Back
  Gear Pet Peeves!

Page: Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:22 pm 

Ouch. Could be worse and happen during your set, as was the craic Saturday night......luckily came back on again, just a dodgy extension lead.

A related peeve-straplocks failing. Duct tape does NOT do the job. Had to hit the overdrive with my knee.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:32 pm 

it could indeed have been worse, thankfully I was able to just strip absolutely everything and run guitar straight into the head I was gonna use as a poweramp as it was a proper saucy amp (a Laney GH50). Not 100% ideal but given that there was no alternative, worse things have happened.

Deeply embarrassing at the time in fairness, first time I've ever had a rig tap out on me in the live environment.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:27 pm 

It's a horrible feeling, but as most touring bands know all too well, shit happens.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:20 am 

Ned the Gom wrote:
straplocks failing.

This fucking sucks. happened to me last year at a gig. a reviewer carped about me suddenly stopping playing in the middle of the set to catch the falling instrument - like I love a good riff but I'm not letting an expensive guitar hit the deck just to keep said riff cooking :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:30 am 

Active Pickups, more specifically the battery dying when you really want to play.

Got a new delay pedal, set aside time on Sunday to play for a couple of hours, only to find the battery died in my Ec-1000. :x

I do have other guitars, of course, and most without actives but I hadn't that one in a long time and was really looking forward to it!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:31 am 

Schaller straplocks are a must lads.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:34 am 

wizardinblack wrote:
Schaller straplocks are a must lads.

I can't stand the metal on metal with them. These days I just screw the straps directly to the guitars/basses.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:15 am 

"I can't stand the metal on metal with them." - I'm stumped on that one Moose :lol:

"metal on metal" - best Metal album name ever btw :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:42 am 

But, oddly, not the best album ever :lol:

When it comes to straplocks, Dunlop all the way.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:17 am 

wizardinblack wrote:
"I can't stand the metal on metal with them." - I'm stumped on that one Moose :lol:

"metal on metal" - best Metal album name ever btw :wink:

The feel of the metal rubbing against the metal as you move. They also move the strap too far away from the guitar. Just hate them. Call them my guitar pet peeve. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:41 pm 

Good call Juggz :lol:

Moose :lol: - I can hear the annoyance in your words!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:36 pm 

I've probably bellyached about this before but gear demo videos... for fuck sake, so many of them are utterly useless. More often than not just some goon trying to show off his chops than actually show you what a piece of gear is capable of.

This applies particularly with guitar amp videos when you move towards the higher gain stages or any bass video, amp or bass, are always just an excuse for boinka dink dink slap wankfest. Cunts. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:29 am 

Showing up to a gig and the kit provided has only one rack tom. How are you supposed to play metal on half a drum kit?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:09 pm 

neck dive.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:46 am 

Juggz wrote:
I've probably bellyached about this before but gear demo videos... for fuck sake, so many of them are utterly useless. More often than not just some goon trying to show off his chops than actually show you what a piece of gear is capable of.

This applies particularly with guitar amp videos when you move towards the higher gain stages or any bass video, amp or bass, are always just an excuse for boinka dink dink slap wankfest. Cunts. :lol:

Got sent just about the only GOOD instructional video by one of our guitarists for an accoustic and vocal harmoniser pedal. the dude demonstrating it played a couple of strummed chords and sang a couple of notes for each setting. So you could tell all the things it could do, and how it could improve an average sounding voice and instrument which made it much more helpful. Rather than some dude shredding a Petrucci solo, totally masking what the fucking thing you're trying to sell me will actually do!!!

Leave your ego at the fuckin' door.

Page: Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next