Back
  What's in a brand name?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:49 pm 

Chapman guitars being made in a big factory in Korea but check out how many other brands are made in the same place at the same time by the same people :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZhAzVo6mX8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fctC_jrHK8s

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:22 am 

Yep, pretty much everything! I saw a video a couple years ago of the same place, was shocked to see how many brands are made there.

But its great to see actual people working on them and not just guitars rolling off a production line. They may not be the high end luthiers or anything but the guitars coming out of that factory are great for the prices they are sold at.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:37 pm 

I wonder is that the samick factory

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:24 pm 

It is World Musical Instrument Co where the PRS SE range are made

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:27 pm 

skadk666 wrote:
Yep, pretty much everything! I saw a video a couple years ago of the same place, was shocked to see how many brands are made there.

But its great to see actual people working on them and not just guitars rolling off a production line. They may not be the high end luthiers or anything but the guitars coming out of that factory are great for the prices they are sold at.

Yeah, I agree. I had my eyes opened to the quality of them in the last couple of years. My previous experience of Korean stuff in the early 90's wasn't great but the BC Rich I got off Sie and that LTD Mustaine V I got last year both set up, play and sound really, really well, easily on a par with much of the more prestigious MIA and MIJ stuff I've played.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:02 pm 

Korean guitars are very close to Japanese stuff in terms of build quality and attention to detail. A couple of the best guitars I've wee owned come from Korea.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:55 pm 

I've a lovely Korean built Maison Les Paul that's really really nice for the money. Incidentally it has to go now to fund a Japanese SG that I just fell in love with.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:29 pm 

are those masons any use? I hear them being discussed along with the like of Tokai and Burny, what does it play like?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:01 pm 

Plays really well. Anyone who's tried it has been impressed with it. I have an SD 59 in the neck and a GFS Mean 90 in the bridge atm.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:38 pm 

My LTD B1004 is actually korean made, guess the odds are there that it come from that factory. There have been very little bass guitars that I've played on that have felt better than that one.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:30 pm 

What let a lot of Asian made guitars down in the past was sometimes poor quality hardware and electronics. The wood and fret work was largely sound though. Now that they're coming with SDs or EMGs and the likes and Tonepros, Sperzel, Grover, Gotoh hardware, there's very little to complain about.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:52 pm 

moose wrote:
Plays really well. Anyone who's tried it has been impressed with it. I have an SD 59 in the neck and a GFS Mean 90 in the bridge atm.

If your selling the guitar anyway fire me a pm if you would sell the mean 90 separately Moose

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:28 pm 

Paddy SwordChant wrote:
moose wrote:

If your selling the guitar anyway fire me a pm if you would sell the mean 90 separately Moose

Kept that pickup but gonna put it in something else along with an Iron Gear Alchemist 90 I forgot I had. Just need the guitar for them.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:12 pm 

Played a PRS SE Custom 24 a couple days ago that came from this very factory. Really nice piece of wood indeed, so well made. Pretty much on a par with my Japanese guitars.