Back
  In-Ear Monitor Systems

Page: Previous  1, 2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:34 am 

Just thought I'd provide a small update after some field-testing, as it were.

In-ears, i have discovered, are the clane jaab. They work in pretty much every situation. Here's two opposing situations that i discovered they'd cover my back for on our recent run of gigs.

Gig the first – tiny gig in a wee country pub (warmup show for the run of dates), playing through backline with no PA other than for the vocals. The solution – run my in-ears from my board, get my guitar sound from them and get everything else form the backline. I can set my in-ear volume at any level i want so that the mix is roughly the way i like it (so that i can hear a bit of everything, with my guitar loudest). Job done.

Gig the second – playing on a big stage with a big fuck-off PA in a proper venue. Give the in-ears to the soundman, he runs them in the channel he’d use for my wedge and mix it any way I ask so i can have my mix tailored to my needs without it annoying anyone playing beside me. Also gives me additional control with the volume control on my receiver pack. Job done.

What i did was take the bud-style earphones that came with the IEM setup and attach them to a set of diver’s earplugs. This keeps them secure in my ears and also reduces the sound-level of everything else, making what i’m getting through the IEMs more prominent to me and meaning i don’t have to have them at potentially harmful volumes to make them heard. A decent setup can be got for not that much money and if you’re gigging with any kind of regularity and want to make life easy, I’d strongly recommend them to anyone. Great stuff altogether.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:34 pm 

Is there a kind of "safety valve" for them?? Like say you get a really loud pop from something in the mix and it runs through headphones and seriously damages your hearing??

Also, does it make you feel disconnected from the rest of the band having your own sound isolated from everyone elses?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:12 pm 

The safety valve as it were is in place by how much volume the unit itself will put out – they aren’t (and don’t have to be) that insanely loud, because they’re right in your skull, so you have some kind of protection in-built. You can of course encounter problems if the soundman/desk take a shit-fit or there’s a feedback spike. This can happen (and has done to me), but its no more distressing than it is normally. As long as the mixing desk is decent and the engineer knows his stuff, you’ll be grand.

Regarding isolation/disconnection, it does take a little getting used to, but no more than getting used to playing with earplugs in. The ear-plugs that i use with my setup are a db filter rather than completely noise-cancelling, so you get the same kind of sound that you would with a set of ER-20’s in, except your mix of choice sort of sits on top of it.

The only real problem you’ll encounter is if someone else is using the same IEM set as you and they work on the same frequency. If both units are left on they’ll interfere with each other (fnar fnar) and freak out. This happened to me at our gig on Halloween night as the singer from one of the other bands uses the same IEMS as I do and i was left hearing voices in my head until i figured out what the issue was! That said of course, this problem can be rectified by simply turning off the unit that isn’t being used at the time.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:55 pm 

Anyone recommend a decent set-up for a singer/bass player? Looking in the region of 150-200 eur... really not sure if that's a decent range for a good pair.

Any help muchos appreciatos.

Page: Previous  1, 2