Back
  Gear Pet Peeves!

Page: Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:47 am 

Juggz wrote:
I've probably bellyached about this before but gear demo videos... for fuck sake, so many of them are utterly useless. More often than not just some goon trying to show off his chops than actually show you what a piece of gear is capable of.

This applies particularly with guitar amp videos when you move towards the higher gain stages or any bass video, amp or bass, are always just an excuse for boinka dink dink slap wankfest. Cunts. :lol:

Got sent just about the only GOOD instructional video by one of our guitarists for an accoustic and vocal harmoniser pedal. the dude demonstrating it played a couple of strummed chords and sang a couple of notes for each setting. So you could tell all the things it could do, and how it could improve an average sounding voice and instrument (which is what we'd actually need it for) which made it much more helpful. Rather than some dude shredding a Petrucci solo, totally masking what the fucking thing you're trying to sell me will actually do!!!

Leave your ego at the fuckin' door.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:22 am 

Ad bullshit. We all talk it up, but is your Chinese knockoff really that much better than the real thing? Really?

http://www.adverts.ie/electric-basses/r ... e/10187613

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:27 am 

So everything has been improved over what Rickenbacker use? All from a shitty Chinese factory?

Yeah, jog on kid.

That shit does my head in.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:34 am 

I'd be quite keen to find out on what he has based his assertion that its "not possible to intonate the bass correct" on a legit Rickenbacker.

Now, believe it or not shine make some half-decent guitars. My love affair with Flying Vs was started by a Shine guitar - a copy of a Mike Amott Ninja with a Bill Lawrence 500XL in the bridge. It played really nice. However, no shine guitar is EVER gonna be comparable to the real things they're aping and further more, no shine guitar is worth even close to 550, even brand new in box with a free handjob upon delivery.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:34 am 

I'd be quite keen to find out on what he has based his assertion that its "not possible to intonate the bass correct" on a legit Rickenbacker.

Now, believe it or not shine make some half-decent guitars. My love affair with Flying Vs was started by a Shine guitar - a copy of a Mike Amott Ninja with a Bill Lawrence 500XL in the bridge. It played really nice. However, no shine guitar is EVER gonna be comparable to the real things they're aping and further more, no shine guitar is worth even close to 550, even brand new in box with a free handjob upon delivery.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:23 am 

The with bass now is that other than being a lookalike it's gonna be nothing like a Ric so why bother with it unless you're poser. One of classic features of a Ric bass is the lack of taper on the neck yet this looks like a jazz, also extra 3/4 of an inch scale length like a jazz. Presumably a single truss rod like a jazz. Basically it's chinese jazz copy dressed up to look like a Ric.

I'd be looking for an old Ibanez or Greco that actually plays like a Ric rather than one of these, if I was after something of the sort that is. Or at least get an actual copy from China which there seems to be plenty of.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:50 am 

The Boss PW-10 having a drive distortion that remains on when the pedal isn't. Never used it but must have turned it up without realising while knocking around yesterday. Suddenly getting loads of feedback and had no idea from where. Disregarded the wah as it wasn't turned on....3 f%&king hours taking it all apart and putting it back together again and again trying to find the cause. Who'd want to get there distortion from a wah anyway....grrrrr.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:14 pm 

That's a bit stupid alright.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:59 am 

When the strapholder on your guitar falls out. No matter how many times I tried to screw it back in it kept coming out again. Any suggestions on how to fix it or am I doomed to having a guitar fall off me every time I play it from now on?

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:31 am 

This used to happen me with an old epiphone I had 10 years ago. For a quick fix, break a matchstick into pieces (discard the red sulphurous bits), ram them in there and screw back in. This will work for a while, I wouldn't bet on it for a permanent fix but it should hold for a couple of gigs, depending on how hard you're rockin'!!

For a permanent fix, you'll have to shape a plug for the hole, then then drill it again. There's tutorials online if you're handy enough with tools.

Best of luck

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:13 am 

The absolute quickest fix is to cover the screw in duct tape and drive it back in, but filling & redrilling the hole is the only proper solution. Which isn't remotely as bad as it sounds.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:14 am 

Use a bigger screw.

If you're not using straplocks (and everybody should) they come with a much longer and wider screw than you get with a factory installed strap button, specifically to avoid this kind of thing.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:21 am 

xspudx wrote:
This will work for a while, I wouldn't bet on it for a permanent fix but it should hold for a couple of gigs, depending on how hard you're rockin'!!

Err..I'm fairly mobile onstage going on videos I've seen :lol:

Cheers for the advice folks. I'm fucking useless with even the simplest of repairs so I'm terrified I'll fuck up the filler/driller combo. I'll try the strap lock thing.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:28 am 

I'll second the match stick thing. Thought it would be too ridiculous to work when it was suggested to me before but it does the job to be fair.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:04 pm 

I prefer tooth picks/cocktail sticks to match sticks for this purpose.

Page: Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next