Back
  Basic i.e. cheap/foolproof home recording studio set-up

Page: Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:50 am 

Emphyrio wrote:
On my home recordings I've been using Guitar rig, which is grand but lately I've been thinking of replacing those guitars with an actual amp. How do I go about this without needing to mic up a cab and blast my neighbours out of it?

There's a speaker off option on the Metal Master. Could do that and hook the line out straight to an interface. Apparently the line-out has a speaker simulation anyway so you don't necessarily need a separate cab sim.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:16 am 

roast wrote:
Emphyrio wrote:
On my home recordings I've been using Guitar rig, which is grand but lately I've been thinking of replacing those guitars with an actual amp. How do I go about this without needing to mic up a cab and blast my neighbours out of it?

There's a speaker off option on the Metal Master. Could do that and hook the line out straight to an interface. Apparently the line-out has a speaker simulation anyway so you don't necessarily need a separate cab sim.

Aye, Initially I was looking at amps that had that feature I just spent a bit more time with Guitar Rig. I realised for demo purposes there's no real need to be overly fussy. Once the gist of it comes across. The main problem lies with my mixing abilities haha

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:54 pm 

So for just recording guitar, is it the Focusrite (solo or 2i2) that folks would recommend? Was swayed by a vid that showed it comes with a load of sample drum tracks and the software seemed manageable enough.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:13 pm 

spoderman01 wrote:
So for just recording guitar, is it the Focusrite (solo or 2i2) that folks would recommend? Was swayed by a vid that showed it comes with a load of sample drum tracks and the software seemed manageable enough.

That's a good start if you don't have an interface, I'd get the 2i2 though, you could record a clean DI and a mic'd cab at the same time that way if you feel so inclined. I have an 18i8 and haven't a single complaint about it, very versatile.

Mind if I get a link to the video off you? I've never actually used any of the provided software, since I was already running Reaper, FL studio and DkfH. Wondering what sort of stuff you get but I'm too lazy to install any of it :lol:.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:17 pm 

ochoill wrote:
That's a good start if you don't have an interface, I'd get the 2i2 though, you could record a clean DI and a mic'd cab at the same time that way if you feel so inclined. I have an 18i8 and haven't a single complaint about it, very versatile.

Mind if I get a link to the video off you? I've never actually used any of the provided software, since I was already running Reaper, FL studio and DkfH. Wondering what sort of stuff you get but I'm too lazy to install any of it :lol:.

Nothing too complicated in it but here ya go. He's using Logic Pro X

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bku2sGeNVLU

The H&K GM Deluxe 40 I'm using has the Red Box DI built in anyway so if I've understood this stuff correctly, I should be able to go straight from the head into the Focusrite. Which could be handy as I think I'd sooner get most of my effects from the board rather than adding in during post though obv the option is useful.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:02 pm 

Ya, it'd be a waste not actually putting the pedals to use. I prefer my pedals as well but just for demo type stuff I'm happy enough with Guitar Rig.

I use EZ Drummer too. Probably not too many rhythms missing but because of the absolute wealth of em, it can be very time consuming if you're fussy about finding exactly what's in your head. A lot of the time I go with something that does the job. I'd nearly prefer to program my own stuff though, to be honest.

I'd say one interface is much the same as the next. I reckon they're all fairly user friendly, the major differences being any software that may come with them. That being said, usually you only get "lite" versions so you'd probably be better off using Reaper.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:35 pm 

Just picked up a copy if this last week a good deal at half price I think offer still on

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... te/guitar/

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:23 am 

Picked up the 2i2 anyway but being the genius that I am, I forgot to get an XLR cable and a 1/4 inch adapter for my headphones.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:31 am 

Got a chance to fiddle with this last night. Christ, there's a lot to the software side of things. ProTools seems almost overwhelming. Ableton seems somewhat easier to get your head around but getting some awful latency when using that so impossible to line up a guitar track with a drum track. Found some links/vids about it so hopefully one of them will sort it out.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:43 am 

spoderman01 wrote:
Got a chance to fiddle with this last night. Christ, there's a lot to the software side of things. ProTools seems almost overwhelming. Ableton seems somewhat easier to get your head around but getting some awful latency when using that so impossible to line up a guitar track with a drum track. Found some links/vids about it so hopefully one of them will sort it out.

Give Reaper a go and see how you get on, the basics of it are quite handy, it'll run on a toaster, and there's a wealth of info online about it. It's free for the full version too, and does about anything you could need it to do.

I'm awful with protools and have never used ableton but for any sort of home recording, i'll stand over Reaper + FL studio. Or Cool Edit if you fancy torrenting the oldest software ever. I still use it for a lot of stuff but it's easily 14-15 years old.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:55 am 

ochoill wrote:
It's free for the full version too

Site says it's a 60-day demo at which point you need a licence. Does it actually expire or can you just uninstall and re-download again?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:00 am 

spoderman01 wrote:
ochoill wrote:

Site says it's a 60-day demo at which point you need a licence. Does it actually expire or can you just uninstall and re-download again?

When you load it up an option comes up to continue evaluation, or words to that effect, and you're in again wherever you left off the previous session. I've been using it for years without signing up for the license.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:22 am 

Emphyrio wrote:
spoderman01 wrote:
ochoill wrote:

When you load it up an option comes up to continue evaluation, or words to that effect, and you're in again wherever you left off the previous session. I've been using it for years without signing up for the license.

Cool, will download it later and give it a while. No harm having options. Thanks gents!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:31 pm 

I guess here is as good a place as any to ask...

I've been having a lot of problems trying to use amp sim VSTs for recording. I'm using an Audient ID4 sound interface and no matter what, I'm always picking up some kind of interference when I'm playing guitar.

I've EQed a lot of noise out already (High Pass + Low Pass filter and targeted sections when sweeping for irritating pitches), but if I play and sustain a note, there's a kind of faint 'hiss' that becomes more audible as the sustain starts to die off.

I've had this problem in two different apartments, two different interfaces (the other was a Zoom G3) and on two different computers. The worst part is the Zoom G3 still did the same thing no matter if it used the power supply or the USB power.

The guitar is now copper shielded too, but it hasn't made a difference.

It happens with Amplitube (especially), Guitar Rig and Bias FX Desktop. Is there any way to help stop this? I'm kind of tired of choking tone and sustain with noise gates. I've noticed that sometimes the faint hiss contains the metronome clicking too, which is fucking weird.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:06 pm 

Try moving around the room and playing in different spots if possible - sounds absolutely ridiculous but i've noticed this happening to me, metronome bleed included, on one of my guitars but it is most prominent when I record sitting at the desk, moving back a bit kills it fairly swiftly. Pretty sure it's some sort of electrical interference from the screen but I don't know enough to prove it.

Otherwise try troubleshooting your way through your audio and power cables and see if it's any of them, they're the most likely culprit.

Edit - I haven't fixed mine yet, just lessened it. Recording through USB on a zoom G5. It is viciously bad on one of my guitars, an old solid Vintage copy of a les paul, the newer LTD 8-string doesn't seem to pick it up as much but it's audible when the instrument is on it's own.

Page: Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next