Back
  In-Ear Monitor Systems

Page: 1, 2  Next

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:29 am 

As I no longer use a head and cab onstage, I’m relying on stage monitors to be able to hear myself. To that end, I want to pick up a set of in-ears so I can hear what I want how I want to hear it, and am not at the mercy of the quality of a venue’s monitors. Does anyone on here have any experience with them and subsequent recommendations? I’ve been checking out Thomann and the like and the price range varies wildly, e.g. bargain basement setups being around £100 and the fancy stuff being north of a grand. What difference does the higher price tags make, and how much will I need to spend to get a decent rig? Doenst have to be world-beating, just loud enough that I can hear myself properly, lightweight enough that the receiver pack wont de-bag me mid song and durable enough that it can take a knock or two and keep firing.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:14 pm 

In fairness, unless you are for playin a huge stage, the onstage volume from whatever else is gonna be up there is gonna require these things to be fairly loud. I understand they claim to keep that noise out, i'm just doubting it will fully. Not sure you are going down the right avenue with in ears, but thats your choice.
Up until your singer, i dont ever recall seeing anyone local wise play using in ears.
Never toy with the idea of a good 2x12??

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:38 pm 

I've no experience of them, Mike, but I definitely think they're the future, even at local level. One thing though, would you be looking to run a monitor mix through them or just your own rig and using the onstage monitors for everything else?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:29 pm 

Would most likely want to run my own soundthrough them and let the stage monitors handle everything else. Ideally I like to have my guitar fierce loud in the monitors but I don't want to act the gobshite and spoil the mix for everyone else so this seems to be the way to go.

Have used a 2x12 onstage before but am gravitating toward in ears as it means the only things I ever need to take to a gig are guitar case (which holds all my cables and bits too) and my board.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:27 pm 

There's no point in cheaping out with in ears. Cheap ones will potentially harm your hearing and won't have the kind of protection built in to prevent sudden peaks. Here's the thing- you don't have to be wireless. You can have a wired pack for much cheaper. The quality of the ears you use is also very important. You can use regular ear buds but they won't reduce the stage level meaning you'll only be adding to the volume, which is bad for your hearing.

Your idea to use your in ears just with your own signal won't really fly. Proper in-ears are designed to significantly reduce the volume so you won't be able to hear your band mates. This means you'll probably end up asking for a crazy wedge mix.

I've done sound for plenty of local level bands using in-ears, it's not a big deal. Basically you take the feed from the desk that would be going to the monitors. This means that you either have in ears or monitors. Not both.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:28 pm 

and you have to be the awkward prick in the support band holding up the whole show soundchecking your in ear monitors... If you're of the opinion the soundman is not gonna do a enough good job for you with stage monitors I'm astonished that you think they can handle a special monitor mix for your in ears.

I would love a pair of these for drum practice, outside of that I don't see these having any place in small live music venues.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:10 pm 

Ciaran, would you ever come across bands who would have a full compliment of in-ears, as well as their own desk to mix it themselves?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:30 am 

I haven't done a show like that but I know a band that does it. They are usually a wedding band so got the rig primarily for that though.

It's not really all that hard to incorporate in ears from a sound engineers perspective. You'd take the same feed from the desk as would be sent to the poweramps for the monitors so it's as simple as plugging a cable out along the chain and whatever you're using.

Our drummer does this for most gigs. He just takes the feed and runs it into a small mixer and uses the headphone out. Only takes an extra minute to set up and get working.

My main point earlier is to not cheap out and to get something decent and set up properly.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:14 pm 

I've never been a fan of iem's because I feel completely 'detached' from the whole gig. As anybody knows from experience playing live, the sound on stage is always going to vary greatly depending on the venue and where you are onstage at any one time, but the only way to combat shit sound onstage is to rely more on being able to play your material as a whole without relying on being able to hear the bass, vocals etc perfectly. I used to practice with our drummer on our own too so if I couldn't hear anything else I could still take all my cues from the drummer. And never set up a practice room in a circle formation, always try set up your rehearsal space as you will onstage. 9 out of ten bands practice everything facing each other and don't realise that they sound 'tight' coz they are cueing each other without knowing it, and then they get onstage and everything falls to shit.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:09 pm 

What paddy said and 6was9 too. I've never ever felt the need to go in ear on stage. I don't feel the need to have the mix going directly into my ear. Don't think I'd like that. I don't think I've played venues big enough to necessitate it either. That, and what if the sound man is mediocre and has little experience with them and decides to blast the ear drums off you mid set?? It would like a scene from "scanners". We've always practiced as were onstage. It works well to know all your cues inside and out, that way you don't need to hear the mix, that's the sound mans job. I generally don't have anything other than kick and snare in the monitor as I can generally hear myself on stage in any given situation. Personally I don't think I'd like it all blasting directly into my ears

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:41 am 

connorputrefy wrote:
I can generally hear myself on stage in any given situation.

Mike's problem is that he wont.
Decent ears will run you hundreds and could be quite an annoyance for everyone involved. I'd advise sticking with the cab; run your pedal direct to the foh and also simultaneously poweramp the cab for yourself. The crowd will have the tasty tone and you (and the rest of the band) can hear yourself. Not every venue will have wedges and if only you have inears the rest of the lads wont know what you're playing.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:28 am 

Absolutely crazy idea unless you're going to bring your own engineer and mixing desk with you everywhere you go.

If the local engineers aren't up to the task of mixing onstage monitors, then they are going make an absolute bollox of your IEM mix.

In order to get a proper mix for ears, you would ideally set up ambient microphones in order to capture the room sound, which would then be fed back to your IEMs by the engineer so you don't have a mix that's completely detached from reality. You would have the blend of everything you need saved to snapshots (possibly for each song) of your digital desk that your engineer is bringing to each gig. That way there would be very minor tweaks from gig to gig to cater for the room sound of each different venue.

If you're going to get a local engineer to do a seperate mix for your IEMs, you're just going to be a pain in the hole for him, therefore resulting in you not getting the best out of him and you taking out one IEM in order to hear what's actually going on, and that will do serious damage to your hearing.

If you're not in a touring band with your own engineer, IEMs will cause you more hassle than they're worth.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:03 pm 

Its not really a crazy idea at all. Its actually very simple to set up, and as if6was9 said all you do is take the cable going to the monitor and plug it into your little mixer instead.

Even with a decent onstage monitor mix, it can still be hard to hear things during complicated sections of music, and IEM's can really help in those scenarios.
At least if the onstage sound is terrible somewhere, you can ask the engineer to add more Kick/Bass/Guitars to your IEM mix and make the gig go better for yourself.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:05 pm 

Chooch wrote:
Not every venue will have wedges and if only you have inears the rest of the lads wont know what you're playing.

Extremely good point. It will limit your band to only playing well equipped venues, in itself this is no bad thing but really you're shooting yourself in the foot on a local level.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:31 pm 

to be honest if somewhere doesnt have monitors i wouldnt be that keen on playing in it. Not that I'm a diva, but come on there has to be some standards - I wouldnt show up to a gig with a micro-cube for instance :lol:

As it turns out, I now have a set of in-ears as the other half bought me a set for my birthday, which was nice! I tried them out at rehearsal last night and was very pleased. I fitted a set of molded ear-plugs on to the buds that go in my ears, so I get the benefit of hearing protection and a little isolation as well as being able to act the gobshite with my guitar volume in my personal mix without wrecking it for everyone else.

Because I’m getting that little bit of isolation, I don’t have to crank the in-ears so I’m not risking my hearing. I tried it last night running an XLR out of my board into the transmitter for the IEMs and results were great – I didn’t find myself having to try and pick my guitar out of the mix. (our rehearsal PA is two good quality but smallish tops and has our vocalist and myself going through it. This has to compete with a Bugera halfstack, a MarkBass bass rig and a ridiculously heavy hitting drummer). Because the ear protection that I’m using with it is a noise-filtering pair rather than just dulling the sound, Im not struggling to ear anything and I found that because my guitar had more diction to me, I sounded and therefore played better. Very happy with it altogether. Of course, the proof in the pudding will be going live with this setup, which our upcoming tour will be a good acid-test for. I’ll report back with results.

Page: 1, 2  Next