Back
  7 string pickup reccommendations/advice

Stupid username I know, cant be arsed changing it now.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:13 pm 

Ok, so I bought a Schecter Omen Extreme 7 recently,
(This one http://www.schecterguitars.com/internat ... -18-detail )

The stock Pups sound grand to me anyway, but maybe in the future I'd think about upgrading them.

I'd keep it passive, Seymour Duncans have a good rep of course, as do Bareknuckles, so what would your advice be?
Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:43 pm 

Way too much choice these days man and you'll get different suggestions from different people. It's also a lot down to your own preferences on tone and what not.

So what do you like, tone-wise?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:21 am 

skadk666 wrote:
So what do you like, tone-wise?

I suppose I like a nice crisp clean tone with depth, that handles distortion/fuzz well and since the Pups on my LP are high output (it's an Epi but I put Gibbos in it I think they are 490T's), I would go with the same type again pretty much.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:49 am 

Well, I havent tried nearly enough pickups to recommend a specific set so I can only really tell you what I have tried and liked.

For Bareknuckle I've tried the Painkiller, Nailbomb and Aftermath. I currently use Aftermaths in my main guitar. And while I love them, some people find them a little heavy on the highs and mids. Personally I think this lends well to high gain amps and allows the guitar to cut through better in a band situation. My favourite out of the other two would be the Nailbomb. Crushing tone but also did very well on cleans!

For SD's I've played a lot but my favorite was the Distortion. Very clear and articulate and definitely a great all round pickup for metal.

Currently also have a Lundgren M8 in my 8 string and that thing is just out of this world. Seriously considering ditching the Aftermath and getting an M7 for my main guitar!

If you decide for Bareknuckle you should shoot them an email, they are very good and suggesting pickups for specific guitars and tones you are after. Just remember they are priced as boutique so you'll pay for them! Hahaha

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:28 pm 

SD are currently offering pickups specifically aimed at extreme metal, namely the Sentient, Nazgul and Black Winter sets. The only ones i've tried myself are the Black Winters, they're a slightly harsher, more cutting (read - less mid, more treble) SH-6 in terms of voicing. Can't vouch for the others but have heard good things about them.

If you're not absolutely stuck on staying passive, Duncan are also offering 7-string versions of the Blackout now, you could stick a set of those in and they'll take just about any other pickup to the cleaners. And for less money than a set of Bare Knuckles (which are fantastic pickups, although not to my taste). As a small aside, don't be too hun up on staying resolutely active or passive, ever. I played EMG and EMG only for 3 years, then switched to passive pickups (using various mixes of Duncans, Kent Armstrongs, etc,) but then went back to actives as I found that the passives just weren't doing it for me when i went down to drop B tuning. To my ears, my tone improved a hundredfold with switching back. Active pickups -> Bigger signal -> Amp (or in my case amp model) being hit harder -> More satan.

Other active option would be a 7-string set of the EMG 57/66set, which sound absoluely terrifying.

Alternately, if you want cheap and cheerful, i believe Iron Gear are now venturing into the 7-string market, both active and passive.

Even more alternately, you could either an EMG Afterburner or SD Blackout Modular Preamp to "activate" your existing pickups. I'm giving very serious consideration to adding the Blackout mod to one of my Jackson King Vs (loaded with Duncan Detonators) As it seems to be a low-cost (circa £60) way to get active pickup tone without having to do a tremendous amount of modification to the guitar. The Blackout preamp is also quite cute as it works off a tone-pot (replacing one of your guitar’s pots) rather than the push-button of the Afterburner. I’d imagine that either of these pre-amp boosts would work better with their respective brand of pickups, but cross-matching could be interesting.

Also consider things like what amp you’re using, your settings, your EQ, and even things like your pickup height. All these can make a big big difference.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:55 pm 

Leather Mike wrote:
Active pickups -> Bigger signal -> Amp being hit harder -> More satan.

Mike, please start your own active pickup company, you can have this as your product tagline! :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:58 pm 

I reckon i'm lost on not being in advertising.

“Do you need pickups that you can commit horrible crimes with? Regular ones just not got enough Satan? Here at Gobshite Electronics, we are committed to bringing you the most hardest bastardest pickups in the history of metal”

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:44 pm 

Good advice lads, also wondering if I were to buy say a DiMarzio or Duncan for the bridge, and keep the neck stock, how would the two balance out? Would I upgrade the pots too?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:09 pm 

A stock neck pickup and a big fuck-off bridge pickup is a very common (and much cheaper) solution mate, so have no fear there. You'll only need to change the pots if you stick an active in to the mix. Let us know what you settle for?

P.s, if you're going dimarzio check out an x2n

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:18 am 

Yeah I might go with that, or a complete set if I can afford them - generally has it been people's experience that a pickup upgrade adds to the guitar's resale value?