Back
  Wah question

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:58 am 

Just out of curiosity really.

Just wondering for guitarist who tune low (C or lower), or use one of those 7 or 8 string guitars specifically here - anyone ever tried a Bass wah pedal on guitar instead of a normal wah? Given the lower tuning and frequency range would it be more suitable or does it just sound muddy?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:10 pm 

I used a regular Crybaby tuned to B and dropped A, never had a problem. The frequency sweep was still well within the guitar's range, even playing the lowest notes. Most bass wahs I've heard sound crap, the frequency sweep is still across higher frequencies, just sounds off to me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:22 pm 

same as Juggzo, i've used both real and modelled standard wah's tuned to drop B/ B standard without any issue. Tried a bass wah once and it just sounded like evil wind :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:02 pm 

As I say, I'm just curious. Not a huge fan of wah's in general, the only one I ever owned ( a Morley one) was crap. I may need to get one for something a little further down the line and was just wondering if there was much difference..cheers for the replies.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:41 pm 

pentagrimes wrote:
As I say, I'm just curious. Not a huge fan of wah's in general, the only one I ever owned ( a Morley one) was crap. I may need to get one for something a little further down the line and was just wondering if there was much difference..cheers for the replies.

There aren't many differences between bass and guitar wahs, I'm sure moose could put a switch on one for you.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:41 pm 

Stephen BroMalley wrote:
pentagrimes wrote:

There aren't many differences between bass and guitar wahs, I'm sure moose could put a switch on one for you.

Mostly one component difference in them which is why the bass wahs don't sound so good. If you pick up a crybaby I can customize it to your needs. As an example Hooly and Niallo use my wahs in C and C# among other tunings. Can ad pots and shit to em adjustable too.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:55 am 

Zombie thread resurrection...

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good wah for doom/stoner tones?

I was looking at the Jerry Cantrell CryBaby earlier but at €200 I'm thinking that I might buy a standard CryBaby maybe ask Moose to tweak it and get what I want. Shop local and all that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:13 pm 

StoutAndAle wrote:
Zombie thread resurrection...

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good wah for doom/stoner tones?

I was looking at the Jerry Cantrell CryBaby earlier but at €200 I'm thinking that I might buy a standard CryBaby maybe ask Moose to tweak it and get what I want. Shop local and all that.

You could do worse than look into the Boss Power Wah

https://www.boss.info/us/products/pw-10/

The Mo-Wah has a kinda Cantrell AIC sound to it and the Booster might suit more stoner stuff. Picked mine up for €90 on Adverts. There's demos on that link anyway if you wanted to check it out.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:35 pm 

spoderman01 wrote:

You could do worse than look into the Boss Power Wah

https://www.boss.info/us/products/pw-10/

The Mo-Wah has a kinda Cantrell AIC sound to it and the Booster might suit more stoner stuff. Picked mine up for €90 on Adverts. There's demos on that link anyway if you wanted to check it out.

Cheers for that, man. I'll take a look. Kinda hard to try anything out down here in Cork though. The one guitar shop in the city centre can be painful to deal with.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:12 pm 

Regarding the Jerry Cantrell way, i recently got one and while it is a bit dear, compared to the standard crybaby i had for 13 years beforehand it sounds so much better. It's very full and round sounding, whereas the standard crybaby was very brittle and harsh sounding to the point that i almost never used it. I'm really glad i got it because i love wah but the crybaby just sounded horrible and really put me off. Really recommend it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:04 pm 

If ya pick up a regular crybaby second hand I can mod it to Cantrell specs for a nominal fee.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:54 pm 

cunningstunt1987 wrote:
Regarding the Jerry Cantrell wah...... Really recommend it.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

moose wrote:
If ya pick up a regular crybaby second hand I can mod it to Cantrell specs for a nominal fee.

Thanks, man. Yeah, I'm on the hunt for a few bits at the minute mainly a Battlehammer/Sundrive or the combi unit and a nice wah.

So I might do the whole thing in one go.

Now if only cash would fall from the sky...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:14 pm 

StoutAndAle wrote:
cunningstunt1987 wrote:
Regarding the Jerry Cantrell wah...... Really recommend it.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

moose wrote:

Thanks, man. Yeah, I'm on the hunt for a few bits at the minute mainly a Battlehammer/Sundrive or the combi unit and a nice wah.

So I might do the whole thing in one go.

Now if only cash would fall from the sky...

If you hear of any let me know.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:26 pm 

Heh, with my luck it'd be only coins.

Copper ones.

From Russia.

I'll be onto you about all those pedals in the near future.