Back
  Grandmeister 40

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:04 pm 

Came across this the other day and it looks awesome. Like someone invented a box of good ideas. Not in the market for new gear but if €1100 fell into my hands, I think I know what I'd be buying.

http://hughes-and-kettner.com/products/ ... deluxe-40/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:30 pm 

that is gorgeous and clever, a winning combo!

my only concern is people who believe(d) the "play at home" may equate to "play in bedroom"

I have the tubmeister 18 and it is crushing on the 1 watt powersoak and i barely have the master engaged.

ripper.

great company. and such a nice shade of blue, even the gf likes it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:10 pm 

That looks very good, though that many features actually intimidate me :lol:

I generally prefer much simpler controls, but you can't fault that, they seem to have thought of everything. I'm looking forward to giving the vids a listen later, hope it sounds as good as it seems to be.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:52 pm 

There's a great vid of Devin Townsend using it but what's cool is that he's coming at it pretty much from scratch with one of H&K's guys to guide him so it's not like he's had hours of use on it prior to making the vid. And to see a guy who's prob seen and used a whole world of top notch gear so taken with this is somewhat impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESQBEI4lgRw

Just thought that the re-usable dial controls, the powersoak and the ipad app were simple but brilliant ideas. I'd love to get my hands on this for a while.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:33 pm 

p.s. My price was slightly out, it's actually €1199 + another €166 for the foot board.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:14 pm 

spoderman01 wrote:
Not in the market for new gear

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:28 am 

Emphyrio wrote:
spoderman01 wrote:
Not in the market for new gear

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You saw through that then?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:55 pm 

Was watching this video the other day, looks like a great piece of gear, would love to get it but just can't afford something like that right now. Any idea how their smaller amps sound? I was looking at the 18 and 20 on thomann last night out of curiosity.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:17 am 

ochoill wrote:
Was watching this video the other day, looks like a great piece of gear, would love to get it but just can't afford something like that right now. Any idea how their smaller amps sound? I was looking at the 18 and 20 on thomann last night out of curiosity.

Mongreled above owns the 18 so you could hit him up for a quick review, I guess. Had a quick look at some of the cheaper options and you do lose some of the nifty features which is to be expected.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:26 pm 

Tubmeister 18:

sharp and crisp in the crunch delivery department. real sense of drive and scale. very flexible from metal zone fizz to stoner tones.

very easy to get a usable tone of her. push the lead boost and let rip

again the volume i mentioned was not an issue in the first house i had her in, lots of cushioning, but the current room in far less forgiving. Tis a brittle room. boo. was contemplating getting a harley benton 2x12 just to let my little box fill the room with a tad more warmth. but the gf might just have a heart attack.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:00 pm 

Sound for the rundown, nice to know that they're fairly flexible. Other guitarist is using a small Traynor head (15w I think) and an orange 1x12 cab, looking for something of similar size and considering maybe the 20w version of what you have. Would be rightly able to push it too, would be used jamming with a band and live.
spoderman01 wrote:
Mongreled above owns the 18 so you could hit him up for a quick review, I guess. Had a quick look at some of the cheaper options and you do lose some of the nifty features which is to be expected.

Would be nice to retain some of the features but don't need them too much right now. I see the smaller ones still have the power soak and DI out on it, which is pretty useful. That devy video rundown of the 40 is great though, really shows its versatility. Even to get some tones close to that from the small one would be grand for now.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:36 am 

This is becoming a problem...I'm walking around the house looking at stuff thinking "if I sold that....and that...and one of those...I could definitely afford it almost".

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:40 pm 

:lol: We've all been there

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:54 pm 

It's tricky though as I also want the Mooer Ocean Machine when it finally comes out next month. Not made of money :lol: Might have to brush down the remainders of the CD collection and see if I can raise a few quid that way.