Back
  ESP vs Edwards?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:50 pm 

Basically, what’s the difference? I was browsing ESP Japan and noticed the difference between the ESP and Edwards models of the guitar I was looking at (Alexi Laiho’s “Katakana” model) was significant – with the Edwards being something like a ¼ of the price of the full-blooded ESP.

I know a couple of the heads on here use Edwards guitars, what are the real differences other than the name on the headstock? Would it be similar to the difference between a high-end LTD and an ESP? If that’s the case its cool as i recently picked up a decent LTD and it’s a really, really nice guitar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:16 pm 

If the Edwards is only a quarter the price I reckon you can't go wrong. I'm sure Juggz has some experience of them but that price difference is far more than I'd have expected.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:25 pm 

Leather Mike wrote:
Would it be similar to the difference between a high-end LTD and an ESP?

As far as I know you've hit the nail on the head there.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:31 pm 

cool, because i picked up an LTD Truckster (one of the good ones) there and it's spectacular. Ifan Edwards would be comparable to that, I'm laughing.

The Edwards Katakana is by no means cheap - it clocks in at around a grand - but it's glorious. Not that i'll be buying one at any time in the near future either way, more for future reference just

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:26 pm 

Edwards are very nice but in no way comparable to a "real" ESP. There's a lot of shite talk about them, usually in For Sale ads, and they're perfectly decent, they use good, branded hardware, well put together, but... yeah, what has been said covers it. I'd rate the build quality of the Korean LTD DV8-R a little higher than the Edwards V I have, to be honest. I still probably prefer the Edwards, but that's more the vibe of the guitar than the nuts and bolts.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:06 am 

any tips on reliable places to buy Edwards?

their LPs have caught my attention and just curious about anyone's experience with sites or shipping from Japanese sites

rakuten?

cheers.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:15 am 

Second hand from Ishibashi is the way to go. Te ordering process is a little clunky, you have to send them an email, they reply with a link to order, but anything I've bought from Ishi has been in my hands within a week. The site is updated daily, you just need to be patient and ready to strike when one you want shows up, but they do get a lot of them passing through.

http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/u_box/e/

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:14 pm 

thanks for that!

will check it out and let yis know how i get on.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:37 am 

I've owned both the LTD Alexi 600 and the Edwards Alexi Scythe as well as an ESP SV and I have to say that the Edwards was VERY similar to the LTD (except the body shape which I'm sure you know is different for the American/EU market). My LTD was the first run of Alexi Sigs so the hardware was the same as the Edwards.

I found the Edwards to be a good bit closer to the ESP than the LTD was and it was a nicer guitar to play and look at too. I think the Edwards are a step up from the LTD sigs, even if only a slight bit. I'd think of them like being an LTD-1200 series if that existed. The real ESP alexi models also have Standard and Custom models. The latter being what the artist actually uses and is no way near worth the price tag on them (4K plus for an artist sig is insane!)

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:14 pm 

That website is class. Would kill for this: http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/u_box/e/sele ... -315883409

Works out at over 2 grand though :(