Back
  Guitarists - What's your weapon of choice?

Page: Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:00 pm 

I play gypsy jazz as these days but i have 40 euro no name v if that counts?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6c_548xxg5I

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:25 am 

So my big lesson this weekend was that I can't actually play death metal on anything that isn't a Les Paul or at least Les Paul shaped.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:39 pm 

pentagrimes wrote:
So my big lesson this weekend was that I can't actually play death metal on anything that isn't a Les Paul or at least Les Paul shaped.

I'm with you one that one, though occasionally I'll use an SG. I've some serious GAS for another les paul lately. Missed a great chance on a 93 custom in tobacco burst.....raging is an understatement.....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:48 pm 

Its strange, I love LP style guitars, although I've never found a Gibson or Epiphone LP that I would actually own and play.

I used an LTD EC-1000 for must be nearly 7 or 8 years. The only guitar I would play live or at home. Since I started playing 7 strings though that limits me even further for an LP style guitar, although ESP do have a couple and so do a few other brands, as well as Gibson and Epiphone have one each I think.

I'd love to get back to the LP style but there are just so many great non LP guitars out there. Got a real lust for anything Tele style lately and can see myself moving away from Superstrat/Strat style guitars more and more.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:03 pm 

Epiphone's Matt Heafy sig is a fucking monster if you're after a 7-string les paul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:38 pm 

I'm aware of it Mike. Looks nice but nothing that hundreds of other guitars don't have so I'm not even considering one.

Got a Tele 7 on the way in August so I'm happy enough with that for now! :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:29 pm 

skadk666 wrote:
Its strange, I love LP style guitars, although I've never found a Gibson or Epiphone LP that I would actually own and play.

I used an LTD EC-1000 for must be nearly 7 or 8 years. The only guitar I would play live or at home. Since I started playing 7 strings though that limits me even further for an LP style guitar, although ESP do have a couple and so do a few other brands, as well as Gibson and Epiphone have one each I think.

I'd love to get back to the LP style but there are just so many great non LP guitars out there. Got a real lust for anything Tele style lately and can see myself moving away from Superstrat/Strat style guitars more and more.

I remember seeing you live a couple of times with the EC-1000, I have one too and they are great guitars. I've played it live for the past 4 years with WUW. With Coldwar I mainly use my LPC live or as I said, occasionally I'll use my SG. There is just something really comfy about those two shapes and they fit me really well when playing standing up or sitting. I love the look of Teles and PRS but I just dont think they would be as comfortable for me when playing live. I used to use my LTD JH-600 live a fair bit years ago but due to not using trems in the bands now I steer clear of using it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:34 pm 

Wouldn't mind a go of one of the LTD/ESP Les Pauls, but I'm more than happy with this battered ass Gibson 60 Les Paul tribute I have.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:11 pm 

pentagrimes wrote:
Wouldn't mind a go of one of the LTD/ESP Les Pauls, but I'm more than happy with this battered ass Gibson 60 Les Paul tribute I have.

The Ec-1000s are great guitars for the money. Though the prices of LTDs and ESPs have gone up recently due to some dealer pricing or something to that effect.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:05 pm 

My two Stef Carpenter LTDs and my Kemper is all I need.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:56 am 

I watched a video with Stef recently (seems like a lovely chap!) and he said that he started using EMGs because they looked good - the same reason I did, admittedly :)

And he also said the reason he has the two pickups side-by-side was because he saw an early video of Vivian Campbell and his pickups were like that. Which is pretty cool!

Steve.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:57 am 

Yeah, Viv's Nightswan sig was like that

It would do my head in, personally, can't stand a pickup in the middle, keep hitting the plec off it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:02 pm 

same as that, can't be dealing with a middle pickup at all

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:33 pm 

I thought he started using EMG's when he started using his 8 strings cause thats what ESP shipped to him? Plus he said SD wouldn't make him an 8 String JB/59 combo or something like that. Could have sworn I saw that in an interview once. :P

Either way I love his guitars and that particular 2 pickup setup doesnt bother me, I'd just never use the middle pickup like I don't use a neck pickup.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:17 pm 

I've lowered the middle pickup by about half an inch and i've never had any bother with my pick hitting it, and i'm a heavy picker.

Stef mentioned in a recent rig rundown that most of what he uses is based on the superficial and that it just looks good.

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/1 ... ergio-vega

He's using the Fishman Fluence pickups now.

Page: Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next