Back
  Guitar Gear Set-Ups

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:21 pm 

Well, there is a thread on separate types of pedals, but I thought that this would be a good thread to show and discuss your current guitar set ups from the guitar to the effects processors to the amps.

-----

Overall I use a Schecter 'Diamond Series' C-7 with a floyd rose system in use. I tune it to A, D, G, C, F, A, D and have kept the basic 'Duncan Designed' pick ups in place as they sound fairly animal.

For my amp, I use an ENGL Fireball 60w head and and ENGL standard 4x12 cab. It has a good, strong metallic tone but the clean channel could (admittedly) be better.

I also use a standard BOSS Amp Channel switch (FS-5L) however, I may try to program the guitar effects processor to do that instead. To control any extra feedback or noise from potential high gain, I use a BOSS NS-2. I have tried others but I didn't like the lack of control with them.

Processor wise has been a bit difficult given that I have a BOSS GT8 Guitar Effects Processor. This processor seems to stump the most advanced of musicians and technicians, and it literally has been a nightmare for years with trying to get some simple strong tones, distortions and effects. I currently have discovered a couple of decent tones for anyone who might be interested, although I haven't fully tried these on the ENGL yet.

My 'Basic Metal' setting is as follows:

Pre-amp/Speaker: Ch.A (Single)
Type: Metal Stack
Gain: 110
Bass: 30
Mid: 32
Treb: 42
Presence: 22
Level: 54

Compressor: On
Sustain: 45
Attack: 79
Tone: -50
Level: 50

Everything else on this setting is default. It sounds pretty heavy through my practice amp, and I control feedback through my BOSS NS-2.

I have experimented with what I call the 'Brutal' setting, as follows:

Type: R-FIER Mdn 2
Gain: 60
Bass: 60
Mid: 60
Treb: 60
Presence: 60

Noise Suppressor: On
Threshold: 68
Release: 10
Detect: Input

If it continues to feedback, I'll normally crank up the threshold on the BOSS NS-2.

I also have been toying around with a 'Djent' tone however I can't personally stand that type of music. It is as follows:

Type: R-FIER Mdn 2
Gain: 50
Bass: 30
Mid: 51
Treb: 26
Presence: 64
Level: 54

Compressor: On
Sustain: 45
Attack: 79
Tone: -50

Noise Suppressor: On
Threshold: 70
Release: 30
Detect: Input

-----

Well, now that I've got the ball rolling, show us your stuff!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:58 pm 

Good idea for a thread first of all!

My set-up is this:

LTD MH-1000 (with stock JB/59 pups) into Boss DD7 delay - Digitech Flanger - Bugera 6260 (the Peavey 5150 clone) - Marshall 1960 AV cab The clean channel isn't bad at all, which is important cos the stuff I play would be post-rock influenced to a significant degree, but the distortion channel is good and hefty too. Very simple amp, just the way I like it!!

I've come close once or twice to going all out and buying a load of FX pedals but just for practical reasons I decided against it. At practice it'd be all well and good but really didn't fancy the whole idea of being a fuckin tap dancer trying to do that kinda thing live, so as I say, I opted to keep things simple. That said I do like FX as a rule, and think they can add a lot of depth and atmosphere to the music.

Similarly, toyed with the idea of a guitar processor for a while. Ended up not going down that route either.

Bought a 2nd hand American 2 Channel Triple Recto for cheap last year. Cheap because, although it worked fine, the PCB board was damaged. As it's American if (like I imagine and fear happening) someone plugged it in not using the transformer the whole circuit would blow and that'd be that. The PCB board was about €80 so not too bad. However Mesa only ship to a distributor in Glasgow and repeatedly wires got crossed between my local guitar tech, the crowd in Scotland and Mesa. The wrong part arrived (belatedly) a coupla times and it's only recently after arriving. Then I'd to try get cash together to fully re-tube it so it'll only be fixed fully by my guitar fella in next week or so. Fuckin some saga. Anyway, looks as though it'll all be "rectified" soon :lol:

Then in new year hope to buy the 6 string, no trem version of this,

http://www.rondomusic.com/interceptorpr ... urple.html

to replace the Schecter Damien I recently sold.

Last edited by Emphyrio on Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:47 pm 

Utilising a Schecter C-1, Zoom G3X multieffects, and a Micro Terror.
Acquiring a new Engl head soonish hopefully.
For anything other than the hevy metulz the micro terror is great. Using the "Alien" amp sim on the pedal which is emulating an Engl Invader then for the heavier side of things.sounds very close if a biteen digital (removing the cab sim helps that though).
Tight.

Last edited by Chooch on Wed May 15, 2013 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:32 pm 

Guitar:
ESP Horizon HT – Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge and Jazz in the neck.

Pedalboard:
Zakk Wylde Wah – Boss TU-2 Tuner – [ Glab Midi 2 x Loop: Maxon OD 808 – Mesa V-Twin (Loop 1) / Wampler Triple Wreck (Loop 2)] – Boss NS2 – TC Electronic Nova System

Amp:
Mesa Boogie F50 – Channel 1 (Dirty Tones from the board) into a Palmer 1x12 with Eminence Maverick 1x12 speaker.

Haven't gigged with this rig yet. Getting some great sounds with it at home. The V-Twin does crunch/ rock rhythm/lead tones. The Triple Wreck covers high gain rhythm + lead tones and fuzz.

For the price the Nova system is second to none for delays & reverbs. Also handy for kicking in EQ for leads and covers the midi control for the GLab loop for the distortion pedals.

Board (in progress pic)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:01 pm 

Only a bedroom player so nothing overly complicated in my setup.

In a big Schecter buzz at the moment so using
C-1 Elite - E
Damian 6 in dropped D
Omen 7 Extreme - B
Jeff Loomis Sig V - open C

Few others lying around that haven't been played in a bit.
ESP LTD EX-350 - C
ESP Ninja 600 - C
Epi ZW Les Paul Buzzsaw -D
Epi ZW Les Paul Camo - E

normally just straight into a Line6 Toneport UX-1 so that I can play along with whatever I'm listening to.
Have a Marshall MG100DFX and a Digitech GNX4 in the other room if I need multiple patches or just a little more oomph.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:57 am 

good thread. my rig is very simple, I use a Marshall AVT150x that I chopped into a head through a Marshall 1960A. Pedal wise the only things I currently use (or have) are a standard Dunlop Wah, a Boss Tuner and a Line6 Uber-Metal (used only as a lead boost.) (Guitar -> Wah -> Boost -> Tuner -> Amp.) Intending to pick up a Tubescreamer shortly and maybe a chorus pedal to warm up clean tones a little.

Guitar wise it depends what tuning I'm going for and indeed what mood i'm in - my favourite guitar tends to change week to week, though at the minute I'm all about the Jacksons. At the minute I have:

1996 Jackson MIJ KVX10 (my favourite guitar) - Eb

1995 Jackson MIJ King V Professional - E

1994 Jackson JRR94 Concept - B (not B standard, the bottom 6 of a 7-
string, BEADGB)

2009 Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Custom - E

2005 (i think) Epiphone Custom Shop Les Paul "Midnight Special" - Drop C

2001 Epiphone Les Paul Classic Plus-Top - retrofitted with a Duncan 59/Dimebucker set - Eb.

All the guitars, bar the Epi Classic, are stock, apart form having the backs of their necks rubbed VERY lightly with micro-grain sandpaper, to buff the lacquer a little and give a matt finish for smoother play. I probably only remove a couple coats of the lacquer but it makes all the difference in terms of feel, I love a satin neck. I've been doing it since I got my LP Classic and I swear by it. I've also a chap lined up to make me sets of custom high-output humbuckers for my KVX10 and KV Pro. They'll be based on a Dimebucker with a few tweaks.

Thinking of getting a new head as its the weak link in my setup, although i love the Marshall. Am hunting for either a Bugera (ideally the TriRec Infinum) or a tasty Laney. Someday though, SOME DAY, i will own a Diamond Nitrox.

Then there'll be riffing alright.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:20 am 

Are bass players allowed post?

2000 Fender US Jazz Bass tuned C#

Korg Pitchblack
Homebrewed fuzz/overdrive
Dobksy Fuzz
Custom Phase 90 clone

Peavey Mace VT chopped into a head with both channels always on and also use the built in phaser.

Cab depends on the gig but practise is a custom 1x15 with an Emminence Omega Pro. Gonna build a 2x15 soon with a set of Celestion Truvox speakers.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:25 am 

ESP Horizon NT - EMG 81/81

Some super fancy strobe tuner pedal

Ibanez TS-9

ISP Decimator

Marshall JCM800 w/ 6550s in the power section.

Love it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:03 pm 

spoderman01 wrote:
Have a a Digitech GNX4 in the other room if I need multiple patches or just a little more oomph.

Getting rid of my GNX4 was the best thing I ever did for my tone!

At the moment I'm using:

ESP Viper with EMG 81/85

Crybaby Wah Pedal

Boss Tuner

Line 6 DL4

ENGL Powerball 100w into an ENGL 2x12 PRO cab

I desperately need a THD Hotplate or something similar.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:47 pm 

xspudx wrote:
spoderman01 wrote:
Have a a Digitech GNX4 in the other room if I need multiple patches or just a little more oomph.

Getting rid of my GNX4 was the best thing I ever did for my tone!

Tried the Boss GT6 before the GNX4 but just didn't like it. Had already owned the GNX3 so just ended up with the GNX4 after a while. Not very knowledgeable about these things and thought individual pedals would just confuse me :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:12 pm 

It was a handly yoke for quick recording on the 8-track and the metronome/drum machine features were usefull. Some of the effects were pretty cool but I hated the distortion tones off of it, very flat sounding or maybe I just couldn't use it properly! The only other multi-effects pedal I've used that's worth mentioning is the BOSS ME-50, which I think blows the GNX4 out of the water in terms of sound.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:53 pm 

throw yer boss multi-effects in the bin and get a Korg Toneworks. Sooooooooooooper tasty

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:08 pm 

I cut back on alot of gear lately as I left the band and moved to an apartment so having loads of Guitars and a half stack just wasn't feasible.

Currently down to 2 guitars, an ESP LTD EC-1000 and an Ibanez RG7621.

EC-1000 has an EMG81/60 combo in it, tuned to Drop A.

RG7621 has a Bareknuckle Aftermath 7 in the bridge and Dimarzio Blaze 7 in the neck and tuned to Drop G.

I have a Boss NS-2, TU-2 and a Digitech Bad Monkey but no amp to actually use them with as of yet. Will be getting a decent home set up sorted over the coming months.

If I do want to play guitar though I just play through my PC using an M-Audio Fast Track into Reaper and I usually mess around with different plugins depending on what sound I'm after.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:55 pm 

Current rig is sitting in my kitchen. But runs as follows:

Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Custom tuned down to F# for 7.5 Tonnes Of Beard.

ESP Ltd Snakebyte tuned to D standard, love/hate relationship with this one.

Fender Classic Player 50s Stratocaster tuned to E standard.

Pedals are Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, MXR Custom Badass Overdrive, MXR Carbon Copy delay and a TC Electronic Flashback delay. The flashback has to be one of the most versatile delay pedals I've ever used.

This runs to a Mesa Dual Rectifier with EL34s into a Mesa Traditional 4x12 and a Mesa 2x12.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:32 am 

xspudx wrote:
It was a handly yoke for quick recording on the 8-track and the metronome/drum machine features were usefull. Some of the effects were pretty cool but I hated the distortion tones off of it, very flat sounding or maybe I just couldn't use it properly! The only other multi-effects pedal I've used that's worth mentioning is the BOSS ME-50, which I think blows the GNX4 out of the water in terms of sound.

When my current setup has me playing through PC speakers, you can tell that my search for the perfect sound ended a while back :wink:

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next