Back
  Gold-Plated Hardware

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:57 pm 

Is a BASTARD to keep clean. Is there anytign i can do to stop or at least lessen how badly it marks up from fingermarks etc? I know the eventual pitting/corrosion is inevitable, and when that starts in earnest i'll switch the whole lot for black, but i'd rather not do that before its absolutely necessary.

On that note, if anyone is selling a set of black hardware for a Jackson RR5, let me know

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:02 pm 

I think the only thing you can do is clean it regularly. I have/had gold hardware on my EC. Its clearly not gold anymore, has faded to almost silver. But I clean it quite often and especially after I have been playing it and the corrosion and pitting isn't as bad as it could be.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:22 am 

I stopped trying. It's not worth the effort, to be honest, you can't put off the inevitable. Gold is just a bastard to maintain. It helps that I don't actually mind if a guitar is slightly battered looking, once it's not covered in gunk. Guitars and personal hygiene issues are a very different matter :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:24 pm 

Gold doesn't corrode.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:09 pm 

This is not real gold, for sure. This is just whatever standard metals they use in the hardware then covered in a gold colour, which fades and sometimes corrodes.

Does any company use real gold for hardware? Even gold plating would be really fucking expensive I'd thought.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:45 pm 

Yep. Gonna cost you though. Gonna cost you real big

https://ritter-instruments.com/instruments.php