Back
  Guitar Gear Set-Ups

Page: Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:33 pm 

spoderman01 wrote:

Something to aim towards! :lol: serious set up.
Emphyrio wrote:
Here's the board in latest configuration.

How do you find the afterneath? Was considering one down the line, loved the demo vids of them.

Here's the micro board I built for the Siege:

It's all I needed for the songs live, stripped right down to these and cut the panel of wood underneath to fit. Braced it with short cuts of (what seems to be) aluminium, stuck some rubber feet on it to lift it a bit. Left the gain on on the laney head so I didn't need the footswitch for it, went in front of amp so no fx loop needed. Fits in a backpack.

Going to build another one and put the other pedals on it so I can chain them in for practice/writing. Have a TC compressor and Artec EQ for the start of chain and then EHX Canyon and Valeton Reverb for after the DD7 and in the fx loop.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:10 pm 

Ya, I like the Afterneath. I picked it up second hand for a really good price. I only use it on fairly normal settings so far, so not really getting the most out of it, possibly. Easy to get mental soundscapes from it, which I'll probably explore more, once we get into writing mode again.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:58 am 

There's some really deadly settings on it from what I've seen, right now I only need the basics too so the Valeton does the trick but either the Afterneath or a Digitech Polara are on my mind for the future. Unless Moose builds reverbs too...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:27 am 

Some of those pedal boards are absolutely glorious lads, fair play. I’ve went full digital with the setup, Running an AxeFX into a 400w Palmer poweramp and a Mesa 2x12.

Backup rig is a board consisting of a couple of AMT Preamp pedals, a line selector, carbon copy bright, spark, tuner and Decimator. I haven’t the need (or knowledge!) to run anything more complex :lol:

Favouring the LiveWire over any other pickup atm, given that it’s an active JB I’m amazed it took me so long to settle on it!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:58 am 

How do you find the AxeFX, Mike? I was looking at getting something new for recording and have been veering towards something like the Line6 Helix Native. The AxeFX niggles at me, though. How are the basic amp sounds on it compared to the Line6 stuff you used to use?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:57 am 

In all honesty mate, i'll never look back. Having used the Helix and the Axe, the AxeFX is unquestionably the best out of the two. (obviously I'm talking about the live equipment rather than the plug-ins, I can't speak for it).

Basically, my take on it is thus - the actual amp sounds on the Helix aren't 100%, but the effects and ease of use are the best of the "big three." The AxeFX has unbelievable amps modelling - (the amp I'm modelling sounds superior to the "real" amp it is aping, which I have A/B'd it with) but is a definitely not plug-in-and-play, you WILL need to spend some time getting to know it and what to do with it as the endless customisability means it can be fiddly.

Compared to the gear I used to use, which was admittedly old, it's comparing a Model T ford to a Lamborghini. Having been using the Axe (through a range of various poweramps and speakers) for about a year now, I will literally never change from it.

You can get one of the original AxeFX's forabout 600-700 now, and in all seriousness it's worth every penny of that and then some. Can't recommend it enough.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:00 am 

Nice one, sound.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:41 pm 

Some serious pedal setups going on here.

This my setup for my current project.

Yamaha sf500 with stock pickups
Tuner>US Proco Rat>Russian Big Muff>Red Witch Phaser>Mxr Carbon Copy>>
Borrowed Jcm 900 mkIII.

I run it with the gain sensitivity all the way down, pre amp gain about noon and use the pedals to boost it into varying degrees of meltdown.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:54 pm 

ochoill wrote:
There's some really deadly settings on it from what I've seen, right now I only need the basics too so the Valeton does the trick but either the Afterneath or a Digitech Polara are on my mind for the future. Unless Moose builds reverbs too...

I build a fairly straight up spring reverb but nothing too fancy. Sounds amazing if that's what you're after. Was it you asking about bass overdrives on here? Can't find the post now.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:51 pm 

moose wrote:
I build a fairly straight up spring reverb but nothing too fancy. Sounds amazing if that's what you're after. Was it you asking about bass overdrives on here? Can't find the post now.

It was, in the new gear thread. About to go through a few bits with the bassist and start pointing him in the direction of some essentials this weekend. Any good recs? Looking for a decent sharp rattle to to the drive without losing the clean low thump tonally, so was looking for a drive with a clean blend I think. Using a fender 100w rumble combo at the moment and the sound of it is very good with just a boss compressor on the clean channel with the eq'd dialled right, if a little plain. The dirt channel is alright but he would be better set up with the right pedal into it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:01 pm 

ochoill wrote:
moose wrote:

It was, in the new gear thread. About to go through a few bits with the bassist and start pointing him in the direction of some essentials this weekend. Any good recs? Looking for a decent sharp rattle to to the drive without losing the clean low thump tonally, so was looking for a drive with a clean blend I think. Using a fender 100w rumble combo at the moment and the sound of it is very good with just a boss compressor on the clean channel with the eq'd dialled right, if a little plain. The dirt channel is alright but he would be better set up with the right pedal into it.

Try the Battlehammer on bass, sounds great especially with gain set below 12 o'clock. I do them with low passed clean blend too.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:46 am 

moose wrote:
ochoill wrote:
moose wrote:

Try the Battlehammer on bass, sounds great especially with gain set below 12 o'clock. I do them with low passed clean blend too.

Cheers, will do - should be able to have a toy around with it this evening. He used it before briefly and enjoyed it but he didn't get to actually play a run through of the songs with it. It never leaves my board unless I'm tidying cables :lol: but I'll set him up with it tonight for a proper jam and if he enjoys it i'll get him on to you.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:58 am 

I let him use the battlehammer for the whole evening on Friday and he seems fairly sold on it. He has to keep the gain well down on it to get the sort of sound he's after - mostly because we've two guitars on the go so a cleaner bass gives a bit of separation in the sound - but it adds a lovely sharpness to the tone without sacrificing any of the punch of the low end. Will leave him with it for next session too to see, he could be on to you next month yet :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:32 am 

Took a bit of time yesterday to get everything lined up and finally fastened the pedals to the new board with the plates. Was short a few so the H9's and Dirty Robot aren't stuck yet but the rest are and seem very solid. Gonna make the cabling side of things a bit easier when you can flip it on the side without worrying about them all sliding off.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:12 pm 

ochoill wrote:
I let him use the battlehammer for the whole evening on Friday and he seems fairly sold on it. He has to keep the gain well down on it to get the sort of sound he's after - mostly because we've two guitars on the go so a cleaner bass gives a bit of separation in the sound - but it adds a lovely sharpness to the tone without sacrificing any of the punch of the low end. Will leave him with it for next session too to see, he could be on to you next month yet :lol:

Yeah that's how I like them.

Page: Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next