Back
  Guitar Gear Set-Ups

Page: Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:27 pm 

I'd be inclined to agree that less is more. The FX I use are mainly on the clean channel. I don't have any need to fuck around with the distortion on my Triple Recto. I use a bit of delay/reverb possibly but I prefer having one consistent distortion sound. Obviously other people playing different stuff might have cause to alter the distortion but personally it wouldn't be for me.

I'd love to have an Axe FX but there's no point as I'd use so little of it. Unless I win the lotto anyway.

Tis all different strokes etc. at the end of the day.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:32 pm 

i am fond of micro-managing my tone as it were, i'm an inveterate tinkerer. maybe i should explain further though - my tone is based on line 6's Treadplate, i.e Triple Recto, model. The basis of my tone is the model's inherent tone - although i have a modelled TS in my chain, it's only used to tighten the bottom end a little and psuh the amp over the edge.

i do use a few sounds when playing, i have my main tone, a tone i use for dual-guitar parts (main tone with a wee bit of chorus and reverb to warm it up) a solo tone (slightly compressed, boosted version of the above) and then a clean tone.

I know that my main, harmony and soloing tones are all built on the same basic tone, but they all sound quite different and switching between them goes on quite a lot.

saying that line 6 stuff doesnt compare to valve, i can't agree with at all however. My current tone has taken quite a few valve amps to the cleaners, despite several people's insistence that i "have to" get a valve amp. It worked alright for Meshuggah too. The curent tone has seen off Orange, Blackstar, Bugera and Marshall heads in our studio.

while it is true that most tone is in the hands, i dont see the point in spending boutique amp money to use one tone. again, this is personal preference, if it works for you dont let anyone tell you different!

have never owned a Mesa but have used one extensively, having once borowed one with a few to buying. It was unbelievably noisy even when gated to the hilt and much too loud. As regards Diezel, they sound soul-less to me and the gain they use is way, way overboard. I'd use pedals to tame a Diezel, rather than enhance it

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:35 pm 

the TLDR version of that mountain of shite i just posted is -

i think my gear is the tits, because it's mine :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:10 pm 

I'd be of the mind that if you spend 2k on an amp and that isn't the sound you're looking for, you've bought the wrong amp. The only thing I had in front of the Fryette was a flanger, tubescreamer and wah, the tubescreamer was just for a little extra oomph for solos, but the primary tone (ie 95% of the time without the effects) was the amp. One gig we did where the power was shitty and I couldn't get the pedals on without noise, I just went straight into the amp, added a little gain and used the volume on the guitar to go between regular ryhthm crunch and dirtier lead tones, would have been quite happy doing that all the time if I was a better lead player and wasn't using the effects to mask my shitness :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:00 pm 

It's a deliverance you've got ain't it? Nice??
Silly story about the Madison's we use. As I've already said, I don't do any tone changing. I use the Madison on it's lead channel which is super heavy sounding. Aaron who obviously needs boost for solos has tried absolutely every pedal going from eq boosts to micro amps to tube screamers to every boss pedal going. Nothing boosts these things!!! I'm laughing cause it sounds like the old ampeg vh120 made out with dimes randall rh100(?) and out came a Madison. It just does roaaaaarrr. It's solid state. And packs a punch. But gettin it to cut nice for solos, not so much. Reckon I might get an engl 60w fireball at a later date for gigging.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:05 pm 

connorputrefy wrote:
I don't put bkp in my universes. I have them in everything else. Because if I've spent £2k on an amp, I've bought it for it's tonal qualities not to mask them with a £50-£200 pedal. £2000 of engineering and you want to put some fuckin shit overdrive in front?

Matamps don't cost 2K and he doesn't "put some fuckin shit overdrive in front" but cheers for the insult now go fuck yourself. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:11 pm 

I plug straight into my Randall and it sounds grand. I've tried a few pedals etc.. but never sounded as good. Each to their own.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:23 am 

Last time I saw fuckhammer your guitar tone was fucking amazing, so it seems I stand corrected. What Randall is it you use?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:27 am 

It does indeed!! It's the most crystal clear rusty chainsaw sound I heard in ages!! Mike be sure to ask Ross how he got his killer tone!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:50 am 

Plugging straight in is all well and good if it works for you, but that doesn’t mean that using gear in front of (or in my case instead of) an amp is wrong or a sign of not having “matured as a player.” I reckon the boul’ Thordendal is fairly mature as a player alright and the Pod setup works for him.

The other main thing for me regarding the X3 is reliability and ease of use. I can take my board to any gig, anywhere, and get my tone first time, every time. I don’t have to haul gear everywhere (although I often do) and I’m not at the mercy of available backline/mic quality/mic positioning/hoping that no-one has fucked with my amp settings. I know what I’m gonna get and the only adjustments I ever have to make are volume level.

Gear set-ups, like guitar and pickup choice, are personal preference. We all rightly believe that we’ve got it right because we know best, but that doesn’t mean anyone or everyone else is doing it wrong. Two cases in point that come to mind are Ross who plugs straight in to his Randall and sounds amazing, and Andy Baxter, who runs a pedal-board about the size of a desk into the front of a Dual Rec and also sounds amazing. Two very different guitar tones achieved in very different ways, but both stunning.

One thing that isn’t up for debate though is the reckoning that digital gear “doesn’t compare to valve.” Cuz that’s flat-out not true.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:51 am 

Conor - my reply was long winded because you asked me a question and I answered it as thoroughly as possible.

I play metal, but I also play a lot of other stuff that isn't metal and is all clean tones, so my gear choices aren't based solely around distortion, they're about clarity and power and for me those Matamps do that in spades. I've always used pedals for dirt and run amps clean regardless of what make or model of amp I've used. Hopefully that clears it up for ya in a simpler and more civil fashion.

Incidentally, I can assure you, Moose's pedals aren't "some shit overdrive", I wouldn't be using them if they were.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:29 am 

"I used to use pedals and as I matured as a player I discovered that
A) hi gain pedals sound fuck all like their amp counterparts
B) too many pedals turn a signal to absolute tonal mush, it also kills your signal chain, the more you add, the weaker it gets.
C) line 6 stuff is cool, however, it doesn't compare to valve, and amongst the 1000s of settings, how many do you use? I used 1.
D) forget about pedals, worry about playing, like I say, less is more. Most of the tone is in your hands
You mention you don't like diezels and Mesas straight out of the box. You owned any of the above?? Mesas need to be cranked to fuck to get a tone and diezels have got one of the most responsive eq on board with a rip the piss amount of gain on board, which I put to about 12 o clock.

That's why I'd never buy an axe fx, I'd use one sound. I'm not a versitile player and I don't profess to be.
But folk telling me this pedal is class and that pedal is class is bollocks."
---------------

That does come across as a pretty blinkered point of view Connor, it's like saying that apples are better then oranges and anyone that disagrees doesn't know how to eat fruit or isn't experienced enough to know which fruit is the nicest.
A) There are pedals being designed to push certain desirable characteristics of some amps beyond the limits of said amp, and others which are designed to have their own sound, not all distortion pedals are based on actual amp counterparts.
I'm not gonna even start on Fuzz.
B) "too many pedals turn a signal to absolute tonal mush, kills your signal chain, the more you add, the weaker it gets" - only if you don't know how too set them up correctly, for instance if you run 5/6 dirt boxes stick them in a looper so there is only one in the signal chain at any time. Your signal getting weaker would only ever be an issue if you were looking for a pristine clean based tone, which I presume none of of are in this context. Stick a truck full of gain and volume in there and it doesn't matter a fuck.
C) Fruit.
D) I could run around in circles here but if your the type of player that love's apples and reckons he's found the best tasting apple out there and is gonna eat that apple every day then great, I love to hear players talk about their tone and get exactly what and where they want - but recognise that others like to eat a varied diet. Personally, if I had to eat just apples all the time I think I'd give up eating fruit altogether.

In the context of amps, I've found that the most important thing is a great and strong clean tone, if it has that it can do anything and anything can be done with it. Doesn't work the other way around in my experience. But I'd never tell somebody whom believes that unless you have a purpose built high gain amp you'll never get a full on proper gain tone that they are wrong, because there is no right.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:13 am 

Current fruit bowl :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:34 pm 

im willing to bet that sounds absolutely fucking demented. lovely.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:41 pm 

Tone is what you make of it. It's subjective.

Zakk Wylde is an renowned guitarist and lots of people love his sound, but to me, his guitar tone is terrible. I've always tried to find the sound in my head (the tone quest).

Nothing i've ever used comes close to that sound in my head than my Dual Rectifier with a clean boost in front of it. Plug in and play is a great ethos, but so is plug in to a dirt box, fuzz, EQ and make that sound your own.

I use a Maxon overdrive im front of my Mesa (and it's silent, Mike :P ). It just gives it that extra bite and clarity that i can't do without. Does that make my £2000 amp redundant? Not at all. But it helps it work for me, and i've never had anyone say anything negative about my sound.

Now. Line 6. I make it no secret that when i was in Stand-Up Guy we used POD HDs on all our recordings. In the studio they are consistent and extremely effective. But live, nothing holds a candle to a valve amp pushing air through a 4x12 cab. You can feel it in your bones. My opinion, of course.

Page: Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next