Back
  Basic i.e. cheap/foolproof home recording studio set-up

Page: Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:39 pm 

Haven't dicked about with midi stuff yet but one of the lads here gave me a heads up with the markers on Reaper. Easy when you know how and all that haha

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:07 pm 

sweet, how are you finding the focusrite? Is the guitars going straight into that and then DI into reaper + FX on it?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:13 pm 

To be honest dude, I can't say if it's good or bad cos I've no basis for comparison but I've had zero problems with it so far. I'm clueless and I can work it so that must be a good thing!

And yup, that's basically my set up. Guitar rig for guitar fx. I record keys directly into the focusrite with no gowling around with fx etc. It's only used for demoing future songs so I wouldn't be a perfectionist with mixing and stuff. Changing bpms has been helpful alright so the lads have a pretty accurate idea of the way I imagine the song going by the time I'm done.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:58 am 

Just wanted to chime in here and say that Reaper is a great tool. I've been recording stuff with it for the past little while and it just gets easier each time I use it. I have no real clue what I'm doing in regard to recording and mixing but just looking up some Youtube tutorials helps me out a lot, especially in regard to EQing the guitars and bass tracks.

I'm currently using my Zoom G3 to record direct with no amp simulation etc., and then using Guitar Rig within Reaper as a VST to experiment with sounds afterwards, which helps to prevent endless headaches with recording from an amp or amp simulator and then re-recording it all over when I'm not happy with the tone.

I also use Hydrogen for the drums, which is a pretty decent and free tool. You can customise the drumkit sounds, but the limitation to it is that you can't use it as a VST within Reaper, so you have to export from within Hydrogen to a wav file and then upload it as a Media Track to Reaper. It works pretty well this way, though, even if it isn't the most efficient.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:57 am 

I use EZ drummer from hell which can be used within reaper so it's very handy. That said I don't ordinarily spend loads of time on the drum track. Not much point when the drummer is gonna do his own thing by the time it gets to the jam room.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:59 pm 

True enough. Myself and another band member are pretty much recording guitars, bass and drums for general demo tracks and ideas but letting the drummer and bassist know that they're just templates, so they can do what they like when they're learning the song structures.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:52 pm 

So I ended up buying a Focusrite 2i2. Much better than the Line6 UX2 I have. UX2 had a lot of static/fizz coming from it compared.

Use reaper and ended up buying ezdrummer/slate triggers/X50 and a few other VSTs.

Now I've pretty much zero knowledge in mixing and all that jazz but decided to record 2 quick clips to show what can be done with this setup ->
Fear Factory - Shock
https://youtu.be/M6548h57gvk

Dimmu Borgir - Gateways (Choir very slightly clips oops!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RUwQGlXMI4

Still learning how to gel stuff together and EQ/compress etc but it's been a fun exercise so far, any tips/tutorials/pointers in the right direction are welcome!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:10 pm 

valedictionkev wrote:

Use reaper and ended up buying ezdrummer/slate triggers/X50 and a few other VSTs.

Sounds good dude, how much did you pay for the VSTs?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:22 pm 

Emphyrio wrote:
valedictionkev wrote:

Sounds good dude, how much did you pay for the VSTs?

Cheers.

EZDrummer 139 euro. Made Of Metal Expansion 69 euro.
Slate Trigger 2 was 86 euro. Feckers don't tell you that you need to buy a 15 euro dongle USB. But gives you a way to put much better drum samples on the kick/snare etc.
TSE X50 30 euro on sale. Great guitar amp/impulses on it along with a tube screamer / gate / tuner / delay.
Rough Rider compressor - free. http://freevsts.com/listing/audio-damage-rough-rider/
Reaper EQ is good and free but FabFilter Pro-Q 2 is amazing, that was 149.

So in total 488 euro spent on all that but if you write/record a lot at home then money well spent in my book!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:03 pm 

Ya, in fairness you use it enough to warrant a purchase. I really only record stuff just so I don't forget the stuff!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:58 pm 

definitely a cool start kev! some decent plugins you got there too, i use x50 myself, great plugin.

would be worth searching around online for some different IR's the ones in x50 really let it down i think, there are LOADS of free ones kicking around. I've got bags of cool ones, just put them in a folder somewhere and use the cabinet section of x50 to load them, easy peasy.

Fire me a message and i can give you a bunch of the free ones i've collected over the years. It'll vastly improve the tone coming out of the thing give a really good foothold.

Also if you arent aware of all the other free amps and cabinet loaders out there, all of the "lepou" amps are free vsts and he has a free separate cab loader, (doesnt come with any impulse response files, so you'll need some) but they are incredible for being free, he has mesa, engl and marshall clones among others ,

his website is here the downloads are on the right side
http://lepouplugins.blogspot.co.uk/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:12 pm 

Does anyone have any tips of how to get amp feedback through VST recordings? I'm kind of tired of how everything generally sounds clean when I'm recording and would prefer some feedback here and there, especially recording Sludge.

I managed to get some by placing my headphones near the bridge pickup for sampling purposes, but it sounds very forced and I have to kind of fade in the feedback track into what I've already recorded in an attempt at making it sound natural. It kind of works, but it's not ideal.

I know I can use a Fernandes Sustaniac and that plugin and preamp pack that's meant to help simulate it (can't remember the name), but I don't fancy spending near or over E100 just to sometimes use either here and there.

I've read that I can use studio monitors and just hold the guitar close to one of them, but getting the volume that high is a problem as I prefer recording quietly.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:49 am 

deadmaker wrote:
definitely a cool start kev!
Fire me a message and i can give you a bunch of the free ones i've collected over the years. It'll vastly improve the tone coming out of the thing give a really good foothold.

his website is here the downloads are on the right side
http://lepouplugins.blogspot.co.uk/

Cheers dude - PM sent! Yeah already I'm getting a better tone just trying out a few different impulses (and doing better EQ - was too extreme with low/high pass filters).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:22 pm 

valedictionkev wrote:
Still learning how to gel stuff together and EQ/compress etc but it's been a fun exercise so far, any tips/tutorials/pointers in the right direction are welcome!

One thing I found with double- and quad-tracking guitars is that the tracks can end up slightly misaligned in time even if the playing is in time. I think its the latency of the interface or software can shift things very slightly out and it gives a sort of short reverb or very slightly blurred sound. It's probably only 10s of ms.

If you shift things slightly in software to bring them back in time with each other in can make a big difference in things sounding tight. It's pretty easy, just zoom in and line up the attacks of the first note. You can also deliberately misalign them for a less precise sound.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:04 pm 

Lads, thought i'd post this here, quickly, for any one in Belfast who is interested, instead of making a whole other thread.
Start together studiois having a few free recording/production workshops on friday 13th november one at 12pm one at 2pm. Just fire us over an email at info@starttogetherstudio.com with the subject "workshop".

We have worked on a load of rock and indie that may not appeal, but have done metal releases from, Hornets, slomatics, war iron, nomadic rituals, ghost origin, scimitar.

Hopefully this isn't frowned on for throwing it in here as it's free and i've been in and out of this thread for ages.

EDIT: Full detail here https://www.facebook.com/starttogetherstudio/photos/a.186636598020440.51845.129462820404485/1176209975729759/?type=3&theater
Niall

Page: Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next