Back
  Advice for Newbie Guitar Buyer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:49 pm 

Heya, I'm looking to buy my first "real" guitar. I've been playing a cheap one now for about a year and it's on its legs. My budget is around €350. I was going for something like a Jackson King V /Kelly or perhaps an LTD. Any recommendations, tips, experiences etc. would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:56 pm 

I would strongly recommend this. I have one and it's a really, really nice guitar, well worth the money. Yer man hasn't had done any business and he's had it up for months, so there might be some haggle room.

https://www.donedeal.ie/guitars-for-sal ... ig/9753603

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:06 pm 

Can't really argue with that suggestion!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:44 am 

Are you looking to buy new or 2nd hand? If new go to thomann.de
2nd hand as mentioned above check out donedeal or adverts.ie. Just don't be that guy that offers €300 for a €1000 guitar :lol: .

If it's a V you're looking for our resident expert Leather Mike will probably point you in the right direction, but the one Juggz suggested above looks like it'd probably fit the bill.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:17 am 

Kellys I cant comment on as I've never owned one, but I've had more V's than most through my grubby mitts over the years, with the probable exception of Juggz. The LTD V suggested he suggested is a hell of a guitar, that's an awful lot of instrument for that money. one thing to bear in mind about the LTDs is they're a little bigger than a Jackson V so if you're on the small side that's worth taking in to account - I'm about 5'6" and found it a little unwieldy. But if you're normal-human sized you'll be grand.

Also check out a Jackson KVXT - neck-through King V that comes in around your budget. If you're going second hand, look for a Japanese Jackson KVX10 - I own two of them from the late 90's with upgraded pickups (one with EMGs, one with active Duncans) and they're fucking amazing. Between them they’ve retired guitars three or four times as expensive. I may even be talked into parting with one of them if you catch me on a good day as I’m mostly playing a Rhoads at the minute.

The thing with Jackson and LTD nowadays is that even their entry level models are genuinely good guitars – a 2014 or 2015 JS32 Series King V will run you about 300 Euro at most and they're not that far away from their bigger brothers. You could get one of those, replace hardware and pickups, and have a very, very good budget guitar indeed. Obviously, you'll get more bang for your buck going second-hand though, and if you get a good second-hand guitar it should hold decent resale value if you ever decide to sell it on.

BC Rich make some nice V's too, their JRV series are nice. Though as with the LTD V, they're fairly big.

I think the Juggulator pretty much nailed it suggesting that LTD, but if you’re set on a brand new Jackson, give very serious consideration to a KVXT. Their build quality really can’t be overstated and a neck-through king v with branded pickups and hardware for that price really can’t be ignored.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:36 am 

There is a pretty nice Kelly for sale in John Palmers in Waterford if your around that area. Not sure of the price or the model and has graphics on it so that may not be your thing. Just said I would mention it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:50 pm 

Thanks for all the tips lads. Buying second hand guitars kinda worries me but it's obviously the best way to get value for money. That LTD V is very attractive. If it's still going by the time I have the money up I'll definitely have a look at it.