Back
  Basic i.e. cheap/foolproof home recording studio set-up

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:35 pm 

Right lads, the drummer of the band moved out of the house and we used do a lot of rough tracks on his PC using Audition. It's not ideal going out to his new place for spontaneous recording and what not.

So, the issues at hand. I only have a laptop with no recording software. I need something to record guitars and keyboards. Plugging in amps and setting up mics is not a problem per sé, though I'd prefer to plug the guitar into a mixer and into the computer then. I'm not computer illiterate altogether but only really had the basics using Audition. If it's to potentially expensive, I could make it a project over the course of a few months so give me options cheap and not so cheap. It needs to be able to record to demo standard quality-wise or thereabouts.

Do I need to get a PC? (I assume a laptop won't suffice??)
I've seen cubase in use and reckon I'd get the hang of that with practice but I figure it'd be dear enough?

Would like to be able to use Guitar Rig and comparable synth programs ideally.

Don't have any notable experience with midi though from what I've seen it's handy out.

Assuming I'm not tech savvy at all, what would your recommendations be?

Ta

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:49 pm 

I'm certainly no expert, but I recorded the VS demo using my Toshiba laptop, M-box mini with Protools LE, a pair of monitor speakers, & the rec out on my Roland minicube so I could use my own pedalboard & effects.
M-box mini is easy to use, and protools LE is straightforward enough to do the basics but has much more to it if your into it.
I'm sure there are heads here much more up to date with this sort of thing then me though.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:41 am 

Line 6 toneport UX2. Job done.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:19 am 

Ah Mike fuck off with that shite.

This lad here is what you're after. Everything you need for demos and the ilk; amp sims, audio interface, even comes with software for recording. Usb direct into your lappy and you're flyin. Using one myself so can vouch for the handiness of it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:59 am 

the UX2 is actually really deadly, if a bit fiddly to use. Twin it with Ableton (I believe it comes bundled with Ableton Lite) or download the like of Reaper or Audacity and you're flying.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:20 am 

depending on your laptop it could be completely fine, most laptops would be grand if recording one or two channels at a time,

if all you have is USB (no firewire connection) get something like the the two posted above, the zoom and the line 6 are about equal in terms of input quality, if you fancy a step up, get this
http://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and ... d__match__

it's also usb
they are great wee machines, has two inputs for recording on the front that are both mic and jack cable connections, and two outputs at the back for your speakers or headphones if you want to be quiet, i run its big brother (saffire pro 40) which is firewire and i run it on a macbook for at home stuff, i work in a recording studio by day

for free you can get reaper software, its great i know alot of professionals who use it and if you dont want to use real amps or make noise at home you can get all the fake amps for demoing you need over at

http://lepouplugins.blogspot.co.uk/

and also
http://www.tseaudio.com/software.html
you download these "plugins" and insert them on the channel with just a direct guitar sound, plugged straight in and it plays like an amp, again this is how i work at home for demoing,

these guys make and give away amp models for free as a labour of love and most of them kick the shit into commercial releases like podfarm, i'd recommend starting with lepous Lecto amp based on a mesa boogie rect, unbelievable

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:56 am 

Well kiiiiiid. Rory here. Just to let you know what I was using to record that stuff from yesterday was the Line 6 Studio UX1. I just wanted somthing to have in my room to practice with and to be able to record just in case. I could have gotten any other usb audio interface and then got some amp sims etc, but the Line 6 was just so all-in-one it was the simplest. Plus XMusic had it in stock and i was getting impatient and was missing my amp :)

Comes with the POD Farm amp sim software and Reason Limited, which is handy to use. I've been advised that Reaper would be more useful but to be honest I'm not getting big into the recording side to the Reason software works perfectly. It's been a great investment. So much better and more useful than spending the same money on lets say a Roland Micro Cube for practising.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:54 pm 

Thanks a lot for the replies lads. Gonna give them a proper gawk after work. I'll report back with the questions I'm sure I'll have!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:32 pm 

fonniewhelan wrote:
So much better and more useful than spending the same money on lets say a Roland Micro Cube for practising.

Don't be diss'in the Microcube :lol: best 70€ quid I've ever spent.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:39 pm 

wizardinblack wrote:
I'm certainly no expert, but I recorded the VS demo using my Toshiba laptop, M-box mini with Protools LE, a pair of monitor speakers, & the rec out on my Roland minicube so I could use my own pedalboard & effects.
M-box mini is easy to use, and protools LE is straightforward enough to do the basics but has much more to it if your into it.
I'm sure there are heads here much more up to date with this sort of thing then me though.

Sie, The VS demo is really good quality! Finally dug it out of a horde of CDs and threw it in the car. Seems a couple of the other options are more convenient though and simplicity is exactly what I'm looking towards.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:06 pm 

Right lads, your help is much appreciated.

Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 USB Audio Interface and line 6 toneport ux2 look to be a very similar set up. The Zoom G3X multi-effects pedal looks to be a different gizmo entirely. The zoom has amp sims and FX built in which would appear more straightforward than recording a dry signal and adding FX in post. Pros and cons with this of course. I guess recording a dry signal might be better as I assume changing the FX afterwards is more versatile??

The zoom comes with Steinberg Sequel LE. How does that compare with Ableton Lite Live (Focusrite) or the Line6 software?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:09 pm 

Also, I'm really liking the idea of not having to mic stuff up. Didn't realise there were so many options at such reasonable prices.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:36 am 

I would go for the focusrite over the line6, heard good things about it. Recording a dry signal and then adding effects is better. There's lots of effects that can be bought or downloaded free, applying them in the software is easy. A half decent laptop should be fine if you're only using a two input USB interface. Don't think there's much difference between Sequel and Ableton. You can download full versions of Cubase or Ableton if you're a dirty software thief anyway... Or there's Reaper which is very good and free.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:19 pm 

Ok, the focusrite is looking like a winner unless anybody else wants to weigh in on the discussion....

What's the story with stuff like guitar rig and things like that. Easily usable with the software that comes with it?

Also, recording keys is no problem?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:55 pm 

Good shout on the focusrite, it's a wee beast,

Any recording software such as ableton or reaper (which are known as DAWs) will have the ability to host stuff like guitar rig, or line 6 podfarm which also comes in a purely computerized form (without need of a physical pod) but if you don't own any software FX like guitar rig etc.(all instruments and effects with DAWs are referred to as plugin's by the way) definitely check out the two sites i linked you to in my earlier post, i started out using those and if i wasn't using a mac and protools, i would still be using them as they blow stuff like guitar rig completely out of the water in terms of realism and quality,

for recording keys, it depends on how you plan to do it, if its a keyboard with sounds built into it, then you should be able to just plug it into the jack input of the focusrite, no problem, if it's a midi/usb keyboard then you will need to get a synth or piano software that, like the guitar ones can be hosted inside your DAW on a channel, these plugins can then be played with the usb/midi keyboard. if you are on windows there are literally hundreds of free synths out there, "Synth 1 " and "Zebralette" are amazing starting points, not for natural piano sounds though,

KVR is a great website for finding free FX, synths, guitar amp simulators etc etc it's all verified and well trusted, just make sure that if you are on windows that you get a windows VST and install it correctly, feel free to fire more questions as i've been through all this

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next