Back
  running 2 amps of a stereo fx pedal

Page: 1, 2  Next

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:23 pm 

is it possible split the guitar signal from something like a boss dd7, or digitech digiverb ( ie a pedal with stereo output ) to two separate guitar amps? and will it function even if the pedal is off?

my signal flow would be something like this, guitar - hm2- dd7 - stereo out into two seperate amps/stacks

so even if the dd7 is off, will the hm2 blast through the separate two stacks?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:37 pm 

i'm pretty sure you need a dedicated A/B/Y Splitter to do this. Get in contact with big Paul from By Any Means, he runs in Stereo and will keep you right. Gerry from RBOTN does something similar i believe. at a poorly educated guess, i'd say you'd just fire the splitter into your signal chain between the last pedal and the amp.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:41 pm 

cheers mike

any idea what function the stereo out of the delay pedal serves then?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:42 pm 

i've no idea, to be honest. it may well be that a stereo out on any pedal can be used as a splitter, for all i know! out of interest what amps would you be running it to?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:50 pm 

Leather Mike wrote:
i've no idea, to be honest. it may well be that a stereo out on any pedal can be used as a splitter, for all i know! out of interest what amps would you be running it to?

2 solid states crates, or what I really want to do is use a bass cab and guitar cab run of two different amps to get a big fuck off sound. normally when I play live I can be using whatever the promoter provides could be abroad or whatever. Anyway I've used a/b/y switch before and yeah that will work, but maybe the delay pedal will work too. cant really see any other reason for a stereo out

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:51 pm 

Steve Maher wrote:
cheers mike
any idea what function the stereo out of the delay pedal serves then?

The stereo output of the dd7 allows for several different uses.
If using A input and A/B output, it allows for panning delay between the 2 amps.
If using B input and A/B output, A output gets the effect sound and B output gets the original sound.
If using A input and B output you get a long delay.
And if using A/B input and A/B output, you get stereo delay.

This is straight from the DD7 manual by the way.

:Edit: the manual is downloadable from the Roland US site. Just search google for 'Boss DD7 manual', should be the 1st link returned.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:59 pm 

cheers spoderman

"if using A input and A/B output, it allows for panning delay between the 2 amp"

I wonder if this will pan the signal even if the pedal is switched off?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:26 pm 

I've not tried that particular delay but most stereo pedals will work for two amps when you have the effect off, Boss tuners will also do it. They may be unacceptable to ground loop hum in which case you'd need a splitter with an isolated out. That said the buffering in the Boss pedal will make it better than most passive aby pedals.

I'd try the stereo pedal first as more than likely it'll do the job perfectly. If it's noisey I can build you a nice active/isolated splitter for very reasonable money.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:29 pm 

pmd you :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:38 pm 

Steve Maher wrote:
cheers spoderman

"if using A input and A/B output, it allows for panning delay between the 2 amp"

No idea. I'd offer to give it a try but I've only the one amp.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:47 pm 

spoderman01 wrote:
Steve Maher wrote:
cheers spoderman

No idea. I'd offer to give it a try but I've only the one amp.

It does pan the signal when the pedal is off.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:00 pm 

Gerry from Rabid Bitch runs two cabs in stereo out of a modelling rig, not two amps.

Ross from War Iron/Fuckhammer sometimes splits his guitar signal and runs one to a guitar amp and another to a bass amp. That's a dedicated pedal for that, I believe.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:31 pm 

DaveG wrote:

Ross from War Iron/Fuckhammer sometimes splits his guitar signal and runs one to a guitar amp and another to a bass amp. That's a dedicated pedal for that, I believe.

yeah thats what I want to do, didnt know they did that too

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:43 pm 

Just had a quick look at my own setup inside...after I brushed the dust off of it....

Looks like you can do similar with the RV5 reverb pedal, BF3 flanger and CE5 chorus pedal. The AC2 acoustic sim also has a separate output for running an acoustic amp if you were that way inclined. There may be others but they're the only ones I have with multiple outputs.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:50 pm 

spoderman01 wrote:
Just had a quick look at my own setup inside...after I brushed the dust off of it....

Looks like you can do similar with the RV5 reverb pedal, BF3 flanger and CE5 chorus pedal. The AC2 acoustic sim also has a separate output for running an acoustic amp if you were that way inclined. There may be others but they're the only ones I have with multiple outputs.

so its probably true for any stereo output foot pedal. cool, glad this thread inspired you to dust off and play with your gear :)

Page: 1, 2  Next