Back
  Basic i.e. cheap/foolproof home recording studio set-up

Page: Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:31 pm 

No harm in giving that it's own thread man.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:36 pm 

Just a quick throw away comment on MIDI sounds. If your using the likes of guitar pro to write/build up songs/riffs and the RSE sounds are annoying you or lag, try downloading a soundfont, I use 'CrisiGeneralMidi3.01.sf2', all free. I use 'CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth' to configure it for audio playback.

Uploaded a MIDI with that soundfont to give an idea, obviously, still sounds like a Nintendo game :lol: but I think it's much improved on the standard MIDI sound. Gives me a good guide before I go record guitars and see where everything fits. Also getting me back into writing more melodic metal, check it here ->
https://youtu.be/CPtcHazrQ54

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:12 am 

Yes chaps.

Any recommendations for a usb interface?

I will be using mostly active pickup'd guitars so does this affect my choice at all?

Cheers for any input.

T

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:51 am 

Karl Hungus wrote:
Yes chaps.

Any recommendations for a usb interface?

I will be using mostly active pickup'd guitars so does this affect my choice at all?

Cheers for any input.

T

Focusrite 2i2 is doing me fine for home stuff. I also bought a passive DI box which seems to do the job.

Last edited by valedictionkev on Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:26 pm 

Cheers sir.

I have one of those Scarlett yokes on my shopping list. I'll look into a di box too.

T

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:05 pm 

On my home recordings I've been using Guitar rig, which is grand but lately I've been thinking of replacing those guitars with an actual amp. How do I go about this without needing to mic up a cab and blast my neighbours out of it?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:58 pm 

One of these

http://www.palmer-germany.com/mi/en/Spe ... lators.htm

Picked up an 8ohm PDI03 off adverts for 200 quid last year. Have the 60W Fryette running into it. It's essentially a big heat sink - just dissipates the output of the amp into heat passively and leaves you with a line out signal. It doesn't sound like a mic'd speaker to my ears, but I'm still learning how to get the best out of it and, now that I know the sound of it, I can now hear it on lots and lots of albums I had always assumed to be mic'd. 90's and onwards Alex Lifeson, lots, if not all, Satriani and I reckon Mental Vortex and Grin are Palmer too.

Last edited by Juggz on Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:02 pm 

If it's a combo amp you could DI off the line out/headphones of it but it will sound a fair bit different to doing it at some volume with a mic. Honestly if you're trying to retain the sound of the amp without using a mic and a reasonable volume, you might as well stay with Guitar rig. Or get one of those zoom G5 pedals I pointed out to you in the other thread, has a USB and DI out. Again it's amp emulation though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:04 pm 

Juggz wrote:
One of these

http://www.palmer-germany.com/mi/en/Spe ... lators.htm

Picked up an 8ohm PDI03 off adverts for 200 quid last year. Have the 60W Fryette running into it. It's essentially a big heat sink - just dissipates the output of the amp into heat passively and leaves you with a line out signal. It doesn't sound like a mic'd speaker to my ears, but I'm still learning how to get the best out of it and, now that I know the sound of it, I can now hear it on lots and lots of albums I had always assumed to be mic'd. 90's and onwards Alex Lifeson, lots, if not all, Satriani and I reckon Mental Vortex and Grin are Palmer too.

Ooh I'd never seen one of these before. Neat, and much more use than the options I just gave :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:09 pm 

:lol: Yeah, after leaving the Woe I was faced with potentially selling the Fryette again because it's way too loud for home use but the Palmer made everything ok again. I had never really looked into this kind of thing but it definitely works, just need to spend a bit more time with it to fully understand how to get the best out of it, but it's cool that you can really drive the shit out of the valves and this thing makes it recordable.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:32 pm 

Let's work off the assumption that I'm mildly retarded... How does this work?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:33 pm 

Guitar into amp/Palmer gizmo into Recording interface into laptop?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:17 pm 

Yep. Plug the amp speaker output into the Palmer and there's a line out from the Palmer which you run into your soundcard. You need to get one which matches the ohm rating of your amp but, other than that, that's it.

Edit -> imagine it as the speaker and mic in one, in rackmount form.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:07 pm 

I see, I see. I'm probably just being awkward. It's only for home demo use, it's just that I haven't really fucked around with the presets on Guitar Rig and I've used probably too many anyway. Listening back to the trax then sounds like 4 different bands. I could just as easily spend a bit of time saving a couple of presets that I'm happy with. I just get these notions :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:44 am 

Looking to grab either a Focusrite Scarlett Solo or Presonus Audiobox One at the moment- I know people have sung the praises of the Focusrite but anyone used the Presonus?Just looking to record guitar and vocals, my previous set up is a bit arsey to use, and both the above seem cheap and cheerful

Page: Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next