Back
  Best Practice Position?

Page: Previous  1, 2

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:29 am 

Millsy_kobi wrote:
I used to practice in the 'normal' position. Shifted to classical when I started getting some ulnar nerve issues. Not looked back since.

Agree with whoever said set your strap height so that your guitar/bass doesn't move anywhere from when you sit down to when you stand up. Don't really understand the obsession with a low slung guitar or bass. Put it where you can play it best and impress people with your ability on the instrument rather then how 'cool' you look.

http://www.musicradar.com/tuition/guitars/how-high-should-i-wear-my-guitar-522505

Glenn Tipton..high position but looks as cool as fook too!!

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 4:24 pm 

Millsy_kobi wrote:
Don't really understand the obsession with a low slung guitar or bass. Put it where you can play it best and impress people with your ability on the instrument rather then how 'cool' you look.

me thinks this be the answer, either consciously or unconsciously

only recently started playing after a 10year break and went silly and bought a rhoads (mid life crisis or summat), love the classical position.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:21 am 

people often cite hetfield as the reason or having their guitar extra-low, thing is though he's 6'3" with unusually long arms and plays almost in a half-crouch - his hand right naturally lies just about at the low E with the guitar in that poistion. If you're 5'5" you havent a hopr in hell of a guitar slung that low being comfortable - as a younger me found to his cost. The most important thing is that your playing position is comfortable

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:35 am 

He's also responsible for the EX-350 sitting here in the corner that I haven't played in about 2 years.....bastard.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:39 am 

:lol: i've had about a half dozen explorers of various shades through my hands over the years for that exact reason. seems it takes me about 18months to go "y'know what, they're not that big, i could totally get away with one" then i get it and 3 weeks later go "this thing is fucking monstrous, away with ye!"

Had a kerry king v (the good one with the proper EMGs and Kahler) , a couple of Dean ML's and a Razorback go the way of all things for the same reason!

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:17 pm 

I'm Hetfields height..and have tried the guitar low (although not as low as that) and can reach the strings fine but then I cant see the fookin fretboard!! I guess if you have the expertise and always know what you're current fretting position is then you're sorted....for an amateur (aka shite player) like me its always a trade off...

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:05 pm 

Yep. Hetfield was the reason that I bought an explorer (couldn't afford an EX, grew out of my obsession with his style by the time I could) and why I used a long strap to hang it low. I'm about 5'7 so I probably looked like a right spa.

Page: Previous  1, 2