Back
  Gear Pet Peeves!

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:44 pm 

Feel free to tell me to fuck off and lock the thread but I though I'd start this as a side to the Controversial Gear Opinions thread.

So many little things are annoying me lately!

I'll get the ball rolling...

People complaining about the spec on signature instruments.

Do you not understand that its a SIGNATURE instrument? Its what the artists play and want!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:56 pm 

Great thread.

Oh there's loads, for example brightly coloured rosewood I just can't stand. You even see it on some very high end guitars and it looks awful.

On the same line of peeves the Ibanez Iron Label series claiming to be a straight up metal axe. Put a fucking ebony board on it then and stainless steel frets or something. Big black guitar with a naff rosewood board. Nothing wrong with rosewood tonally but surely ebony was the way to go?

oh Christ i could go on, but I wont :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:01 pm 

Haha! Yeah I fucking hate rotten looking Rosewood. Really ruins some guitars.

The rosewood on my 7 and 8 looks OK, not too bright so I can live with it. The rosewood on my EC-1000 actually looks ebony, which is nice!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:21 pm 

skadk666 wrote:
Haha! Yeah I fucking hate rotten looking Rosewood. Really ruins some guitars.

The rosewood on my 7 and 8 looks OK, not too bright so I can live with it. The rosewood on my EC-1000 actually looks ebony, which is nice!

It's deciding factor in chosing a guitar for me. I had a Music Man JP6 before and it was really dark and looked great. Then I've seen some online with really bright rosewood and really takes away from the look. It's a superficial thing but hey, that's me :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:03 pm 

- Jackson only offering their mid-range V's in EMG flavour. gaaaah!

- Decent guitar leads being expensive.

- three-pickup guitars. HATE HATE HATE.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:25 pm 

Not gear related but atm it's trying to get my hands and feet up to speed after not playing drums for over a year. Hands are blistered ta fuck!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:36 pm 

I broke my right hand a few years back and it took me fuckin WEEKS to get back up to guitaring speed. Given the amount i whacked off at the time you'd have thought i'd have been safegaurded against any loss of picking speed, but alas...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:41 pm 

Too many to name em all but some are:

Guitars with more than 8 strings, I've seen a few pics of these from NAMM last year and this year, They look cool but are fucking daft if you ask me. I can barely stand 7 and 8 strings as it is but thats mainly because most bands that use em just sound the same to my ears (animals as leaders being the exception as they are more musical).

Pedalboards that leave the pedals too low near the edges so the case edge covers the input jack and the leads dont fit in snug and you haveta raise the pedal up to get the lead in and out.

But THE most annoying thing about guitar gear for me is the GAS, Seriously, there is WAY TOO MUCH cool gear that I wish I could just buy but money does not allow. Pedals and pickups being the usual suspects!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:57 pm 

i really wish more companies offered EMG-style "quick-connect" pickups.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:28 pm 

Jack sockets that come loose. Seriously budget guitar companies, it is not that expensive to put a locking washer on the jack socket, so my students don't turn up week after week with the lead hanging out of the guitar like a dogs tongue.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:05 pm 

Signature instruments for some clown who never played that make or model of guitar before Fender or Gibson fucked a wad of cash at them. Cunts who released signature guitars but never play them. Signature instruments which are the same as standard models except the colour is slightly different and cost two hundred quid more. Fuck off.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:20 pm 

drum gear being so fucking expensive! :? the fact that i'm basically smashing 400 euro with a stick everytime i hit a cymbal is a sickening thought. i should've taken up the tin whistle! :?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:32 pm 

gertyuiop wrote:
drum gear being so fucking expensive! :? the fact that i'm basically smashing 400 euro with a stick everytime i hit a cymbal is a sickening thought. i should've taken up the tin whistle! :?

:lol: Definitely. Next time I break a cymbal I'm just buying cheap ones. Fuck em.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:05 pm 

I've just given up altogether! :lol: Same heads for the last 2 years i'd say (although I recently busht my bass drum head so that's another 40/50 quid!) and after a full set of cymbals i'm down to just hats and one of those omni sabian crash/ride jobbies. it's just too expensive to keep up a full set while still in college/not in full-time employment.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:13 am 

Yeah 3 pickups!!! Don't get that.

In fact a middle pickup at all annoys the shit out of me. Any guitar with a H-S-H configuration is dead to me. Gets in the way of my picking.

The volume knobs of Fender Strats is too goddamn close to your hand. Always end up knocking down the volume while playing. :evil:

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next