about 2 years ago and they were selling for €700 or more. The guy I bought it off just didn't want it anymore hence the low selling price. Score!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:15 pm 

Mine has to be my Ibanez JS1000 Joe Satirani signature in white, which I bought new when I lived in the US.

It is by far the best looking and most comfortable guitar I have ever seen and played...amazing stuff!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:27 pm 

I've owned a lot of Jackson guitars myself.

My favorite to play would have to be the KV 1, really fast neck. Super low action and love the feel of the Kahler fixed bridge.

One guitar that I sold that I wish I could get back would be a white Jackson KE 1 which I ebay'd.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:17 pm 

2 x Standard Gibson SG's, cherry and black

An Ibanez RG550, maple fret board, DiMarzio Breeds in the neck and bridge

What I want to get is a Les Paul Gold top and a Yamaha SG 2000 in black with faded binding

If I cant find both of those, editions from the 70's ill be happy :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:41 pm 

My ESP Viper is the only real high end guitar I've owned so it's a bit of an easy answer for me.
I was recently surprised by trying an Ibanez destroyer TT700 , so much that I bought it. Fretwork is so-so but it sounds real good, as Ibanez put di marzios deactivator Xs in it which go very well with the mahogany body, so no need to swap pups out of the box like in 95% of Ibanez.
Only real downside: it weighs a ton.

(the ESP is for sale, I need a floyd rose guitar in the end)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:07 pm 

i really don't know where people are coming from saying either of those epiphones are nicer than a les paul studio!

they're not even in the same ball park, playability wise or sound wise!

granted gibson have diminshed quality in their lower ranges but the les paul studios are still great guitars!

anyway, back on topic!
my gibson les paul standard faded is my favourite, even better than my 1976 les paul custom!

the burstbuckers are the nicest sweetest sounding pups i've ever heard and couple with the chambered body it has a lovely full, warm sounding range! i think the chambered body gives it lovely acoustics!

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 33  Next