Back
  What Power Supply?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:34 pm 

Greetings.

So, Ive got quite a few effects on my board. Eight to be exact.

I'm looking for a decent power supply for them. Ideally I would blow my cash on a voodoo labs or Dunlop/Mosky unit, but I dont have that kind of dough lying about.

Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:33 pm 

I'm using one of these yokes. Cheap and I've no complaints with it.

http://www.thomann.de/ie/harley_benton_powerplant.htm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:48 am 

Any advantages to these over the daisy chain power supplies? I have a daisy chain powering 10+ pedals and seems to work ok but I've always wondered about the more blocky ones and what they bring to the table...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:56 am 

I believe the the block type power supplies are made to handle a lot more units. More consistent supply of power, cleaner power, means everything works as it should and there will be no affect to you tone.

Could be way off on that though!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:14 pm 

If your pedals are working fine with just a daisy chain then you're sorted. Some pedals need isolated power (essentially their own supply) so the blocks with isolated outs are great there. The Power Plant linked above isn't isolated power so really not much difference between it and a daisy chain. The PP Jnr is isolated so I'd usually recommend that if you need iso power and don't need the 12V. If you need to switch between 230 and 110V for the US etc then Trex Fuel Tank Jnr or Chameleon would be my choices.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:25 am 

Cheers lads.

like I said before, if money wasn't an issue I'd go for a Voodoo labs or a Trex like Moose had suggested. Sadly that isn't the case

I dont really need an isolated power supply after reading about what that actually means; and managed to get one of these off eBay for £30 after doing a little research.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ARTEC-CPB-12-PO ... B0053CNRXC

Hopefully it'll do the job. The only real pedal I use that sucks a lot of juice is the digitech bass synth, All the others are pretty tame in comparison.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:08 am 

The Harley Benton jnr seems to be getting a lot if good reviews lately, a few guys I know have them and they work well. Only issue is if you have something with a big draw. Perfect for a smaller board.

The Mooer Micropower also has been getting rave reviews. I know a few guys running big boards with them with no issues at all. They can be had for around 55euro on aliexpress.

I use the Diago Powerstation. I tried a bunch of different supplies when I wanted to upgrade and this was the one that had my pedals running at their quietest. It powers a crazy number of pedals. I've ran 20 pedals off it without issue and apparently it can run 30+.

Noise can be bad with the daisy chain style off one supply. Depends heavily on the power so sometimes you won't have an issue till you get to a venue with shitty power. Its generally recommended that you use one with isolated outs so they don't interfere with each other.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:31 pm 

if6was9 wrote:
Noise can be bad with the daisy chain style off one supply. Depends heavily on the power so sometimes you won't have an issue till you get to a venue with shitty power. Its generally recommended that you use one with isolated outs so they don't interfere with each other.

Can't say I've ever noticed a problem with the daisy chain but then again, it's only ever had home use.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:30 pm 

if6was9 wrote:

I use the Diago Powerstation. I tried a bunch of different supplies when I wanted to upgrade and this was the one that had my pedals running at their quietest. It powers a crazy number of pedals. I've ran 20 pedals off it without issue and apparently it can run 30+.

Use the Diago too and I love it. It's seriously quiet for me and provides very clean power to the pedals. Simple and super reliable.