Back
  What Power Amp?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:08 pm 

Looking a new power amp to twin with my X3L.

Not looking for anything rackmounted if possible, as i wouldn't be arsed - otherwise I'd go with a Rocktron and have done with it. looking something small but with enough juice to get the job done - had tried the .22 caliber and .44 magnum poweramp pedals but dont like the way they naturally overdrive when cranked - need something with decent headroom that won't break up when i give it some.

Basically the idea is to get something physically smaller than the amp heads i've been using as poweramps that's easier to carry around as it irks me greatly having to lug a big fuck-off head around when all my actual equipment is in a pedal-board :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:59 pm 

Spotted this on Thomann a while ago - ISP Stealth power amp:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/isp_technologi ... _pedal.htm

Might be worth looking into.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:43 pm 

spotted that myself a wee while back. it's really tempting cuz its so tiny but its pricey.

that said, ISP gear is fearsome so if i manage to flog some of the gear im trying to shift it could be a solid shot. cheers!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:29 pm 

It may be well off the register but those wee Crate Power Blocks have a line in direct to the power section and will put a decent shunt into a 4x12. Been looking into this myself for ages now and am more and more tempted with a decent powered monitor with all signals fed into front of house.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:05 am 

That ISP Stealth is an interesting piece of kit. Having something like that to use as required with something like an Engl Ironball when 20W isn't enough is an interesting idea. Convenience is everything these days, my back just isn't up to lugging full size heads around anymore :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:01 am 

Jesus Christ lads.....gear size is everything don'tcha know...some of us have to compensate for other departments.... :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:07 am 

:lol: get a look at an Eden Time-Traveller or a MarkBass Little Mark so!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:13 am 

That'll do nicely.....

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 3:03 am 

Anyone tried one of these Harley Benton poweramps? Loads of power and some useful features. I'd love to stick one in a rack with my peavey rockmaster preamp if they don't colour the sound too much.

http://www.thomann.de/ie/harley_benton_gpa_400.htm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:12 pm 

if6was9 wrote:
Anyone tried one of these Harley Benton poweramps? Loads of power and some useful features. I'd love to stick one in a rack with my peavey rockmaster preamp if they don't colour the sound too much.

http://www.thomann.de/ie/harley_benton_gpa_400.htm

Was about to make a thread about these. Have two Amt pre amp pedals, and looking at a power amp to use em. Those Harley Bentons worth punt, or better off keeping eye on Adverts 2nd hand valve one? Also, never had or set up anything like this before. So left and right outputs for mono/stereo. Do both need to be used? Like, if you've one cab, with one jack input, would that damage the power amp, since only be using one side?

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:10 pm 

it wont damage the power amp at all, only using one side of it is fine. alternate options until you get a power amp are that running the output of the AMT into the FX Return of any guitar amp head will do the job

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:20 pm 

I guess I'm a gluten for punishment but I've dropped the SS power amp and using the power amp in my old Sound City head. SS pre into six El34s is heaven for me. Would love a nice light weight power amp but not heard anything that's taken my fancy yet.