Back
  Anyone have experience with ordering from AliExpress etc?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:48 pm 

As above, anyone have any experience with ordering from China? Dying to get my hands on a Rickenbacker 480/481 style guitar, but not a fan of Rics themselves.

There's a bloke on AliExpress selling copies that look solid enough, but I'd only really want the body and neck. I can customise everything myself, but I'm no carpenter so need to be certain enough that it'd hold up ok structurally.

How is the finish quality on these guitars? Fretwork, truss rod etc? If it's touch and go, I might just leave it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:54 pm 

They're all very hit and miss. One person would get a very functional guitar, another would get a pile of firewood. There's no real way to tell how a guitar is until its in your hands really. I've heard success and horror stories!

As for the buying and ordering itself, I've ordered a few small items, nothing over 50 quid, and never had an issue with the transaction or shipping etc.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:02 pm 

i found this entertaining and informative!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGqVLtdGeLc

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:07 am 

Same as skadk666. Only ever ordered small stuff but never had any problems.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:36 pm 

It is a gamble plain and simple. I have had many chinese copies come to me for setup and repair over the years, some are outstanding and others are manufactured so poorly no amount of setting up will fix them. You pays your money and takes your chances....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:55 pm 

I've only bought pedal components but had stupid stuff like knobs that tapped for a different thread or overtapped so none of the screws would tighten properly ad in the duty and shipping and it wasn't worth it for me.

That said quite a few people in this group on facebook have bought Ricks from China so I'm sure they can tell ya if the seller you're looking at is consistent and/or reliable. I think most need a full setup and possible fret dress but after that you'd have a decent rick copy for the money.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/78514186083/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:35 am 

I've bought rakes of stuff off it and never had much of an issue. If something is really late they'll send you another one.

I mostly have pedals which have all been solid out. A mate has 2 P bases from there that are both very good, though instruments can be hit or miss I've heard.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:17 pm 

Well I took the plunge and I have to say the guitar is solid as a rock. The only flaw is the bridge, but that's just preference as I hate Rickenbacker bridges anyway.

Thanks for the replies above lads.