Back
  What humbuckers would you recommend?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:43 pm 

I recently acquired an ltd deluxe les paul ec 1000.
This guitar is fitted with EMG 81/60 pickups.
I don't like the tone I'm getting from them and I would prefer to change to a set of passive humbuckers.

What would you guys recommend?

I tune to A-standard so the pickup would have to work well with low end.
I'm playing doom/metal therefore I'm looking for a heavy sound.

I would be grateful for any advice/opinions.

Cheers, Ross.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:02 pm 

I have two guitars tuned down at the moment, one with Gibson Iommi pickups and one with a Seymour Duncan JB. They're both worth a look, I'd say - with the JB being possibly the finest humbucker ever made, in my opinion, in terms of being able to do everything well. The JB has a lot more mid range bite than the Iommi, but it still handles the low stuff with ease. The Iommi sounds like a lower output pickup than it is. It's got a smoothness to it, but it's not all low end mush, it has good definition. They both do a good job, currently tuned to A standard.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:02 am 

i can second the JB, i run an RR5 in drop B/B Standard with a pair of JBs and it sounds mighty.

Sticking with Seymour Duncan, the SH-13 Dimebucker is in my opinion the best passive pickup ever made. Stunning clarity and weight even at the stupidest levels of gain and a lot warmer and more versatile than one might think. Put one of those in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck of a Les Paul shape guitar and you're set.

Big Ian Booth used a Les Paul loaded with an Alternative 8/Jazz set to devastating effect in Stand Up Guy as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:23 pm 

Leather Mike wrote:
Sticking with Seymour Duncan, the SH-13 Dimebucker is in my opinion the best passive pickup ever made.

Lovely pickup.. Have one in my Frankenbastard Ibanez (went with bladed pickup so I didn't have to worry about pole spacing if I changed the bridge or did any fucking around) and I must say, it's a beauty..

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:40 pm 

I had one in the bridge of an old Korean Les Paul and have still to this day never heard a passive pickup that could match it

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:54 am 

Cheers for the recommendations guys.

I think I'm going to go for a SD 59 in the neck and a gibson burstbucker 3 or 500T in the bridge. :D