Back
  Synthesisers

Page: 1, 2  Next

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:12 pm 

Hopefully there's probably a couple of ye who can help me out. I already have a MicroKorg, which is great and I'll be hanging on to but I'm thinking about getting something else.

I'm looking for something that'll give me sounds with the "oomph" of a distorted guitar without actually using a guitar. I'd be using some patches on the Microkorg and Korg Triton for melodic passages so it's a replacement for heavy chords more than anything I'm looking at.

Not looking to spend Moog kinda money though. I was looking at the Minilogue but is there other stuff I should be looking at, Roland, Novation etc.

It's for heavy stuff, so synths geared towards drum and bass etc is not what I'm after.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:47 pm 

imo the minilogue works best at a type of weird, clean-ish, I suppose Moog-ish classic synth lead sound, as well as some really nice deep ambient pads,the ability to tweak and save so many patches, I only bother with a handfull of the pre-sets,its fairly intuitive to finding sounds. Has its drawbacks though,can never seem to find a satisfying bass sound with it and tbh it wouldnt really be the first thing id think of to add "oomph", sonically speaking i tend to find I use the minilogue and microkorg to fill out more mid range, then use an ms-20 mini and sometimes a (borrowed)micro brute to cover the lows and highs.

Next synth i buy is def gonna be a proper moog, lotto gods willing, pretty sure thats the sound im after and im just buying cheaper stuff and putting it through enough pedals that it hopefully approximates that sound

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:52 pm 

The Arturia Mini and Microbrutes maybe? Lots of parameters on them both that can be overdriven to get some really metallic sounds. (The Triangle wave modifier is even called the Metalizer)

The Minibrute has both Midi i/o as well as several CV parameters. Which is dead handy for controlling a number of other bits of gear.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:04 am 

I'd be aiming to use a few patches that I can recall whenever so saving patches is a must. I don't want to be trying to recreate sounds that I've made down the line and not have easy access to it. Can that be done with the Arturias?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:28 am 

It's a little more old school with the both Arturia units. Signal path on both Mini and Micro units is 100% analog (I think), so the only way to 'record' a patch is to use one of the supplied overlays and a pen.

They're both great little units though, and very affordable. Pop up quite a bit on adverts.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:26 pm 

Ya, there's a couple going for €250. Using those sheets to make note of sounds is very old school haha

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:06 pm 

Should be able to get the micro for €200 ish.

For storing presets I'm pretty sure the Minilogue is gonna be the cheapest, the Moog Little Phatty is amazing and has ability to save patches and that. We'd generally have a preset for each tune for rocket stuff.

I modded a Korg Polysix for a mate last week, such an amazing sounding synth. Would love one of them as well as a Moog haha..

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:37 pm 

Been working on some synthwave stuff last few weeks and found the polysix vst blissful to work with. Tempted to get a hold of one.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:09 pm 

I would love to get into some of this stuff. I wouldn't know where to start but I'd love to collaborate with someone depending on the style as I can sing like a motherfucker. I really love Gunship, Timecop 1983, stuff like that. I used to sing in a band locally here called Scavenger but I've sang everything from Guns November Roses to Erasure to Morbid Angel...I'm versatile as hell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:09 am 

Thanks for the advice lads. That points me in the right direction, I think.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:20 pm 

I'm gonna echo the Moog recommendations, although the Arturia stuff looks great as well. I picked up a Moog Sub Phatty on a whim about a month ago and couldn't be happier! It's a beast, lots of low end and very aggressive too if needs be.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:23 pm 

moose wrote:
Moog Little Phatty is amazing and has ability to save patches and that. We'd generally have a preset for each tune for rocket stuff.

Is Rocket your band Moose? Any music online if so?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:06 pm 

Paddy SwordChant wrote:
moose wrote:
Moog Little Phatty is amazing and has ability to save patches and that. We'd generally have a preset for each tune for rocket stuff.

Is Rocket your band Moose? Any music online if so?

I shortened from Wild Rocket and here's our last album. New one almost finished has the Little Fatty again plus some MS20 on the guitars which works great.

https://wildrocket.bandcamp.com/album/g ... ucinations

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:07 pm 

Pretty interesting stuff Moose, cheers for posting the link. I'll have to keep an eye out for the next release!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:56 pm 

More teasing from Behringer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_KYEts ... ture=share

Page: 1, 2  Next