Back
  Boss Hm-2 vs Berhinger Hm-300

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm 

Now, obvious build quality issues aside(shitty plastic case on the berhinger) anyone know the story with the Berhinger? Is supposed to be a clone of the hm-2, however every comparison video or demonstration I can find is shitty quality or some guy playing ac/dc style rock, which obviously doesn't demonstrate its true potential.
Anyone have any thoughts on it? Have an empty boss shell from an old os-3 was thinking of getting the berhinger and slapping it into a boss shell.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:35 pm 

Leigh M. wrote:
Now, obvious build quality issues aside(shitty plastic case on the berhinger) anyone know the story with the Berhinger? Is supposed to be a clone of the hm-2, however every comparison video or demonstration I can find is shitty quality or some guy playing ac/dc style rock, which obviously doesn't demonstrate its true potential.
Anyone have any thoughts on it? Have an empty boss shell from an old os-3 was thinking of getting the berhinger and slapping it into a boss shell.

Actually bought a Made in Japan HM-2 last week so I'd to do all the research you're currently going through. By all accounts the Behringer is supposed to be as close as you're likely to get but there are also subtle differences. One would imagine it'll be about as close as the Made in Taiwan HM-2s, which is close but not identical.

Taiwanese HM-2s are easy enough tp pick up on the cheap. Loads on ebay in various condition states. Think there's one or 2 on adverts also. Japanese ones are significantly more expensive. I put a bid on one of each on adverts last week and the guy selling the Jap one replied first so I nabbed it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:50 pm 

Well tbh, I had a go of a taiwanese one a while back and it sounded great to me. Ebay is a no go for me, unfortunatly, so I figured I might as well drop 20blips and try out the berhinger. If im forking out for something decent it'd be a japanese one, so this is really just to tide me over until I get a jap one.
Ever had a go of the berhinger? Any pro's/con's?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:55 pm 

To be honest dude, like you, youtube is as far as I went for a comparison. As you say, the Behringer is cheap so it'll do for a while anyway. I just hope it portrays the sound accurately enough for you to decide whether it's the sound you're after or not. I'm happy with what I got anyway, despite it only being used sporadically.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:31 pm 

Yeah i've heard a bunch of various shoot outs over the years on forums, can't find them now though, all old dead links. HM300 doesn't seem to be exactly the same but it's close, plus anyone whos done shootouts can't seem to get a good tone with the HM-2 itself, i've got a Japanese one myself that i picked up for around £40 in perfect working order.

I've heard a lot of people saying they sound weak and strange but it's usually the case that they are trying to use a boss 9v power supply with them when the jap hm-2 from mid 80s is 12v. A 9v battery makes it sound great and if you are competent with a soldering iron there is the easiest mod in the world to make it work fully with a 9v power supply, I did it to mine last year and it sounds aces. It's also fairly useless to put the pedal in front of an already distorted amp, a slightly boosted clean sound is when i've got the best results when stomping on the pedal.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:35 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLWXjgG39tw <<pretty good to compare tones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW4MGqn8uk8 <<< actually plays swedish death metal like riffs.

I got an MIT myself. It's a great pedal for bass as well, you can replicate that Godflesh like bass tone quite easily.

If you are just looking to place it in a shell why not look up the schematics of the old pedals and just build it in yourself? If that's out of your reach should try and contact Moose on here man. Buddy of mine has one of his pedals and it sounds great.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:59 am 

Cheers for the links skanmar.
Building one myself is a nice thought, but it'd be well beyond my skill level to do well I'd say. Swapping it from a shitty plastic case to a metal one is easy peasy though.
Looks like I'll be getting a Hm-2 tomorrow night anyway and I'll be grabbing a berhinger whenever I get the chance, will be interesting to compare em.
Ah yeah had a go of one of moose's a while back, they're definatly cool.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:24 pm 

Not meaning to hi-jack the thread here but is anybody else noticing how these pedals recently gained a lot of popularity again?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:58 pm 

There's at least two companies doing modded clones of the Hm2s which has certainly helped with their popularity recently. Let me know if the Behringer fits in the boss case as I've a few dead boss pedals that could be put to better use.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:43 pm 

The Wren and Cuff one is fucking ridiculous...nearly 300 smackers or something? I've a Dunwich one on order which was a little cheaper but I don't expect it to arrive for a while yet.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:56 pm 

moose wrote:
There's at least two companies doing modded clones of the Hm2s which has certainly helped with their popularity recently. Let me know if the Behringer fits in the boss case as I've a few dead boss pedals that could be put to better use.

Will do moose, the only difference I know of between the two from seeing pictures is the power input on the berhinger is on the right hand side above the jack input, as opposed to on the top, but drilling a hole in the case isn't much bother. I'd say the berhinger switch would be completely different to the boss one too, so I'll probably have to solder on the old boss switch in place of whatever is on the HM300.
@skanmar, I've noticed that too actually, don't ask me why though. Any big bands doing the rounds at the moment been known to sport em?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:22 pm 

Rotten Sound definitely use them, trap them, the secret and Nails too.

Seem to be getting a fair bit of use these days, being a fan of entombeds' groovier stuff and a huge fan of all of the above, i couldn't resist getting one, embarrassingly i've gone as far as buying this t-shirt, cause it's fucking awesome :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:43 pm 

deadmaker wrote:

That is awesome!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:50 pm 

Saw that in into the void today actually. :)
That trap them stuff seems decent, any recomendations?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:23 pm 

haha thanks for the support lads, it's such a loud shirt in real life but it's so killer i can't not love it, :lol:

as for trap them, seizures in barren praise for me is my personal favorite, but i like everything i've heard.

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next