Back
  HiFi Speaker restoration/repair

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:01 pm 

I have a set of Revolver 250 speakers that have just come out of the attic after a good few years of non use. I remember blowing the shit out of one of the drivers years back and they went into storage. A 6.5" bass woofer and a 1" dome tweeter per speaker. Both 8 ohms.

After opening them up at the weekend I decided I'd like to get them going again. I'm hoping someone here might have some knowledge they would like to share as I'm totally bamboozled after looking at a bunch of diy audio sites.

I have 2 amp choices to use.

A Sony TA-FE370 which from what I can gather is pretty entry level. I used it with these speakers originally and it was grand. It has a single set of speaker outputs so I believe I would have to bi-wire the speakers to use this setup

A Denon DN-A100 amp with 2 pairs of speaker outputs. This amp was designed for use in pubs, av installs etc that I picked up along the way and never used but I know its operational. I'm assuming I could run separate lines to each speaker in my setup from this amp.

I'm wondering should I replace like for like in the speakers if possible, or what should I be looking out for here.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:01 pm 

After lots of researching and spending a ton of time on here looking for parts http://www.conrad.com/ce/en/category/SHOP_AREA_22500/Speaker-Chassis
I ended up buying a pair of these speakers instead after reading a ton of great reviews. https://www.whathifi.com/wharfedale/diamond-91/review And paired them with the Denon amp I have. The amp has 2 sets of speaker terminals as have the speakers. I didn't bother, I just ran a pair of wires to each speaker.

I'm pretty pleased with the results. Its still a low budget setup but night and day ahead of what I was using.

I ended up connecting my old Pioneer turntable to it, which was another hilarious repair job.